1 2 3
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 5:50 a.m.
Trans_Maro said:

Exactly like it would if I used the lock that they decided to remove in the name of safety so that now I need to stand here for fifteen minutes while the tank fills on the Suburban when I could be cleaning my windows and checking my oil.

I just jam my multi-tool into the handle to hold it on while I go about those things. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
1/4/18 7:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
MazdaFace said:

I mostly get frustrated when the pumps themselves are slow. There are 2 gas stations here in town that I won't go to just because the pump itself takes FOREVER to actually pump the gas. Extremely frustrating.

If you run diesel, you may know about the joy of commercial pumps. One of the local fuel stations here has a commercial diesel pump in the normal pumping area. It's my favorite station, you can't even see the numbers they're moving so fast. kaBLAM! Tank full.

For all those complaining about the pumps asking questions, try filling up with diesel at a truck stop some day when you're not a pro driver. Park at the pump, walk in to the counter, stand in line, hand over a card, get it authorized, walk out to the pump, kaBLAM! (commercial pump), pull forward, walk back in, stand in line, get the receipt, go back out to the truck. It's a system designed for guys who are fueling massive truck tanks and doing lots of paperwork, of course, but it's a pain in the patootie when you're just a guy with a pickup.

Imagine this same scenario when you pull up with your RHD Minivan. The attendant that was there asked me if I was confused about where I was. I said " you sell diesel, correct?" He said "Yes, and Kerosene too". I said" diesel's fine with me" He scratched his head while tilting it to the side, and asked me " Is that thing really a diesel?"  I said " I sure hope so, because that's what I'm pumping!"

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 8:22 a.m.
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 8:45 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Trans_Maro said:

Exactly like it would if I used the lock that they decided to remove in the name of safety so that now I need to stand here for fifteen minutes while the tank fills on the Suburban when I could be cleaning my windows and checking my oil.

I just jam my multi-tool into the handle to hold it on while I go about those things. 

A tube of Chap-Stick is the exact length needed to hold the handle wide open. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/18 9:05 a.m.
Toyman01 said:
Pete Gossett said:
Trans_Maro said:

A tube of Chap-Stick is the exact length needed to hold the handle wide open. 

This is brilliant. Removal of those locks is a legitimately rant-worthy subject and used to piss me off to no end when I was living in upstate NY. Fortunately PA puts enough faith in its citizens to allow us the luxury of not freezing our hands to the pump handle anytime we fill up in the winter months. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 9:15 a.m.

I always thought the removal of the lock was due to the owner, not the state? I have been to enough stations in Pa that didn't have the locks to hold the handle, which really sucks on a cold windy day, your truck takes 24 gallons, and you forgot your gloves

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/4/18 9:46 a.m.

I gas up in Dayton and West Chester OH depending, and it's a mix of the locks being there/not being there.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

It's killing me around here. The Sunocos have all been revamped, they had locks for like a week, now nothing holds them open, and you need to hold the nozzle at just the right angle to get it to flow at all. Even the gas cap just pops out for no reason. 

Much like the stupid gas cans, I feel like they're making things more dangerous in the name of false safety.  Unless new car filler necks are a different angle than cars from the 80s to early 00s. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/4/18 10:21 a.m.

Some of the pictures are crazy. People pouring gas literally on the side of their car. Have to hope for humanity's sake they are just trolling everyone 

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
1/4/18 10:31 a.m.

I guess this is where Kalifornia shines.  ALL of our pumps have the trigger lock, but we have vapor boots that work as safeties. If the nozzle isn't pushed in and the boot pulled back it won't pump.  You would have to really try to pour gas all over the place.

The hoses have break-aways so if an idiot drives off with the nozzle in your car it will pop apart and shut off fuel flow.  Then the station charges the idiot for replacement of the break-away.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
1/4/18 11:12 a.m.

BTW California, that horse cock on the nozzle makes it a HUGE pain to put gas in your motorcycle.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
1/4/18 11:18 a.m.

I started driving before there were self serve stations. I remember being pissed when I had to get out and pump my own gas. Now, it's just the opposite. I think our species is resistant to change.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
1/4/18 11:53 a.m.
NEALSMO said:

I guess this is where Kalifornia shines.  ALL of our pumps have the trigger lock, but we have vapor boots that work as safeties. If the nozzle isn't pushed in and the boot pulled back it won't pump.  You would have to really try to pour gas all over the place.

The hoses have break-aways so if an idiot drives off with the nozzle in your car it will pop apart and shut off fuel flow.  Then the station charges the idiot for replacement of the break-away.

I am the reason those are installed on gas pumps, long story

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/4/18 12:03 p.m.

In reply to NEALSMO :

I hated those when I first moved there but after being in PA with the more traditional style ones I can appreciate why they are the way they are now. I don't ever recall spilling gas on my car when in CA. I get some drips here and there with these.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/18 12:45 p.m.

Re: mad_machine and RevRico

I don't think it's strictly a "this state mandates locks, this state mandates no locks" thing, I just suspect some states, like New York, have explicitly banned them. This based on the fact that I do not ever recall seeing a pump in that state with the lock in place and it seems like something they would do because "green." 

In my neck of the woods, almost all the stations have locks. There are certainly some that do not, but it's the exception rather than the rule. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
1/4/18 12:57 p.m.
WilD said:

In reply to AClockworkGarage:

If people are too stupid to handle the simple task of filling their car with gasoline, then they certainly are not up to the much more complicated task of driving.

I agree, but they still do it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/18 1:46 p.m.

In reply to NEALSMO :

Not all nozzles in CA have the locks. There's a certain brand of gas station (can't remember which) that didn't as a rule, at least in the Central Valley. Pretty annoying to have to stand there the whole time. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
1/4/18 2:39 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
1/4/18 2:40 p.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y0uLb231q8CreZbBo0Y8optcaTxAR0dbQuqek1UGzVPsGgBHIlD0c5YDblmBfVai