Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/13/18 8:13 a.m.

I got some awesome suggestions from you guys when I went to San Diego a few months ago, so I'll give it another shot.

Taking a business trip to Sioux Falls SD in August.  Because you "can't get there from here", I'm going to fly into Minneapolis and drive to Sioux Falls.  It'll take me less time than trying to fly to Sioux Falls because I can fly direct.  It's a 3.5 hour drive and I like driving anyway.  Just like my last trip, my flight lands at 10:30am and I don't need to be in Sioux Falls until the next morning.  So I've got time to kill.  Probably should find somewhere to log in and work, but why not take the opportunity to explore a little.  So I can either hang out in Minneapolis after I land, or drive to Sioux Falls (get there by mid-afternoon) and check out something there.

Ideas to just kill some time and "see the country"?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/13/18 8:54 a.m.

Better check that drive time, it's a solid 4+ hour drive without traffic.  Considerably longer if you take the two lanes, because instead of teaching how to pass in drivers-ed MN apparently only teaches how to form a mile long line of tailgaters.

I fly out of Sioux Falls all the time for work,  you can usually get in/out with just one layover to pretty much anywhere. 

There's a million things to do in Minneapolis,  but the Mall of America is convenient to the airport and generally recommended. Beyond that it depends on what you are into. 

On the drive,  if you take the two lanes maybe detour through New Ulm and take the tour of the grain belt brewery? It was a good afternoon activity last time I went through there.  That detour puts you driving through the heart of Little House on the Prairie country too, if you are into that stuff. 

If you take the interstate stop at the Blue Earth rest stop and read the historical markers.  I think it's still got the golden spike stuff there.

Swing by Falls Park while you are in town; it's not Niagara but it's also seldom busy and pretty peaceful.  Think bonsai,  not redwood.  The zoo used to have one of the best collections of stuffed trophy animals anywhere,  a donation from a rich safari hunter back in the day, and it was worth seeing if you appreciate that sort of stuff. 

Let me know when you are coming and I'll see about swinging down and meeting you for dinner or something.  I'm just over an hour north of Sioux Falls and can usually get free. If you feel the need to wrench on or shoot something you can also swing by and we'll feed you here and let you play with the toys.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/13/18 9:01 a.m.

I had recommendations for S. CaI but I got nothing for Dakotas.  I never had to travel there. I wish I had. I like these kind of business travel adventures. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/13/18 9:44 a.m.

Oldopelguy's recommendations are good, although it's actually the Schell's brewery in New Ulm (they make Grain Belt there as well.)  :) There's also a decent brewery in Mankato which is right on the way and not far from New Ulm.  The first 100 miles or so of the drive from Minneapolis going west on highway 169 is pretty scenic, with some nice historical towns along the way - besides Mankato and New Ulm, St. Peter is a nice place to stop and look around.  Henderson is a little town along that stretch that has a pretty good classic car cruise-in on Tuesday nights.

Assuming you're traveling on a weekday for business I can't recommend any particular events or festivals in Minneapolis, but on the other hand a weekday would be good for visiting museums, etc. if that's your thing.  The Mall of America is pretty impressive if you're into shopping.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/13/18 10:26 a.m.

Sioux Falls has a great Harley dealer.  Well worth stopping in for a cup of coffee and a look around.  We usually stop there on the way to Sturgis, just because.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/13/18 1:21 p.m.

Thanks gang.  Mall of America is certainly a consideration because it would be a "sight to see" that's unique...but I'm not much of a shopper.  Besides, I spent 20 years living within a half hour of the largest shopping mall in the country, King of Prussia, so a big mall is nothing new to me.  Not 100% King of Prussia is the biggest, but if it isn't, it's top 5 for sure.  Though maybe I go snag lunch there on my way out.  I'll take the highway toward Sioux Falls.  I'm not a drinker, so alcohol related stops are out.  Falls Park sounds good, or maybe some of those older small towns just to see are cool. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/18 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I couldn't give less of a crap about shopping either, but Mall of America was still worth the quick hour or so a coworker and I killed there before our flight out. I'll admit that it took a decent bit of will power not to walk out of the Lego store with anything. 

madhatter
madhatter New Reader
7/13/18 2:42 p.m.

I was in Sioux Falls on my way to Badlands NP when my battery died. Plenty of auto parts stores. Friendly folks that i encountered. There is a kinda goofy dinosaur park that was a total find-roadside-attraction thing. We had fun while there. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/13/18 5:20 p.m.

