1 2
maddabe
maddabe Reader
3/10/15 4:31 p.m.

Anyone else on the tamiya re release train? I'm already Frog, Hotshot and Grasshopper deep. This is a dangerous addiction.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/15 5:21 p.m.

I had the original Porsche 934 RSR and LM01 Cheetah. Are we talking that old school?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/10/15 6:36 p.m.

A friend of mine had the Brat and years later my brother had one called the fox.

Edit: looks like they have a new version of the fox.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/10/15 7:28 p.m.

Wow. My first real RC car was a Tamiya Sand Scorcher. Still have most of the big pieces at my parents house. Apparently they're worth a lot more now than they were in 1980 or so .

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
3/10/15 8:33 p.m.

Great. I haven't looked at Tamiya in years and I just found out they have an RC version of the 1977 Walter Wolf F1 car. I didn't need to know this.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/10/15 8:39 p.m.

I'm a Kyosho guy. They re-released the scorpion recently, which is cool, but I'm waiting for the optima.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/10/15 8:45 p.m.

Will we see a retro RC10 or JrX2? Lets hope so.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/10/15 8:54 p.m.

They've already re-released the RC-10, however it was made in China, not the US as the original was.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/15 10:14 p.m.
Duke wrote: I had the original Porsche 934 RSR and LM01 Cheetah. Are we talking that old school?

The Cheetah had a locker rear, or maybe even no diff. It was a riot to drive once I overpowered it a little. I drove both of these cars until they literally wore out and fell apart.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
3/10/15 11:17 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Will we see a retro RC10 or JrX2? Lets hope so.

I have an original JRX2 w/the 5-link. Has an original Novak T4 ESC and period RPM upgrades as well. Previous owner cut the chassis for dirt oval racing. I'm passively searching for a new chassis as I'd like to put it back to shelf queen status. Not sure if it's been harder to find a clean chassis or a complete hydra-drive.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/10/15 11:33 p.m.

they're re-releasing tamiya cars? That's awesome! My dad had a whole bunch of them, including the grasshopper you mention. Also the lunchbox, and a few others.

Are they by chance making parts for the countach? I think my dad is out of spare parts for that so he retired it while it was still in working order. Would be cool to get that running again.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
3/11/15 7:46 a.m.

I just sold my original RC10, complete with all the Fiberglass upgrades that were all the rage back then. Still waiting for old school pan cars to become 'vintage'....I've got an L3 and an L3O that I wouldn't mind selling too.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/11/15 8:29 a.m.
Mazda787b wrote:
I have an original JRX2 w/the 5-link. Has an original Novak T4 ESC and period RPM upgrades as well. Previous owner cut the chassis for dirt oval racing. I'm passively searching for a new chassis as I'd like to put it back to shelf queen status. Not sure if it's been harder to find a clean chassis or a complete hydra-drive.

I could never get my 5 link car to work. It was finally somewhat driveable after I did the H arm conversion; it still never had the suspension travel my RC10 did.

My last RC10 had almost no Associated parts left, it was an A&L trailing arm chassis (almost the exact same rear suspension geometry as an E30 BMW), MIP transmission, various other aftermarket bits. I still used the original shock bodies with aftermarket guts, the front suspension mount blocks and control arm pins. Yes it was expensive but man was that a sweet handling car.

A&L chassis, this one is carbon fiber. There was a fiberglass kit available too.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/11/15 12:36 p.m.

You should check out rc10talk.com.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/11/15 4:31 p.m.

We never used the term carbon fiber. Back then graphite was king.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/15 4:46 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

No, I shouldn't.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/11/15 10:59 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to JamesMcD: No, I shouldn't.

I wasn't talking to you anyhow.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/12/15 7:29 a.m.

Re-release? I still have my old Brat/Frog from 1983, although it hasn't been run on 20+ years. The one I really want is the old Bruiser/Toyota Hi-lux. I just have to remind myself I have too many expensive hobbies as-is without restarting another one...

slefain
slefain UberDork
3/12/15 9:19 a.m.

Vintage RC you say?

Yup, they have many of the kits you wanted as a child but could never afford. Here's the trick though: now you are an adult with money. A Tamiya Lunchbox is only $115. Then you go dig out your old RC cars (I've got a Traxxas Bullet and a Tamiya Falcon). Now you need a new 2.4gHz radio ($100), new motor ($20), new battery ($20). Oh, and your vintage RC has some parts missing, so it is off to eBay and Craigslist. And so on and so on.

So in other words DO IT!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
3/12/15 11:08 a.m.

I started with a Grasshopper in about 1984. Ran the hell out of that thing. After I put the hot motor in it, it was almost uncontrollable, even with aftermarket shocks that were oil damped. You could run it WOT forward and throw it straight to full reverse and it would spin 180 degrees and keep hauling ass on the same trajectory, just running backwards. We clocked it with my dad driving his van and me sitting in the passenger seat with the radio. It would pull a solid 25mph.

Later I got a Traxxis Hawk tuck, but it never ran as well or was as much fun as the 'Hopper. I still have the truck but no radio. I gave up on them when got my license and a full scale car to wrench on, but I sure learned a lot of mechanickin' at 1/10 scale.

I've looked at the reissue kits. If I didn't already have so many hobbies I'd be on that like white on rice.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/12/15 11:20 a.m.

I gave away/sold/donated all my RC stuff. The last one I had was an RS4 rally car. My RC10 that I got in the 80's has been gone for years. The only RC stuff that I can see getting into anytime soon is sailboats. They intrigue me a bit and I have water in the backyard.

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
4/11/15 11:48 a.m.

Speaking of old RC, I have an ancient(?) RC10T kit that's been rolling around my basement for awhile. Free to a good home (you pay shipping) if anyone here wants it. Plain aluminum chassis, Tekin speed controller, Futaba 75mhz receiver & a stock motor. Photos here.

I got heavy into 1/8th scale gas buggies several years ago, lower-end stuff like OFNA but we had a great time bashing through construction sites, etc. I'd like to get at least one of those buggies back on the road but kids / work eat up most of my time.

TOM

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/15 12:01 p.m.
maddabe wrote: Anyone else on the tamiya re release train? I'm already Frog, Hotshot and Grasshopper deep. This is a dangerous addiction.

They're doing what now.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/15 7:25 p.m.
maddabe wrote: Anyone else on the tamiya re release train? I'm already Frog, Hotshot and Grasshopper deep. This is a dangerous addiction.

I've avoided it so far but if the release the 959 I may get sucked in.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
4/11/15 7:34 p.m.

I almost bought a lunchbox instead of my Evader. In the end, it came down to cost and difficulty.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SO5RrB6S00TFWgqmELzASyjOgwYjCrUYnmAzE2m1REisbXtDc3Qzy2DRkBjCqDkc