Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
12/6/08 8:44 a.m.

Does anyone here have any firsthand experience (or near firsthand) with the newest al-u-mini-um chassis macbooks that were released in oct '08? I am looking at the std, not the macbook pro.....

Thanks! Chebb_Sb

laz
laz New Reader
12/6/08 9:16 a.m.

I have the pro. It's ok.

The shiny screen took a little getting used to. The aluminum chassis is definitely stiffer than the prev gen macbook pro I had. This is most apparent when you're picking it up by 1 corner, the laptop just doesn't flex like the prev gen. The keyboard takes a little getting used to, as does the new trackpad without a button on it. There are fewer IO ports on the newer one, ah, and the battery doen't come with a button and LEDs, that's builtin to the laptop now (so if you get a spare, you can't tell how charged it is without putting it into the laptop).

Overall, I think it's better than its predecessor, but not by a huge margin.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
12/6/08 9:51 a.m.

Did you have the previous Macbook Pro ? My niece has the previous Macbook and loves it, but that all depends on what we have been using before....

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/6/08 9:53 a.m.

Personally, I'm disappointed. I want a matte screen (at least give me the option) and Firewire. I think the last gen was SUCH a good value they dumbed this one down a little to encourage more MB Pro sales.

laz
laz New Reader
12/6/08 6:56 p.m.

Yep, prev generation to new generation were both pro's. Work buys em, not me ;)

I agree with Tim about the glossy screen. If it was an option, I'd have gone with matte. Terminals with black background (where I spend most of my day) are annoying with the reflective shine.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
12/7/08 2:42 a.m.

I got my wife a mac book for her bday. Its my first experience with a mac and I have to say I am impressed. I used to hate on macs because they didn't have any decent games, and I have to say for day to day livablility it blows the regular pc away. I digg the aluminum case too, and the multi-touch track pad is pretty neat once you get used to it.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
12/7/08 4:09 a.m.

I love my glossy screen!!

It's much crisper for pics than my old matte screen. If I had to use it outdoors in sunshine the matte is better but inside the glossy screen is the way to go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MZ2PMmEG4yqdms3CRrd1yE3yrorCpTITbmS2uTe5lu0LrkERZoWOd7j7sfDn8KbR