You could stop by blue mounds state park  and check out the bison. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mounds_State_Park

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/18 6:52 p.m.

Minneapolis. Drive down old cedar. Stop at Matt's bar. Get an ice cold grain belt and a jucy Lucy. The other place not far from there is a bunch of liars. Bonus, it's not far from moa. The como zoo in st paul is free, and a neat way to kill time. Theres also the Walker, the Minneapolis institute of arts, a pretty lively pinball scene (s+s in Hopkins is run by an old friend- lloyd.  Super cool guy, some seriously neat pins. ) southdale mall is one of the oldest malls in the country- so that's that. Theres also some of the banginest bbq anywhere- I'm partial to big daddy's on university and dale (seriously, 3 days of smoke smell in my beard after that place). Rack shack on either Robert or 13 and cliff is good too- theres also scott Jamamas in Minneapolis on diamond lake across from Cathay- one of the best kept secrets in Chinese. Place is so old my uncle washed dishes there back in the late 60s. Probably the last time they changed the egg roll grease too. Totally worth it. 

As mentioned, there are many breweries. I'm partial to flat earth off minnehaha and 7th in the railroad district of st paul- because I used to work there. Bob the brewmaster is an amazing person with the beers, franco (one of the owners) knows a E36 M3load of history about the building and area. Theres also surly brewing, lift bridge, and God knows how many others. The beer scene is deeeeeeeeep. 

Honestly, if they'd just shut off winter , it would be the perfect place to live. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/13/18 7:42 p.m.

Cabela’s in Rogers, MN.  People love it.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/13/18 7:46 p.m.

On 494 near Bloomington look south and you’ll see this ski jump.  You ain’t seeing this crap in the Carolinas    

Crazy Swedes.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/18 8:41 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

On 494 near Bloomington look south and you’ll see this ski jump.  You ain’t seeing this crap in the Carolinas    

Crazy Swedes.

Drove by that thing nearly every day for decades. Still never saw anyone on it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/13/18 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Drove by 50+ times and never saw a jump. 

But it’s there to intimidate the flat landers. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/18 9:57 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Theres one in Woodbury that I suspect does the same thing. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/13/18 10:09 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Drove by that thing nearly every day for decades. Still never saw anyone on it. 

I used to be able to see it from the window of my old office.  Every so often there were people jumping off it.  smiley

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/14/18 4:20 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Theres one in Woodbury that I suspect does the same thing. 

Technically it’s in the south end of Maplewood. Easily seen (in the 9 non summer months) from I494.

Just took these tonight. Look through the trees you will see the ramp of doom. 

Yes, we have so many places and opportunities to get drunk around here. Not sure what that says about us here? But it’s a popular theme around the nation now. Anyhow I thought OP said alcohol wasn’t really in his plans for this trip?

I have never lived in the west metro but there is an aweful lot of nice scenery around Wayzata, Excelsior and around much of Lake Minnetonka, much of which can be seen by roadway. It’s pretty much take your pick of what you want to do.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/14/18 4:41 p.m.

Yes, alcohol is not part of my trip plans.  I don't drink, at all.  My beverage of choice will be an ice cold caffeine free diet Coke.  For a short trip like this, I'm only going to have half of a day, I want to just see the sights.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/14/18 5:28 p.m.

There is Ellingson Car Museum in Rogers and Hooked on Classics, which is more of a classic car dealership, are both on the western side of the metro area and somewhat “on the way” to your ultimate destination. 

I’m sure there are some worthy stops in SoDak, just haven’t been out there recently to give you any first hand advice.

TJL
TJL New Reader
7/14/18 8:44 p.m.

I havent spent a ton of time in Minneapolis but have flown through to visit other places like Albert lea, Wells, mankato. Not a huge fan of the city after being in some amazing little corn town. Mall of America was kinda sad. Just a huge mall with a roller coaster. A freind grew up nearby and said the mall was amazing when first opened. Now its a let down. 

When i visit sioux falls i go in from Omaha. Saves a good amount of time over going in via MN. I do like sioux falls. Gotta go back for work sometime soon.  My goal when traveling is good food, especially Asian. In sioux falls go to Lams. Its fantastic Vietnamese. The bahn mi are amazing. For other dishes i like Phnom Pen Vietnamese. 

The falls themselves are nice. Pretty different. There is some great walking paths along the river if you just want to go out and see stuff.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oKmhjsBXKCobBj3XYSUfcvAoO2nyh0AqXFQt7zVVxkGX6ecaLmspkJaXrl1VObam