1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/15/18 11:02 a.m.

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to Temecula, CA for a 3 day seminar for work.  I fly in on a Tuesday morning, the seminar doesn't start until Wednesday morning, so I've got the better part of Tuesday to find something on my own to do.  I fly into San Diego.  Never been to California before. 

Being a car guy, I don't mind driving a long distance to find something interesting.  In fact, sometimes a cool drive is more fun to me than an actual destination.  Unlike many here, I'm a Disney fan, so I'm very tempted to spend the afternoon/evening in Disneyland.  But it's pretty costly...one day ticket is $100 for just one park, or $160 if I want to see both parks.  So the cost of that is really giving me pause.  I'm open to other thoughts...could be anywhere between San Diego and LA.  A few things to know about me, I don't drink and don't golf, so winery tours or a golf course have no interest to me...though if the winery is very scenic, I'd be interested because I do like "seeing the sights" kind of stuff.  Cool drive suggestions?  Cool sights to see?  Interesting things to do?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/15/18 11:06 a.m.

I had a similar setup with a free day when I flew to LA for work a couple years ago- I rented a Camaro SS and just drove around.  Had fun on canyon roads, saw multiple film crews doing who knows what, saw Seinfeld driving an old Porsche, hooned in the dirt, got dinner at some little restaurant which looked cool when I drove by, went down to the beach to see the sun set, drove more canyon roads at night.  I would happily spend a day out there completely without a plan again.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/15/18 11:20 a.m.

Mulholland Drive

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/15/18 11:29 a.m.

Tour the USS Midway in San Diego.  Drive some of the Pacific Coast Highway.  Visit a mission - San Juan Capistrano is a close one.  In and Out Burger.  Grab some time at a beach.....eat Mexican Food.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/18 11:30 a.m.

I was also going to recommend a drive on the famous roads. That's what I'd do.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/15/18 11:32 a.m.

Keep in mind traffic from SD to LA could be heavy at times burning up a few hours of your day.   It might be best to hit San Diego and just a little north. 

The SD Zoo is world famous.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
1/15/18 11:32 a.m.

There are some cool drives right there in Temecula.  Just hop on to the 79 South and head east/south.  It will take you to Palomar Mountain, which is a sports car and street bike destination.  Can go for hikes and/or visit the observatory while your up there too.  Stay on it and it will take you to Julian for some awesome apple pie.  It will eventually take you through the mountains, Lake Cuyamaca, and then east San Diego. Tons of epic hikes along the way if you're in to that.

Being from SoCal I'm pretty bored of Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and Sea World.  Mainly because the cost. 

San Diego has beautiful beaches that you can hike and chill at for free.  I highly recommend La Jolla and Torrey Pines.

If near downtown you can visit Balboa Park.  It's free unless you want to spend money going in to museums or the Fleet Space Center.

Temecula doesn't have much to offer other than wineries, shopping malls, car dealers, and churches.  Lots of churches.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog New Reader
1/15/18 11:51 a.m.

x2 on the Midway tour - you will enjoy it.

or... a cool/easy hike: Garnet Peak Trail

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/15/18 12:08 p.m.

Yes, I like the cool drives ideas.  Mulholland Drive, PCH (what parts??), 79 South sounds cool.  Any other ideas on locations?  Don't want to spend 8 hours doing nothing but driving, but cool drives followed by something to see/do is perfect.  Using a rental company called Sixt, never used them before.  But for the same price as a Corolla with Enterprise, I've got a Mercedes C class booked...could switch it to a convertible if the weather looks like it's going to be nice.

Oh, and the food part.  Best burgers I've ever had weren't even from a restaurant...fellow GRMer Sonic and his fiancee make killer burgers for our LeMons team.  I don't eat junk food all that often, but when I do, I'm a burger and fries or pub food type guy.  So maybe I'll give In and Out a shot.  I've heard about them, but never had it...is it really that good?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/18 12:53 p.m.

Mulholland Drive is pretty far from Temecula so I don't know if I'd bother for a trip that short. The coolest part of the road is ~2.5 hours away right now and it's not rush hour. Palomar Mtn would probably be a better choice. 

