1 2 3
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/20/11 12:19 p.m.

I just made the decision to have her put down. She is almost 14 years old now. Her quality of life is gone. She is blind in one eye and she can no longer walk by herself. There are more medical problems than I can count.

Running a rescue group for almost 10 years, I have had many. Every once in a while you lose one right after you pull him from the pound. But this one is special. She is one of the first rescue dogs I have ever fostered and she stayed for a lifetime.

No matter how many times it happens, it never gets easier.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/20/11 12:20 p.m.

Condolences. That's tough.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
7/20/11 12:21 p.m.

Very hard decision, but a kind one. I'm sorry for your loss.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/20/11 12:22 p.m.

Yes, it's never good to have to make this decision, but it is good to relieve suffering. My condolences and I'm glad you had a happy time with her.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
7/20/11 12:32 p.m.

As usual, the right choices are usually the hardest. Sounds like you guys have had a great time together. Sucks to lose a friend, furry or not.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/20/11 12:34 p.m.

I love my pets. Hate losing one. I doubt it will be long before you find another. Best of luck, friend.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/20/11 12:41 p.m.

Much condolences; 14 years is a good, long life, and one that I'm sure has brought you much joy.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/11 12:49 p.m.

In rescue there are the ones you move on...and the ones who stick around. It's hard to lose the ones that stick around. Good friends are hard to come by. You're doing the right thing. Send her off with as much of a warm goodbye as you can muster.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/11 1:48 p.m.

Try to remember all of the good times.

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
7/20/11 1:53 p.m.

It may sound a little cheesy but no matter where you are, they are always with you. The special moments are the ones that you will never forget.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/20/11 1:55 p.m.

My MIL had to put down her 12 yo Akita last month. She still cant talk about her without tearing up. Im sure thats just a sign that she was a special friend. All dog people have to go through it. My 5 yo husky has seizures regularly, and it could be a brain tumor. Im having to realize Im going to face a cold reality soon. But at the heart of that pain is the knowledge that they truly mean something to you, and I take comfort in knowing that thats most likely a 2 way street. Im sorry to hear about your friend.

This is a good read!

oldtin
oldtin Dork
7/20/11 1:55 p.m.

I'm sorry the time has come. Always tough when you've spent a lifetime with them.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/20/11 1:57 p.m.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
7/20/11 2:14 p.m.

:( it's never easy. You are doing what's right though.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/20/11 2:16 p.m.

You are a good man Snowdoggie, I am very proud of what you choose to do to help our friends, I feel for your pending loss but feel better knowing you gave this and many other dogs a chance at a happy life.

I know of so many who are dumped after a year or two, it kills me.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/20/11 2:20 p.m.

So sorry to hear that.

Margie

alex
alex SuperDork
7/20/11 2:41 p.m.

Never easy. My family went through a string of bad luck with fosters and adoptions when I was a kid, and I saw way too many dogs die too early. The ones that you know lived a full life after coming from a bad situation with no future, those are the ones that hurt the most, but the ones you can look back on with the best memories.

If I may make a respectful suggestion: when the time comes, and you can deal with it, stay in the room with her. It will give her great comfort to have you there, and you'll know that you did absolutely everything to make her more peaceful at the end.

It's a tough decision, but the right one. Good luck, man.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/20/11 3:28 p.m.

It's never easy, Snowdoggie but you know you're doing the right thing for her.

With your big heart and rescue history, there will be others who get a second chance, too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/11 3:32 p.m.

I always hate hearing about this. I have seen more pups slip from life than I care to admit. Comes from growing up in a family that ran a kennel (for siberians too)

I can only wish you all the best you can muster. Right now there is no good descision for you... but only one good one for her

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/20/11 3:36 p.m.

Very sorry. I always go and hug all my pets after I see threads like this.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
7/20/11 3:46 p.m.

So sorry to hear that. :(

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/20/11 5:56 p.m.
alex wrote: Never easy. My family went through a string of bad luck with fosters and adoptions when I was a kid, and I saw way too many dogs die too early. The ones that you know lived a full life after coming from a bad situation with no future, those are the ones that hurt the most, but the ones you can look back on with the best memories. If I may make a respectful suggestion: when the time comes, and you can deal with it, stay in the room with her. It will give her great comfort to have you there, and you'll know that you did absolutely everything to make her more peaceful at the end. It's a tough decision, but the right one. Good luck, man.

For every single dog I have ever had to put down, I have not only been in the room, but I make sure that my arm is around the dog and that I am the last thing my dog ever sees in his or her life. This is not just for my dog, but for all of the dogs that I spring from the pound who end up dying from parvo or distemper a few days later. In these cases I am all that they have. I have NEVER worked with a vet who won't let me do this.

They all seem a lot calmer and less confused when they know I am there with them right up to the end.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/11 6:23 p.m.

We took our Sheltie home from the vet with the 2 weeks or less talk. A good friend told me to treat her like a Queen for the time we had left. That was great advice.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/11 7:37 p.m.

dogs are awesome. dog ownership can suck. Doing what is best is only for you to decide.

Some one once said that when you get a dog you bring heartache into the home. Not right away but inevitably.

Remember all the joy!

Our condolences.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/20/11 8:01 p.m.

My dog says sorry. It's good that you have other dogs to help ease the pain. It's never a good thing to lose the ones you love.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JvTA9WR8cCtTPpp97L3ZdiDOPdhbIIS2EZ3hmOWh3yII9Gg3TyTMfxUEBnQwuaHw