Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/18 11:00 a.m.

So it looks like the Dancer's ancient computer may finally (though I've been thinking this for years now admittedly) be on its last legs, and she's decided that she wants a decent laptop to replace both it and the netbook (effectively, it's got like a 20GB SSD) that currently uses for her non-profit work stuff. My suggestion, given how much she complains about the newer Windows systems and dislikes learning new computer things, is to get her a MacBook of some sort since generally Apple is pretty consistent with UI between updates and it will be easier for me to both keep it up to date and I can easily set it up to use our Time Capsule to back up her data so we don't have to worry about her losing files if something happens to it.

Woot.com, my general go-to these days for inexpensive computer & electronics stuff, has a couple of options for much-cheaper-than-new MB/MBAs- including this which would be very nice price-wise:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-macbook-air-11-intel-i5-128g-laptop-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_3_2

The problem is, it's a 4-year-old model. That in and of itself doesn't completely deter me- my powerhouse video editing iMac is even older and still works great (yeah, I'd love a newer one, but not at the $2k+ it would cost), but the memory in particular on the Air is a lot lower than my iMac. There are also other slightly newer ones, like this:

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/apple-12-intel-core-m-256g-ssd-macbooks-38?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_3_4

That has twice the memory, but also just has one USB-C port which we don't have anything that uses and would need adapters to use anything we have.

She does primarily Word/Excel (well, OpenOffice, but close enough) work on it and some updating of the website. Does anyone who has or has had these models or similar ones have any advice on them? Thanks!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/18 5:26 p.m.

I have an older Air I use for just surfing and email and while it was great for a while, the battery swelled so much it distorted the keyboard and I can't use it anymore. It's not worth enough to fix it. Other than that it worked great for a long time. I really don't know the specifics on which models do that but it was a fairly widespread problem.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/18 5:40 p.m.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3681221

Basically if you didn't have AppleCare aka the extended warranty, you're on your own to pay for replacement.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+Models+A1237+and+A1304+Battery+Replacement/848

That said, looks like you can replace it yourself for under $100, depending on the exact model you have.

Similar to the TimeCapsule that I found at the local Goodwill with the blown internal power supply.  $30 for a new power supply and I've got a 1TB backup solution.  I just upgraded the internal drive to a 2TB for about $20.  Compared to what a new TimeCapsule or similar quasi-NAS solutions costs, that isn't bad, IMO.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/27/18 9:32 p.m.

I'm currently typing this on a Mid-2013 Macbook Air.  Mine has the i7 processor, but only 4 gigs of ram.  It's my everything machine, office products, web surfing, home video editing and games.  I'm not a big gamer, but it ran Portal and Portal two without issue.  I think the first one you posted is a good deal and should do everything she would need. No issues with it and I can't imagine replacing it for a few more years. 

My only "upgrade" was an almost flush fit tiny drive to double the storage for things like photos, videos, etc.

-Rob

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
9/27/18 9:58 p.m.

If you are considering those two, without a doubt I would get the 12”, just because of the better screen (Retina display).  The air has a 1366x768 resolution display.  I know this is going to sound elitist, but that is barley acceptable at the 11” screen size of the air.  Add in the 8gb of ram vs 4gb and 256 gb PCIe solid state drive vs 128gb Sata ssd and the 12” will have a much greater life time.  Yes, the one usb-c port stinks, but get a usb-c port expander for the desk.   You probably won’t miss it.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/27/18 11:29 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

I'm currently typing this on a Mid-2013 Macbook Air

Same here, 4 gig, i5. Indestructible. THe new ones are not as great but anything pre 2015 is fantastic and with a SSD still as fast as anything today.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/18 8:26 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys! Now I just have to sell the unused computer so I can get the new laptop...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/18 8:48 a.m.

I’ve got two mid-2012s - one 15” and one 13”. Last ones where you could still dump in RAM. Put in an SSD, replace the optical drive with the HDD, stuff in some memory and it’s fantastic. Runs the latest OS without blinking and rock solid hardware with MagSafe and all the ports you want. 

Seriously, Apple just needs to put this machine back into production. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 9:48 a.m.
crankwalk said:

I have an older Air I use for just surfing and email and while it was great for a while, the battery swelled so much it distorted the keyboard and I can't use it anymore. It's not worth enough to fix it. Other than that it worked great for a long time. I really don't know the specifics on which models do that but it was a fairly widespread problem.

I might be interested in buying it off of you if it is just laying around... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbIZHBHAGycb5lQNEfRpkhQyjxbrP4XMSeCYagerGpNgdlU7epvHm3HSoh6WbVfy