I'd definently get a California burrito in San Diego. You aren't going to get much better Mexican food anywhere. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/18 1:30 p.m.

Petersen Museum. 

I lived near Temecula for 3.5 years and didn't get to do 50% of the things I wanted to do. 

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/15/18 1:51 p.m.

Check out some roadside tidepool areas if you are into that, or Birch Aquarium SD maybe.  Disney has a "Downtown Disney" shopping and restaurant area outside of the turnstiles if you are not into it for the rides.  Ah dang I see its just one weekday you have.. I'd not fight traffic north into LA if that is the case.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog New Reader
1/15/18 2:01 p.m.

You will pretty much blow your entire free day if you try to drive from SD airport into anywhere LA-ish.

Birch aquarium is a good suggestion.

Also, I've heard this is good but have never been there: Museum of Making Music

Ditto this - never been there: Craftsmanship Museum

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Oh yeah, that place is so good!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/15/18 5:51 p.m.

Watch out for the mud slides.wink

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/18 8:06 p.m.

I used to work for a CA based company and would extend my business trips out there often.  My goal was was always to add some sailboat racing to my business trips.  I like "outside" more than "inside" so I wont be recommending buildings or museums but rather scenic vistas and interesting locations.  Here is what I would do if I were you...

Land at SD Airport and get a car you like. 

#1 Head straight to Cabrillo National Monument  

#2 Ocean Pier in San Diego.   Ocean Beach Pier, 5078 Niagara Ave, San Diego, CA 92107

#3 Oceanside, CA to The Oceanside Yacht Club 1950 N Harbor Dr, Oceanside, CA 92054 .  This can be optional for you but would be required for me to visit my newer friend from Oceanside who now owns the boat my close Ohio friends owned back in the '90's.  Yeah, I race the same exact boat in CA that I raced for years on Ohio, Lake Erie.  Find an older 39 Ft sailboat named Knot-a-Clew.  

#4 Dana Point Harbor.  Point your GPS to  The Chart House, 34442 Street of the Green Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629.  Not so much a recommendation for the restaurant as a recommendation to get high on the hill to see the whole harbor. 

#5   Stone Brewing, 1999 Citracado Parkway, Escondido, CA 92029

#6 Home to hotel in Temecula which is about 30 minutes from Stone Brewing Bistro

Map representation:  

Expanded detail:  

Cabrillo National Monument :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrillo_National_Monument

The Monument is 24 minutes from the Airport.  This will put you high on a hill.  Look to the east and you will be looking down on the sky scrappers of Downtown SD and all the San Diego Bay.  Look to the West and all you see is ocean.  Look to the south and you can see as far as Mexico.  See all of the military presence in San Diego Bay with ships and planes.  You overlook 2 airports.  One that you landed at and the other all military.  

The actual park is this green space:

Ocean Pier: 

It will take about 20 minutes to go from Cabrillo to Ocean Pier.  All a drive through town.  I choose the pier because you can walk all the way out there and get a good way "into the ocean".  You will see lots of surfers around the pier and general "beach life".    http://www.oceanlight.com/log/ocean-beach-pier-san-diego.html 

Oceanside Yacht Club:  Not because it is great but because I have a personal attachment to there.  Look for a 39 Foot sailboat named Knot-a-Clew. Located in boat dock #J21.  

This is a crappy photo of Knot-a-Clew. The one with the Stone Brewery gargoyle on the spinnaker.   Yes, officially sponsored and endorsed by the brewery.  

Oceanside is the northern-most part of San Diego County.  Next stop is Dana Point which is the very southern part of Orange County.  Most everything between them is the Military, Marine Base Camp Pendleton.  The hyw headed north is called the John Basilone Hyw named after the famous WW2 US Marine who happens to be a distant relative of my wife's who's madden name is Basilone. 

As you drive between the two ports the hyw continues about 20 miles through Camp Pendleton.  This means that for 20 miles there is really no development on the shoreline.  It is a pretty unique stretch of land.  It also serves as a reminder of how the whole area looked in years past well before the population explosion of California.  

