Javelin SuperDork
April 26, 2011 11:35 a.m.

Motor Trend article

Apparently one of the Boss 302 testers had a brake clevis pin snap, and the pedal itself was incorrectly installed, resulting in zero brakes. Luckily all Boss 302's have actual manuals (hooray for Ford!) and the driver was able to go down through the gears and save the car.

The only thought is that maybe the master cylinder had been pulled and replaced, and whatever monkey that hooked the brake pedal back up did it wrong. Except nobody has any proof that the MC ever came out of the car, so it could have equally been a production-line error.

Bravo to Ford for shutting down the Mustang line and trying to figure out the issue though.

mad_machine SuperDork
April 26, 2011 11:37 a.m.

how do you snap a clevis pin? Those things are usually pretty stout and with lots of support

Javelin SuperDork
April 26, 2011 11:43 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: how do you snap a clevis pin? Those things are usually pretty stout and with lots of support

Probably because it was installed incorrectly. The article says that the brake rod is a u shape and the pedal goes in the middle, so if a broken clevis does happen, the pedal catches inside the u and still operates the master cylinder. This one was installed to the outside of one of the u's, so it likely put a ton of shearing force on that clevis. The car was tracked around Laguna Seca like that!

April 26, 2011 11:53 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: That pin looks like plastic over a thin screw. The pin on my E30 is a solid 12mm rod like 99% of every pin/clevis combo I've ever seen used. The one in my Chevelle is 1/2" rod - I'm not sure why anyone needed to change the basics - probably to address some customer complaint about a squeaky pedal.
tuna55 SuperDork
April 26, 2011 11:54 a.m.

As a former OEM supplier who has sen one extremely, :: interesting :: event occur during a press day, I can wager a guess that this was tampered with after the factory was through with it. I don't mean sabotage, I mean idiocy.

mad_machine SuperDork
April 26, 2011 2:37 p.m.

well.. idiocy knows no bounds. We even see it here on occasion.

FlightService HalfDork
April 26, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Outside the U it is cantilever arrangement.

Ford needs to Poke Yoke that thing!!!

tuna55 SuperDork
April 26, 2011 2:56 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: well.. idiocy knows no bounds. We even see it here on occasion.

I'll just say that you'd assume that air would fill tires. Nitrogen even...

Things people do boggle the mind. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some local shop was hired to do a tune up or some such thing and put together the clevis wrong.

CarKid1989 Dork
April 26, 2011 4:21 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: As a former OEM supplier who has sen one extremely, :: interesting :: event occur during a press day, I can wager a guess that this was tampered with after the factory was through with it. I don't mean sabotage, I mean idiocy.

details?

njansenv HalfDork
April 27, 2011 7:56 a.m.

^ I wouldn't be so sure. $0.12 or otherwise, it's a "SRC" (safety related component) and there would normally be all sorts of extra QC steps associated with that.

Kendall_Jones Reader
April 27, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Did they add a data logger to this car? Maybe someone hooked up a brake POT & reassembled it worng. Also, I can totally see that as a blind job, reach under dash & feel the plunger / hole (heh heh).....

KJ

tuna55 SuperDork
April 27, 2011 9:56 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: Did they add a data logger to this car? Maybe someone hooked up a brake POT & reassembled it worng. Also, I can totally see that as a blind job, reach under dash & feel the plunger / hole (heh heh)..... KJ

That's pretty likely - although "they" could have been anyone between the factory and MT.

WilberM3 HalfDork
April 27, 2011 10:18 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: That pin looks like plastic over a thin screw. The pin on my E30 is a solid 12mm rod like 99% of every pin/clevis combo I've ever seen used. The one in my Chevelle is 1/2" rod - I'm not sure why anyone needed to change the basics - probably to address some customer complaint about a squeaky pedal.

serously, where's the metal? it looks like its not only smaller, but only the middle part actually sheared. i can understand covering a normal pin with something to quiet it down, but that looks looks like they replaced it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

2 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

3 days ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

4 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

5 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

5 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

6 days ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

6 days ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

6 days ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

2017 Honda Accord Coupe Touring

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Honda has been pumping out Accords for over 40 years now. Obviously they have a recipe that just plain works. ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
GdNARdFZKt0GbKSaAZBLxAWfVMwGcu77