1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
8/30/13 2:22 p.m.

for you. Not for me.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/30/13 3:20 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Wrong shotgun for the "trifecta" of awesome.

What the hell is better than an automatic 12 gauge by John motherberkeleying Browning?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
8/30/13 3:44 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Wrong shotgun for the "trifecta" of awesome.
What the hell is better than an automatic 12 gauge by John motherberkeleying Browning?

mY guess would be a bacon clothed virgin hottie bringing you beer and cheese.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
8/30/13 5:02 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
mY guess would be a bacon clothed virgin hottie bringing you beer and cheese.

Me thinks it's been a long time since you've been with a virgin and the nostalgia is clouding your memory!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
8/30/13 10:18 p.m.

Another owner of both M1 Carbine and Garand. Loading the mag in a Garand should slow down using it wrong. The bolt will mash your thumb pretty good if you don't do it right.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
8/31/13 5:43 a.m.

I guess m14s are also on that list. Not that ive ever seen one irl.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
8/31/13 8:01 a.m.

So does this mean that my 1943 M1 Garand just became more valuable?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/31/13 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Jaxmadine:

The gov has already shot down the suggestion of converting the M14s to semi auto and selling them more than once.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/31/13 9:53 a.m.

Well I am glad to see this has you guys focusing on the wrong thing. Biden let the cat out of the bag.

"If Congress won't act, we'll fight for a new Congress," Biden said in the Roosevelt Room of the White House. "It's that simple. But we're going to get this done."

Dead children, shot Representatives are powerful weapons in a tough mid-term election. Guess who just launched the first salvo into the GOP (well other than them shooting themselves in the foot?)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/31/13 10:03 a.m.

Crap almost forgot...POLITICAL POST!!!!

lewbud
lewbud HalfDork
8/31/13 10:19 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:

Old school Winchester Model 97 pump gun designed by John motherberkeleying Browning.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/31/13 11:13 p.m.

In reply to lewbud:

If pump why not the Win model 12 by John motherberkeleying Browning? Or the Ithaca 37 thats half designed by John motherberkeleying Browning? The other half being designed by John Pedersen, who John motherberkeleying Browning claimed to Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher (he was a pretty bad mother berkeleyer too) of U.S. Army Ordnance that Pedersen "was the greatest gun designer in the world".

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/1/13 5:44 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I don't have a problem with the other order, about blocking people who can't legally own a gun from playing legal shell games to get one. Just have to wonder how many dangerous criminals actually have the resources and inclination to jump through hoops to get a gun "legally" instead of just stealing one. But I can understand the, "This is a stupid loophole, let's close it" logic there. But banning importing a class of guns that (1) are of serious interest to collectors, (2) not any more dangerous than other, completely legal guns, and (3) have no real association with street crime makes zero sense to me. It doesn't even make sense in the world of empty symbolic gestures, unless the goal of your empty symbolic gesture is to annoy Clint Eastwood for his "chair" speech.

I don't have a fundamental issue with closing down the loophole but it's similar to the whole "gunshow loophole" that seems to be such an overblown topic. Usually the corporations or trusts are setup for automatic weapons or NFA trusts. The way that these worked was that every corporate officer had to go through a background check and only the officers could be in possession of the weapon. It's not as if you are registering the restricted item to a Happy Gun Corp and the FBI just ran a background check on Happy Gun Corp and none of the people associated with it which is what seems to be suggested. I suppose you could have a clean person file the paperwork with the FBI and ATF and setup a corporation to register the NFA item to, but why do that when they could simply straw buy several Hi-Points to later toss in a river rather than setup a paper trail with a corporation unless you really want that automatic weapon or silencer? NFA items are rarely used in any crime so this does very very little.

I think the part that irritates me is that the administration found a point where they can act so they did even though it will have a non-measureable effect on gun violence. The other issue is that this will only effect the re-importation of guns. This does nothing to stem Russian, Chinese, Slavic, Bulgarian, Austrian or other foreign made guns. It only affects a very specific subset of guns which are highly sought after collectible pieces of history and also very very rarely used in crimes.

Maybe I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago but this simply doesn't make sense and will accomplish nothing except drive up M1 prices. Maybe the Navy owns a couple dozen cases and wanted to dump them onto the inflated market to fund the Tomahawks going to Syria?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/1/13 10:51 p.m.
lewbud wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Old school Winchester Model 97 pump gun designed by John motherberkeleying Browning.

You sir, got it right. The '97 is a fine piece of voodoo magic. I don't even have the 1911, I have its predecessor. Its obvious Browning designed the 1903/8 with FNH before the design was also sold to colt. You don't need an external hammer nor an internal extractor. Colt probably added that E36 M3 themselves.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/2/13 6:08 p.m.

I mean, like, ZOMG... Guns don't kill people, people kill people, according to a Harvard study. Who knew? But wait a minute... If Pres O wants us to have less guns, and PER HARVARD, more guns means less violent crime, then, by extension, Pres O wants us to have MORE VIOLENT CRIME. OK, I understand now.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/2/13 9:51 p.m.

I remember quite a few years back in Nashville there was a drive by attempted on a guy that the gun jammed.

What did the shooter do?

Jumped out of the car, chased the guy across an abandoned lot, threw him against a wall and beat his skull in with a brick.

I think he wanted the guy dead.

jere
jere HalfDork
9/3/13 3:33 a.m.

Where s the link to the guy in china that killed 20 some school kids with a knife? These laws are immensely stupid they just don't seem to stop either Guess that's what we get with a system that elected officials get in office by having the most money/rich friends.

I remember those M1/14s from when I was a kid, heavy and annoying to load especially in a leather jacket, I for won't won't miss shooting one.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/3/13 8:45 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
lewbud wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
You sir, got it right. The '97 is a fine piece of voodoo magic. I don't even have the 1911, I have its predecessor. Its obvious Browning designed the 1903/8 with FNH before the design was also sold to colt. You don't need an external hammer nor an internal extractor. Colt probably added that E36 M3 themselves.

That's probably related to the 1911's military origins, so blame the government I guess.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/3/13 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

The external hammer was the military......they figured their average soldiers would shoot themselves and comrades without that weird thing on the back they had gotten used to from carrying revolvers.

The internal extractor, that one it hard to say. It is a very very unusual feature in the world of firearms. It also puts the weapon out of action if you have a spent casing jam in the chamber and it doesn't pull it out. External claws are a bit better fail safe. (Why Sig used external on their 1911)

Also, WHY THE HELL IS THERE A COMPLETELY POLITICAL POST ABOVE?!?!?!?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zc3rC2FE7ZPpC6pEpjxkg8ZbXLrEdDKBafGzjDE2mwhgkeCCaMlvT1OW6p2JNbDl