1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/3/18 8:22 a.m.

I saw this pop up on Facebook yesterday, haven't dived in fully.  It sounds like people are losing their minds over having to pump their own gas (like 99.4% of the country) this year?  Anyone out there can confirm?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/3/18 8:25 a.m.

Just saw it this morning as well.  I suppose the ones really upset by pumping their own gas can always move to New Jersey. laugh

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/3/18 8:53 a.m.

There's a lot of folks that think gas pumps are some sort of demon, apparently. I read it on Facebook and got annoyed. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/18 8:57 a.m.

I had to instruct my college roommate, a New Jersey native, on pumping gas at least several times our freshman year. Literally the smartest guy I've ever been friends with and he was completely baffled by a gas pump. 

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
1/3/18 9:00 a.m.

Wait... there’s places that people don’t pump their own gas?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/18 9:03 a.m.
Furious_E said:

I had to instruct my college roommate, a New Jersey native, on pumping gas at least several times our freshman year. Literally the smartest guy I've ever been friends with and he was completely baffled by a gas pump. 

When I was a kid, like 8 or 9, I had to teach my mom how to use the gas pump. My dad had taught me when I was even younger so he could go into the gas station or clean the Windows or stay warm in the truck, but at that point (mom age 42) she'd never pumped her own gas before. 

Now, 21 years later and there is a whopping one full service gas station in the area at all, still a quarter more per gallon than everyone else. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 9:06 a.m.

We don't pump our own gas by me, partly because most pumps are barely new enough to have digital readouts, but mostly because gas is too expensive to leave it with customers unsupervised.

I often forget exactly how to operate the pumps, but they're hardly more complicated than a vending machine, it's not rocket science.

WilD
WilD Dork
1/3/18 9:10 a.m.

Well, I know how irritated I am when I travel somehwere and encounter a full service station so maybe I get it.  Nah... that's dumb.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/3/18 9:19 a.m.

I am not annoyed with pumping my own gas, I am annoyed when the pump asks me three questions, none of which are would you like some gas.  This is extra annoying this week when it is barely double digit temperatures.

zip...

receipt...

car wash...

credit...

octane...

Would you like to dispense into your vessel now. 

Just sell me some damn gas!!!

There is one station near me that asks no questions, they will get my money as soon as I can figure out which one it is.  I couldn't believe it when I ran the card and it just said select fuel grade and start pumping.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/3/18 9:24 a.m.

That face when...................you guys don't realize the vast majority of those are troll posts.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/3/18 9:35 a.m.

I know of exactly 2 full-service gas stations in Michigan.

1st in about 1 mile south of the Mackinaw bridge,  the other is (was? Its been years) in Baldwin.

The Mackinaw one threw me a bit when some scraggly attendent knocked on my window as I pulled in.

Side note:  Jersey folks,   you let gas station flunkys touch your motorcycle to fill them?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 9:38 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 said:

There are places where they're not allowed to pump their own gas! Most of Oregon and all of NJ.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/3/18 9:38 a.m.

I hated waiting for pump jockeys to show up and put gas in my car in NJ or OR.  With my motorcycle they never did that, they'd just let me pump my own.  

This is going to take away some low paying jobs, which is unfortunate in and of itself, but I'd be happy with this change if I lived there.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/3/18 9:39 a.m.

I'm amazed at some of those comments. You'd think the world was ending

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/18 9:41 a.m.

My parents are 85, Dad's got alzheimers; finding a place to pump it is tough to fine here.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/3/18 9:41 a.m.
akylekoz said:

I am not annoyed with pumping my own gas, I am annoyed when the pump asks me three questions, none of which are would you like some gas.  This is extra annoying this week when it is barely double digit temperatures.

zip...

receipt...

car wash...

credit...

octane...

Would you like to dispense into your vessel now. 

Just sell me some damn gas!!!

There is one station near me that asks no questions, they will get my money as soon as I can figure out which one it is.  I couldn't believe it when I ran the card and it just said select fuel grade and start pumping.

There is a Flying J north of town that I will not attend, despite their convenient location. It takes almost a minute to convince the pump to provide gasoline.  Ain't nobody got time fo that.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/3/18 9:48 a.m.

I mostly get frustrated when the pumps themselves are slow. There are 2 gas stations here in town that I won't go to just because the pump itself takes FOREVER to actually pump the gas. Extremely frustrating.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
1/3/18 9:52 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
BlueInGreen44 said:

There are places where they're not allowed to pump their own gas! Most of Oregon and all of NJ.

Learned something new today. Apparently I need to get out more.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/3/18 9:58 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

I'm amazed at some of those comments. You'd think the world was ending

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE TROLLING!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 10:01 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

I mostly get frustrated when the pumps themselves are slow. There are 2 gas stations here in town that I won't go to just because the pump itself takes FOREVER to actually pump the gas. Extremely frustrating.

If you run diesel, you may know about the joy of commercial pumps. One of the local fuel stations here has a commercial diesel pump in the normal pumping area. It's my favorite station, you can't even see the numbers they're moving so fast. kaBLAM! Tank full.

For all those complaining about the pumps asking questions, try filling up with diesel at a truck stop some day when you're not a pro driver. Park at the pump, walk in to the counter, stand in line, hand over a card, get it authorized, walk out to the pump, kaBLAM! (commercial pump), pull forward, walk back in, stand in line, get the receipt, go back out to the truck. It's a system designed for guys who are fueling massive truck tanks and doing lots of paperwork, of course, but it's a pain in the patootie when you're just a guy with a pickup.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/18 10:17 a.m.

Gah, I got all excited 'til I remembered I'd heard about this, and it's only some rural locations.

I still have to explain to attendants how not to berk up fueling the 2002, and feel bad for them when they have to hold the dang thing in place in slow mode.

Still aggravated remembering the time someone jammed the nozzle through the back of the filler tube in a misguided attempt to get it to seat and started filling the trunk.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 10:25 a.m.
Ransom said:

Gah, I got all excited 'til I remembered I'd heard about this, and it's only some rural locations.

I still have to explain to attendants how not to berk up fueling the 2002, and feel bad for them when they have to hold the dang thing in place in slow mode.

Still aggravated remembering the time someone jammed the nozzle through the back of the filler tube in a misguided attempt to get it to seat and started filling the trunk.

In Oregon you can pump yourself if you have a motorcycle or a "classic" car.  The attendant just has to hand you the nozzle and place it back in the pump when done (don't get me started).  So get out of your car when you pull up and tell them you need to do it to protect your car or to avoid spills.

I hate waiting for the attendant, so the sooner this silly law is killed off here, the better.  Its been in place for quite a while.

Of course I have family members who will drive from Vancouver, Washington to Portland to have someone pump gas for them because they can't be bothered to do it themselves (plus gas is cheaper in Oregon and they shop in Portland because they are leeches).  This same person had a random stranger parallel park their minivan in downtown Portland because they couldn't be bothered.  My future wife, who was a high school freshman at the time, was in the backseat. 

So yeah, this is going to screw some folks up and they'll hate change as usual, but life will go on.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/18 10:55 a.m.

No self-service gas where I grew up on Long Island, too. True story: I believe that my mom has never pumped gas. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Isn't Vancouver quite a drive from Portland? Like enough of one that said relative would have to fill up before departing Vancouver and again upon returning?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/3/18 11:37 a.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to Stefan :

Isn't Vancouver quite a drive from Portland? Like enough of one that said relative would have to fill up before departing Vancouver and again upon returning?

Vacouver Washington, not Canada.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YtBCjnP8TlBrAsHgWkThpApHORkqR25283svjc6WZYa8RUs65OoIMC5DZcO5oKtE