1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/18 11:44 a.m.

You still may want to speak to a Lawyer. Not about pursuing any action against them but what if any actions you should take to protect you in the future. 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
9/16/18 11:45 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to fasted58 :

Thanks. 

I am not convinced any women said anything. I didnt work close enough with any 4 women to have offended them. 

I’m pretty convinced it was fabricated by senior management, without any explanation.  

That is absolutely despicable. 

You're in a huge future growth area so you should be well situated. The projected statistics are wowsa.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 11:47 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado :

Thanks!  I needed that!  Haha!!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/16/18 11:51 a.m.
dean1484 said:

You still may want to speak to a Lawyer. Not about pursuing any action against them but what if any actions you should take to protect you in the future. 

I'd agree with this, just for safety sake.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/16/18 12:04 p.m.

If they fabricated a case to release you, then I'd consider a letter from your lawyer . They understand a lawsuit will cost them and would likely cough up some funds to settle out of court. If they don't then you aren't compelled to pursue it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/16/18 12:07 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This. Those magic words they used can ruin your career. Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case right now, but for future protection it would be worth talking to someone and maybe keeping this place off your resume. 

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
9/16/18 12:07 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Well, you know it will happen. You've seen their management! ;)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado :

Well, I don’t know. 

It’s a pretty amazing business model that has an incredible amount of revenue flowing through it. 

The quality of the service they provide and the integrity of the ownership is different than the decisions management makes. 

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/18 12:41 p.m.

I would definitely pursue some sort of legal recourse just to cover your ass in the future. 

Especially if the women didnt say anything at all and it was just fabricated. Regardless you dont really want to be known as the guy who sexually harasses anyone and not fighting it looks like guilt

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to ThatsNoUsername :

I seriously doubt anyone is talking about it at all.  Especially if it is fabricated.

And  if I did fight it, there would still be almost zero employees who knew. 

I dont think a legal challenge changes anything at all about my reputation. 

Some people like me, some people don’t. Even happens on this board. wink

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/18 1:02 p.m.

I would absolutely talk to your lawyer about this, if only to hear them say ‘drop it’. 

I would have your lawyer send a letter to their HR saying that you categorically deny the accusations and believe them to be 100% false. 

If your lawyer thinks it’s a good idea, add a paragraph saying that although you do not currently intend to pursue legal action, you reserve the right to do so if it becomes necessary in the future. 

It is CRITICALLY important to get your denial on record NOW, even if it is just a 1-page letter sitting in a few filing cabinets - theirs, yours, and your attorney’s. 

Sorry that this kind of renders our other conversation moot. Good luck and let me know if I can help. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

No, not moot. Just a little back-burner. All help is greatly appreciated. 

Reserving the right to sue would negate my “severance”, which would cost me about $7K. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/18 1:09 p.m.

If they have you signing something like this then it is even more important that you get legal advice. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/16/18 1:56 p.m.

Also remember, these days harrassment can be anything.  Are you tall?  Loud?  A close talker?  That cost a long time politician his party membership up here.  

It can be less intention, and more interpretation these days.  

I would absolutely talk to a lawyer.  You don't want this to come back and bite you on the ass someday.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 2:33 p.m.

Thank you for your feedback.  I am not afraid. 

The point of this thread is to celebrate the new job, not bitch about the old. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/16/18 2:40 p.m.

Well then I hope you managed to wrangle a sponsorship deal for your next challenge entry out of the old/new boss.  That would be positive times ten! wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/16/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Just curious. When we discuss this before I think I mentioned possibility of talking to HR. If I recall correctly, felt that would be fruitless. Did you ever mention anything to HR?

daeman
daeman Dork
9/16/18 4:47 p.m.

Given the he current climate with things like #metoo, I'd walk away and not look back given your current situation.

A guy trying to take on a female dominated employer for sexual harassment/discrimination is going to be like pushing E36 M3 up hill.

Sure there's the matter of principal and the moral high ground, but sometimes you need to choose your battles, which it sounds like you're well aware of.

Meanwhile, congratulations on the new/old job. Funny how they seem to always value you more when they bring you back, that's a hell of a payrise

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/18 4:58 p.m.

Glad to hear about the new job. Getting out of the medical industry is certainly something to celebrate. There is a very slimy undercurrent that runs in it. 

Construction can be a little tense at times but it's certainly "cleaner" than a lot of places. 

Good luck, keep looking and moving forward. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/16/18 5:46 p.m.

Eh, if management is that toxic, bail. You done good. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/18 6:27 p.m.

Congrats on the new old job, with the nice raise!

<raises tea mug>

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Thanks!

It was one of the bolder moves I’ve ever made in negotiating. I had already lost my job when I pitched him, and I didn’t take his first offer. I countered $7K higher, and he took it. 

I was sweating.  But my LinkedIn account has been getting 30-40 hits a week for 6 months, and I realized I am a commodity.  I have something people are looking for.

Someday he will probably find out I was unemployed when I negotiated with him! winksurprise

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/16/18 8:54 p.m.

Hey...  I'm very sorry that you had to experience this horrible situation.  I was just talking with my wife the yesterday about missed opportunities and its true.. when one door closes another opens.  

Another thing Jeff Bezos taught me was don't make changes that are 1 way doors.. Always go down paths with 2 way doors..  So you can go back.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

You inspired me. wink

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/16/18 10:06 p.m.

Damn. I know you talked about the work environment some and it did seem ripe for this kind of hassle. I'm glad you came through it ok and it sounds like you're dealing with it in a very mature and healthy way. Good luck getting re-settled in the new role.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BnOelvq5OMUlTFHedmnxXorkUz47ReRIMsBUgGfE091zb5FfUkL1MxIhVvTOUFhy