phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/14/08 10:20 a.m.

Our family went to Niagara over the weekend. Cool place and seems to be a more environmentally friendly place than Philadelphia. So many bicyclists and bicycle friendly place. They even had electric rail trolleys (something that disappeared from Philly a while ago). I don't like the fact that its so expensive there since the dollar lost its value. They speak real fast there, so its hard to understand some of the tour guides.

I did get some pics of a Starion derivative. It was a Dodge turbo but I don't know what it was called. In very good condition. I'll post it when I get the time. I saw a couple of Hybrid electric SUVs (government owned). There were a handful of Smart cars including a diesel version. Do they ship the Diesel versions here to U.S.?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 11:35 a.m.

I want to visit Niagra someday. That and the Grand Canyon, etc.

BTW, that is the Dodge Conquest twin to the Mitsubishi Starion.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/14/08 11:41 a.m.

There was a company that imported and federalized the first gen smart car, I seem to remember laughing when I heard that they wanted $25,000+. For that kind of money, I could have bought 2 in Ontario, titled them in my brothers name and driven them down here no problem.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
7/14/08 8:34 p.m.

I grew up a few minutes away from "the falls" as we called it on the American side. As with many things you grow up with in your back yard i've never really appreciated it for what it is until recently. I've never done the Cave of the Winds for instance, and didn't do the Maid of the Mist until my late 20s. It is worth visiting though.

Scott

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/15/08 8:19 a.m.

We've been going every year for about the last 20yrs. It started as a cheap midwinter weekend away. In the middle of winter, you can still get a pkg with a room for 2 nights, breakfast both days, and dinner one night, for a little more than $100. The kids always liked swimming in the hotel pool in January, and we ussually got pretty lucky with the weather. We just went last month (minus the kids, now), and had a great time.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/17/08 11:17 a.m.

So here are those pics. I must say that for a car parked pretty close to the falls, there is no sign of rust. It would be very lucky for me to see one of these around here in Philadelphia.

Its not a Dodge now that I took a better look. Its a Chrysler. And I think its called a Daytona. Never heard of them which was why I thought it was a Dodge. Can you tell me more about these cars?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/17/08 11:48 a.m.

It also came in a Shelby edition. Friend's older brother owned one. Most have likely rusted away at this point. Not sure what other models it was related to (I was too busy drooling over the Lotus 7 a few houses down).

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/17/08 12:37 p.m.

Daytonas were very popular back in the '80's & '90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Daytona

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/08 12:47 p.m.

A coworker used to own a Daytona. She repainted it in the parking lot at work a couple of times. She'd try to stay in the lines, but just turned on the windshield wipers to get rid of overspray.

It seemed appropriate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p248KJM4EFuF91sNwUVwKucQjfTAHqdRGcFaBd7ViCV4la1y6ISL1a7ACCT1Mahf