Dana Point.  Another pretty harbor.  I sent you up to The Chart House, 34442 Street of the Green Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629.  Not so much to recommend the restaurant but rather to encourage you to get up on the hill to see the whole view.  

View from The Chart House:  

Total aerial view

Also see the historical Brig, The Pilgrim in the harbor.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrim_(brig)

From here I send you back a little south and a lot east to The Stone Brewery Bistro.  There is no easy way to get there from Dana  Point because all of Camp Pendleton is standing in your way.  Expect about an hour to get from Dana Point to Stone Brewery.  I know you mentioned no need for alcohol but the food is great here too as are the grounds. 

Outdoor:  

Indoor: 

More of their Garden Area: 

30 minutes away and you should be at your hotel.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/18 9:05 p.m.

Surf. The only reason I want to spend time there again is to surf. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/15/18 9:09 p.m.

What? No one mentioned Blacks Beach? devil 

Mulholland is Malibu area, north of LA so quite a drive San Diego. And not what it used to be. Built up a lot now. There are lots of other canyon roads around there. I forget when the birds are at San Juan Capistrano.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/16/18 12:19 a.m.

In SD -

Burgers = Slaters 50/50

Tacos = Tacos El Gordo; go for the Al Pastor and Lengua.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/16/18 6:11 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Dude, that's really cool!  Thanks for taking the time to put all of that together.  I'm not a sailboat guy, but I absolutely love those views in the pictures.  Think I may hit some of those spots.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/16/18 8:38 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Early spring?

The birds pooed on me when I was there visiting in eighth grade.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/16/18 9:04 a.m.

Can confirm the Stone Brewery/Restaurant is just outstanding.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/16/18 9:23 a.m.

Balboa Park

/thread

Seriously though. Balboa park is gorgeous and you can find whatever you want to do there. People watching is great. Lots of great museums. They have a nice, modest car museum. I'd go through that, spend some time wandering around, ride the merry-go-round and wander through either the botanical garden or one of the free art museums. Or check out the model railroad museum. Like... just plan to hit the car museum and then give yourself several hours to just wing it and wander around.

Then go hit Stone or somewhere for dinner after.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/22/18 6:31 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I used to work for a CA based company and would extend my business trips out there often.  My goal was was always to add some sailboat racing to my business trips.  I like "outside" more than "inside" so I wont be recommending buildings or museums but rather scenic vistas and interesting locations.  Here is what I would do if I were you...

Land at SD Airport and get a car you like. 

#1 Head straight to Cabrillo National Monument  

#2 Ocean Pier in San Diego.   Ocean Beach Pier, 5078 Niagara Ave, San Diego, CA 92107

#3 Oceanside, CA to The Oceanside Yacht Club 1950 N Harbor Dr, Oceanside, CA 92054 .  This can be optional for you but would be required for me to visit my newer friend from Oceanside who now owns the boat my close Ohio friends owned back in the '90's.  Yeah, I race the same exact boat in CA that I raced for years on Ohio, Lake Erie.  Find an older 39 Ft sailboat named Knot-a-Clew.  

#4 Dana Point Harbor.  Point your GPS to  The Chart House, 34442 Street of the Green Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629.  Not so much a recommendation for the restaurant as a recommendation to get high on the hill to see the whole harbor. 

#5   Stone Brewing, 1999 Citracado Parkway, Escondido, CA 92029

#6 Home to hotel in Temecula which is about 30 minutes from Stone Brewing Bistro

John,

I think I'm going to go use your suggestions line for line to fill my day, thanks again!!!  However, the only tweak I'd like to make is to remove item #5, as that one isn't as big of a deal to me.  If I wanted to remove Stone Brewing, but try to add a stop at Balboa Park in, where in the order of things above would it make the most sense to add it in?  Food wise, I think I'm going to try to find an In and Out Burger, because I hear so much about it that I want to try it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/22/18 6:40 a.m.

I know he'll argue with me, but I am quite certain John doesn't actually have a job! cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U0x3fYaGirJCpROosWN6W0Lo3FvYT22TElAoM7CMdMg6EzBEq6efSwqqy8avcMax