1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 9:20 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: The guy was squealing "I am over 90" like that is the speed at which death is imminent on the interstate. He was saying he was trying to control the car. Does a Prius become wildly unstable at 90? Al Gore's kid was doing 100 mph in his Prius while smoking a joint with no apparent problems.

The speed did not harsh his mellow, dood!

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
3/10/10 10:13 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I didn't think there even is a throttle plate in a diesel. At least there wasn't on my 92 Cummins Ram,but then again that was more like an old tractor than anything built these days.
Diesels don't have a throttle plate.

Some of the new diesels will certainly confuse people though. They have 'throttle-like' devices in the air intake to increase the amount of EGR the engine picks up (I don't know if this is new or if I've just never noticed it on a diesel before). They close the 'EGR-throttle' at low power/RPM to create vacuum in the intake and suck in exhaust gas. They don't actually use it to control engine RPM though.

Bob

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
3/10/10 10:35 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
Cotton wrote: They're recalling them http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704784904575111503873150166.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEADNewsCollection
umm.. no they are not. did you read that article.

Yes I did. They actually made a mistake and changed the article 40 minutes after they originally posted. Apparently the Toyota PR WSJ spoke with didn't realize the Prius is already on a recall list, or misspoke, causing the confusion. http://jalopnik.com/5489414/wsj-toyota-pr-dont-know-prius-already-recalled

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
3/10/10 10:38 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: The guy was squealing "I am over 90" like that is the speed at which death is imminent on the interstate. He was saying he was trying to control the car. Does a Prius become wildly unstable at 90? Al Gore's kid was doing 100 mph in his Prius while smoking a joint with no apparent problems.

If he was over 90 on the road I live on, in a Prius, he'd be berkeleyed. Good thing it happened where it did.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
3/10/10 12:11 p.m.

I think Mr. Sikes is a either a hustler, an agent of GM, UAW, Honda or all of the above. His BS sounds coached.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
3/10/10 12:25 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

all i could find after looking is that forward and reverse gears have to be separated by neutral, all the rest is up to the manufacturer apparently. and even that requirement might have been removed, but i'm not going to subscribe to some news site to get a story from december 1999.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
3/10/10 12:35 p.m.

actually, here it is:

NHTSA said: Standard No. 102 - Transmission Shift Lever Sequence, Starter Interlock, and Transmission Braking Effect - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, and Buses (Effective 1-1-68) This standard specifies the requirements for the transmission shift lever sequence, a starter interlock, and for a braking effect of automatic transmissions, to reduce the likelihood of shifting errors, starter engagement with vehicle in drive position, and to provide supplemental braking at speeds below 40 km/h (25 mph).

Standard No. 102's purpose is to reduce deaths and injuries resulting from misshifting. Since 1968, the standard has ensured against misshifting by specifying the sequence in which gears for automatic transmissions must be selected. Paragraph S3.1.1 of the standard, Location of transmission shift lever positions on passenger cars,'' requires that[a] neutral position shall be located between forward drive and reverse drive positions. If a steering-column-mounted transmission shift lever is used, movement from neutral position to forward drive position shall be clockwise. If the transmission shift lever sequence includes a park position, it shall be located at the end, adjacent to the reverse drive position.'' That is, the gear selection is required to be in the park, reverse, neutral, drive, and low (PRNDL) sequence.

Read more: http://regulations.vlex.com/vid/shift-lever-sequence-conventional-levers-23374195#ixzz0hnfrc5nf

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 1:05 p.m.

How did a Prius hit 90mph???

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 1:16 p.m.

They added TeRD

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/10/10 2:17 p.m.

The Woz has a fast Prius.

Al Gore has an even faster Prius.

These are old news. This new guy must have had low batteries if he didn't get over 90...downhill...with a stuck throttle.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/10/10 3:17 p.m.

Thanks for the 102 information, though the link was to a proposal. The most up to date CFR citation is this:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.102.pdf

There are various proposals to change it due to hybrid technological differences. I rather strongly suspect the Prius "B" position is an example of this.

The whole language is based on a "shift lever", which the lawyers and engineers would argue an electrical actuator is not.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/10 7:40 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I didn't think there even is a throttle plate in a diesel. At least there wasn't on my 92 Cummins Ram,but then again that was more like an old tractor than anything built these days.
Diesels don't have a throttle plate.
Some of the new diesels will certainly confuse people though. They have 'throttle-like' devices in the air intake to increase the amount of EGR the engine picks up (I don't know if this is new or if I've just never noticed it on a diesel before). They close the 'EGR-throttle' at low power/RPM to create vacuum in the intake and suck in exhaust gas. They don't actually use it to control engine RPM though. Bob

The Egr valve is not a throttle.... but don't worry with the addition of urea, they are no longer needed. Turbo match has been drastically freed up and the engines will get a great deal more efficent.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 7:59 p.m.

I want to know what sick person working in a diesel lab suddenly thought to pee in the thing to get the emissions under control...

speedblind
speedblind Reader
3/10/10 8:22 p.m.

Plenty of things can be fixed by peeing on them.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/10 8:25 p.m.
P71 wrote: I want to know what sick person working in a diesel lab suddenly thought to pee in the thing to get the emissions under control...

ughh

It's not the urea that clears it up.. The urea bonds with the N0x and allows it to be reacted inside a cat converter....

but thats ok...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/10/10 8:32 p.m.

So somebody peed inside a catalytic converter? Hope he had plenty of insulation.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 9:11 p.m.

Same difference. Somehow, somewhere, a person thought to use pee as the solution to a problem. It's sort of sick and fascinating all at the same time.

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
3/10/10 10:28 p.m.

I think all GRMers with interesting Toyotas, not toasters, should drive past cops doing 100+ and when they get pulled over just proclaim: "Sorry officer, I wasn't speeding I was unintendedly accelerating." Hmm, that would make a nicer bumper sticker.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/11/10 6:05 a.m.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/09/opinion/la-oe-fumento9-2010mar09

This guy keeps it in perspective. Yes, mechanical failures are scary, but as autoxers say...

"Tighten the loose nut behind the wheel".....

That would have the biggest impact on traffic deaths... Cause thats what we want to do with all this toyota hoopla, right, is stop traffic deaths... Not a witch hunt...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kfOmNOMlFVabqI2ODDe29UyNZtDXzi6kMndiLdu3uBZq2buKI2SW0n0B6u3Agh7F