1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/17/14 2:19 p.m.

Well...

The job i took this past early summer with the same company i've been with since 2007 has turned a bit ugly. I'm glad i took it from a perspective of things i learned to do, and the "honor" that came with being the "elite."

However, there's some nasty E36 M3 brewing above us that's probably a culmination of everything we've done over the years trying to fix things. Big business doesn't like squeeky wheels, and they're sniffing for reasons to clean house. I think i'd like to exit the ride while my hands and feet are still intact.

Problem: I've been here for too long. I used to be pretty computer savvy. I've been left behind there, so that's not a very viable option anymore. All i'm good at is what i do now, and i believe my company is the only game in town.

SO: What can i do that typically pays around $20/hr + overtime or ~$60k salary? I have no degree of any kind, and don't feel strongly enough about any specific career path to feel like going back to school would be a good idea.

Things i'm good at: Analyzing large chunks of data to detect problems and give recommendations on how to fix it. Health insurance things. (Experience in many areas)

And that's about it.

I'm at a loss, here. The only thing i can of is working in a billing office at a hospital, and i can't imagine i'd have a great chance against all the college kids that went to school for something in a related field.

The
The HalfDork
4/17/14 8:26 p.m.

try doing a job you would enjoy....there are nichs here and there for a good all around guy who does not mind getting his hands dirty and learning.......dont know how old you are or if you are spoused up..but i tell young folks, airforce, navy see the world.....good luck, be happy that is the hardest job of them all. remember you named me "The" so to infininty and beyound....explore, talk to old people you respect...take a deep breath..don't be in a hurry...

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/17/14 9:01 p.m.

Check out Verisk Health. I think there's at least one open role there that might be up your alley. Send me your resume if you apply so I can claim a referral bonus. :)

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/17/14 9:15 p.m.

You could start hawking f2t parts for tens, maybe dozens of dollars.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/17/14 9:31 p.m.

Consultant in your field?

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 9:45 p.m.

Try hitting up headhunters in your area about data analyst positions. make a ton of money but may have some travel.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/17/14 9:56 p.m.

LinkedIn connections?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/14 11:38 p.m.

Did you ever apply/send in a resume where I work? With your experience I'm sure our company would be interested.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/17/14 11:43 p.m.

Hey Pete, I didn't, just because I ended up taking a chance on this current position last time. I'm going to work on the resume this weekend and will forward it to you first if you don't mind.

Everyone else, I appreciate the input and will reply tomorrow. Fighting insomnia right now and need to be back at work in 5 hours so I need to turn in I guess.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/17/14 11:47 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Did you ever apply/send in a resume where I work? With your experience I'm sure our company would be interested.

I've heard that one before lol.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/17/14 11:52 p.m.

Are you willing to move?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/18/14 7:54 a.m.

Gas, Water, and Electric Utilities all have to analyze large amounts of data for Federal DOT reporting. Keeping track of things like valves, pipe lengths, pipe materials, etc are all never ending issues in gas utilities. I've often thought that if I had to call myself anything besides a "Mapping Analyst", I'd call myself a "Data Analyst" because a lot of times I'm looking at just numbers without the graphical representations.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/14 8:18 a.m.

Data analyst positions are huge, especially in healthcare fields.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 9:05 a.m.
The wrote: try doing a job you would enjoy....there are nichs here and there for a good all around guy who does not mind getting his hands dirty and learning.......dont know how old you are or if you are spoused up..but i tell young folks, airforce, navy see the world.....good luck, be happy that is the hardest job of them all. remember you named me "The" so to infininty and beyound....explore, talk to old people you respect...take a deep breath..don't be in a hurry...

The problem is that i've been thinking about a job i would enjoy for years. I can't come up with one. I'm just after a paycheck.

szeis4cookie wrote: Check out Verisk Health. I think there's at least one open role there that might be up your alley. Send me your resume if you apply so I can claim a referral bonus. :)

Thanks, i'll check that out.

Spoolpigeon wrote: You could start hawking f2t parts for tens, maybe dozens of dollars.

I could become a dozenaire!

Toyman01 wrote: Consultant in your field?

I've wondered about that... but don't have the first idea how to get into something like that.

ryanty22 wrote: Try hitting up headhunters in your area about data analyst positions. make a ton of money but may have some travel.

The problem with presenting myself as a data/business analyst is that i've never had the title. For about 5 years, my job FUNCTION was pretty much that of a Business Analyst within the company, but i still just had a Claims Processor title. Makes for a tough resume to sell myself on my true capabilities.

mtn wrote: Are you willing to move?

Eventually, we'd like to. But now is not the time.

