BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/18 12:25 p.m.

While I'm waiting for the seller of a local NA Miata to get back to me, I found another one that I really like in Gresham.

I did check the Oregon DMV website for rules on private party sales and if I deciphered this correctly, plates stay with the PO unless they don't, and one would need a trip permit unless the plates remain on the car. It also looks like one can only get the trip permit at the DMV, which of course is only open Monday-Friday...

Do I have the gist of it, or am I missing another way to drive a car I bought from a private party in Oregon home?

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
4/20/18 12:49 p.m.

Expat Oregonian now living in SoCal but I have moved back and forth and in and out of OR many times. Plates always stayed on car from what I remember. I'd suggest you just buy the car and drive off with the plates. You can always mail them into the DMV later if you want. OR DMV is pretty chill.

BoxheadTim
4/20/18 1:02 p.m.

Thanks, that's very helpful in an enabling manner .

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
4/20/18 1:08 p.m.

When I bought my car in Portland, I mailed the personalized plates back to the guy.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
4/20/18 1:18 p.m.

It is very rare that the plates stay with the owner. Just personalized plates or the expensive "special editions" and that is only if the owner cares to keep them. Also with a fresh bill of sale there is a grace period with expired tags. If you were to get pulled over for expired tags (and you would have to be doing something else wrong for that to happen as it is considered a secondary and they won't pull just for that) you just show them the bill of sale and you will be on your way.

BoxheadTim
4/20/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

That's very good to know, thanks. The main concern I have is that if I pull off this deal, I'd be traveling through three states. One of them being CA, and I really don't want to give CHP any more reasons to pull me over.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
4/20/18 8:21 p.m.
Jumper K Balls said:

If you were to get pulled over for expired tags (and you would have to be doing something else wrong for that to happen as it is considered a secondary and they won't pull just for that) you just show them the bill of sale and you will be on your way.

I don't think you are familiar with a little place called "California."  They can and will pull you over for expired tags and ticket you, even if they run your registration, it is current and someone stole the sticker off your license plate.

The exception to this is if they think you are an "undocumented immigrant."  In that case they will send you on your way without a citation.

BoxheadTim
4/20/18 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

... and fortunately for me, I am a documented immigrant.

BoxheadTim
4/22/18 12:57 a.m.

Unfortunately this went nowhere, seller emailed me back that he sold the car earlier today.

'95 M Edition with matching hardtop, no less .

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/23/18 8:25 a.m.

Am I the only one who looked at this thread's title and saw "Paging Orgasms"?

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
4/23/18 5:08 p.m.

Yes you are, not that there is anything wrong with that.

BoxheadTim said:

In reply to Toebra :

if only you were an anchor baby

BoxheadTim
4/23/18 6:09 p.m.
Toebra said:

BoxheadTim said:

In reply to Toebra :

if only you were an anchor baby

Well, I have been known to occasionally throw my toys out of the pram, but overall I'm a little too old for that .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mg9PvvjpXJ94zPHI5cgBSmItDQmQnriQlIFgYXCk946KApxQQy5uSDPQaLvb7I4i