Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/08 6:35 a.m.

newsday.com/news/local/ny-lirace1002,0,4842553.story

Cops: Four nabbed doing over 100 mph on LIE

BY JOHN VALENTI 12:35 PM EDT, October 1, 2008

Four Queens men were arrested and their cars confiscated after they raced at speeds in excess of 100 mph early Wednesday morning on the Long Island Expressway, Nassau County police said.

One of the cars had a license plate that read "HEYOFFCR" and three of the cars had windshield stickers that read "Place Ticket Here," with an arrow pointing to a spot under the windshield wipers, police said.

The four drivers, ages 19 to 22, told highway patrol officers they were returning from a night cruising Route 231, Deer Park Avenue, police said.

They are scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday in First District Court in Hempstead on a total of 16 misdemeanor charges, among them second-degree reckless endangerment and reckless driving, as well as a total of 38 traffic violations.

One of the impounded cars had illegal nitrous oxide, which is used to boost horsepower, police said.

The incident began at about 1:20 a.m. when Nassau Highway Patrol Officer Joseph Fernandez, having turned around at the county line, was entering the westbound Long Island Expressway at Exit 48, Round Swamp Road, police said.

On the entrance ramp, police said, Fernandez spotted a group of eight to 10 cars zoom past at a high rate of speed -- some of the cars darting in and out of the nighttime traffic, including weaving into and out of the HOV lane.

Nassau County police spokesman Det. Sgt. Anthony Repalone said Fernandez then activated the emergency lights on his patrol unit and attempted to initiate a traffic stop.

But the cars refused to stop, Repalone said.

So the officer made a radio call to other highway patrol units for assistance.

"He sees them in-and-out of traffic, headed toward the city," Repalone said, "and he radios ahead to other patrol units to set up a stop."

Two other highway patrol cars, with officers Samuel Ferrandino and Spiros Vouthas, managed to stop four of the cars in the pack after they were forced to slow down because of slower traffic near Exit 37, Mineola Avenue-Willis Avenue, in Roslyn Heights.

Police arrested Anil Isaac, 22, of 107th Avenue in Richmond Hill; Ziad Mohamed, 21, and his brother, Riad Mohamed, 19, both of 122nd Place in South Ozone Park; and Rajesh Prashaud, 21, of Lefferts Boulevard, South Ozone Park.

Each of the four were charged with second-degree reckless endangerment, reckless driving, unlawful fleeing from a police officer and participation in an illegal speed contest.

All of those charges are misdemeanors.

In addition, Issac was issued 12 summonses for violations ranging from obstructed driver's view to failure to stay in a lane to having an illegally tinted windshield. Ziad Mohamed received 11 violations, Riad Mohamed seven violations and Prashaud eight violations, police said.

A 2001 BMW, a 2004 Nissan, a 2004 Infinity and a 2006 Mazda RX8 were impounded.

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/08 7:37 a.m.

Vids. NOW.

Racedreamer
Racedreamer New Reader
10/2/08 7:44 a.m.

Serves them right. If you act like an a hole carma will be intouch.

I remember my street racing days. it wasn't the safest way of doing things be we never acted like that in traffic. Its just asking to be cuffed and stuffed.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
10/2/08 9:31 a.m.

> One of the impounded cars had illegal nitrous oxide

Huh??? Is nitrous illegal in New York?

Jack

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/2/08 9:42 a.m.

people never cease to amaze me. Do they think that antagonizing the officers with a license plate like that and window stickers like that are going to make the LEOs scared of them or something? This is why I stay away from the street racing crowd. My friends that drive like grandpas and have nice comfy cars are the ones I go chill with or go to bars with lol.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/08 9:52 a.m.
Jack wrote: > One of the impounded cars had illegal nitrous oxide Huh??? Is nitrous illegal in New York? Jack

If I remember right the bottle isn't supposed to be connected while the car is driven on the street. These asshats drive like this constantly. The come along in packs of 8-10 and when they get into traffic they start to weave in and out of the other cars.

EricM
EricM Reader
10/2/08 12:08 p.m.

Place ticket here..

those guys are my heros

EricM
EricM Reader
10/2/08 12:09 p.m.

A 2001 BMW, a 2004 Nissan, a 2004 Infinity and a 2006 Mazda RX8 were impounded.

At least thdy had good taste. No civics...

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/08 1:18 p.m.

No, their parents had good taste....

but bad judgement.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/2/08 2:19 p.m.

it is even worse on I-75 through atlanta at night. about 4 am driving all alone, and you can expect a gang of sport bike riders on your ass at about 150mph. they like to split around cars, one of the creepiest things ever.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/2/08 2:52 p.m.

maroon92, I saw that in Atlanta on Superbikes. Those guys are nuts.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/2/08 3:34 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: they like to split around cars, one of the creepiest things ever.

Does it make me sick in the head that I sometimes get the urge to swerve wildly when a bike does that to me on the highway?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XhbL26c0f5KnGT5WUyDeSuSQc1DKs5DOW3V1lBDPKrX31bO54YZ3WFntYPe9am7Y