PHeller wrote: Gas, Water, and Electric Utilities all have to analyze large amounts of data for Federal DOT reporting. Keeping track of things like valves, pipe lengths, pipe materials, etc are all never ending issues in gas utilities. I've often thought that if I had to call myself anything besides a "Mapping Analyst", I'd call myself a "Data Analyst" because a lot of times I'm looking at just numbers without the graphical representations.

Sounds like something i could do... do these types of positions typically require a degree, though? That's my biggest obstacle i think. I've been functioning at a level that normally requires a degree in this company for years, mostly due to experience, smarts (I R teh smrt), and a willingness to learn. However, that probably doesn't translate well to positions outside the company that require degrees.

dj06482 wrote: Data analyst positions are huge, especially in healthcare fields.

They most certainly are. Especially when batting clean up. The stories i couldn't tell.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 9:15 a.m.

Anyways, i'm really good with numbers, and i suppose if i were forced to go back to school, it'd be for Accounting of some sort. Our Vendor Interface team here has suggested in the past that i go to school for Business Analyst things, but that seemed silly since they often hire people within with no degree for those positions. I've also been told i should get certifications for Systems Testing.

Basically... i'm really OCD and analytical, which in the past has let me crank through 50,000 line spreadsheets full of data in an accurate manner and identify problems as they happen, rather than 6 months down the road. To toot my own horn, in my last position, i was probably responsible for catching more problems on incoming "feeds" than the people who are actually paid to catch them.

I also have a good friend here that works in Sales Engineering at a large ISP/POS provider and thinks i'd be great for that job. My worry is that i've fallen so far behind on the tech front that it'd be a LONG process to get caught up just so i can even get the CISCO certs required. Plus side: MONSTER amounts of money in that field at his company.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/18/14 9:46 a.m.

How's your SQL? If you're handy with MSAccess, SQL Server's not at all a giant leap. https://careers.verisk.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-7662&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 9:52 a.m.

I have no SQL or MSAccess experience at all.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
4/18/14 10:17 a.m.

SFO....

sounds to me that you learn stuff quickly... you are more than competent at doing your job...

problem seems to be finding a job is different then doing a job. Try to look at it differently... bring your strengths into finding a job...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 10:21 a.m.

I may have actually already found a lead with Tek Systems. Polishing the resume this weekend then will try to set up lunch with one of their Project Managers just to talk.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
4/18/14 11:36 a.m.

Where do you live? There are alot of Business Aanalysts positions here for the state govt. I also looked at a few in the finance area.

And good luck w/ Tek Systems. I have a recruiter from AeroTek( their sister company ) that I really like and trust. I can give you her info if you want.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 11:38 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: Where do you live? There are alot of Business Aanalysts positions here for the state govt. I also looked at a few in the finance area. And good luck w/ Tek Systems. I have a recruiter from AeroTek( their sister company ) that I really like and trust. I can give you her info if you want.

I'm in Indianapolis.

If you could send me her info that'd be great! Email through the board is current and checked often. Thanks!

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
4/18/14 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: Done... Hope it works out for you. She's a really good person. Tell her that William Rouse in NC gave you her info.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 11:53 a.m.

Excellent thank you.

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/18/14 12:10 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
ryanty22 wrote: Try hitting up headhunters in your area about data analyst positions. make a ton of money but may have some travel.
The problem with presenting myself as a data/business analyst is that i've never had the title. For about 5 years, my job FUNCTION was pretty much that of a Business Analyst within the company, but i still just had a Claims Processor title. Makes for a tough resume to sell myself on my true capabilities.

Not necessarily If you can show them competence in doing the job and let them know you have no problem getting the certifications for doing work that you can already do they dont care. My wife didnt have the specific certs and now she is mgmnt with one of the big banks here in NC in their projects dept. she is on the project mgr level based solely on her abilities to work with the developers and the business side of things

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
4/18/14 3:45 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Not necessarily If you can show them competence in doing the job and let them know you have no problem getting the certifications for doing work that you can already do they dont care. My wife didnt have the specific certs and now she is mgmnt with one of the big banks here in NC in their projects dept. she is on the project mgr level based solely on her abilities to work with the developers and the business side of things

ryanty22 is right. Also, a good recruiter knows how to and will take the time to get to know you, understand you and fight on your behalf. A title it just words that someone put on you. Be it your current boss, or you. As long as the skills fit, it should be ok. The AeroTek recuiter I sent you was very good about understanding who I am and what I was looking for and what I had done. I cant say enough good about her. She really wanted to place me in the best fit for me, not just the one that would give her the best commission.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IjxFxg69yYMDqH1atyQoHRN6Zl4Cytc2BGJ0dIIMCyzVV4hvylhIOYaCPvT1tJns