1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/30/18 10:12 p.m.

Anybody hear from Braden lately?  Haven't heard from him around here, and haven't received an answer to a text. 

I hope everything is ok. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/18 3:08 a.m.
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/31/18 5:50 a.m.

Eeek. Thanks John. He was here in the fall and seemed bummed to be in a cast, but hopeful. But dang, fell!  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/18 7:21 a.m.

Probably sucks to type with busted wrist(s?).  Pilotbraden, we're thinking about you brother.  Is it time for another SEMI GRM meet? 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 2:47 a.m.

I am doing well, I just spent 8 days at my cabin in northern Michigan. It has been great for me. One room, nearest neighbor over a quarter of a mile away, fireplace for heat and the only electricity is in batteries. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 2:49 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I am up for anything

AngryCorvair
4/2/18 6:43 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Munk's Motors is a very cool shop where they work on just about anything, but their specialty is VW and Porsche.  They do these Tech Sessions once in a while where they talk through common issues on specific cars while they do the repairs.  Q and A, lunch, etc.  Come and go as you please, no charge (but they do ask for an RSVP so they can plan food and drinks).  I'll be there as "noted brake expert" but I don't know what I'm going to present.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 6:59 a.m.

I I'm teaching flux core welding this Saturday if I wasn't doing that I would show up. If you think of it while you're there I'm looking for an oil cooler for an 84 944. If you ask around I would be appreciative

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/2/18 7:15 a.m.

I never realized you lived in Flint, MI.  Don't drink the water. 

AngryCorvair
4/2/18 8:51 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

If you think of it while you're there I'm looking for an oil cooler for an 84 944. If you ask around I would be appreciative

I assume just an OE part?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
4/2/18 10:09 a.m.

Where are you teaching flux core welding?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yes mine is cracked, I'm considering welding if I can't find one. I have purchased two that never made it to me. One was lost and the other was run over by UPS.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 2:24 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Probably at the airport in flushing but possibly in Fenton. Are you interested? If so I will check with the gentleman that I am helping and see if he minds someone else there. I'm quite sure that he will be happy to have someone else there

paranoid_android
4/2/18 5:00 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

Probably at the airport in flushing but possibly in Fenton. Are you interested? If so I will check with the gentleman that I am helping and see if he minds someone else there. I'm quite sure that he will be happy to have someone else there

Oh man, thank you- but I don’t want to impede.  I thought you were teaching a class type thing.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/2/18 6:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Munk's Motors is a very cool shop where they work on just about anything, but their specialty is VW and Porsche.  They do these Tech Sessions once in a while where they talk through common issues on specific cars while they do the repairs.  Q and A, lunch, etc.  Come and go as you please, no charge (but they do ask for an RSVP so they can plan food and drinks).  I'll be there as "noted brake expert" but I don't know what I'm going to present.

I wrenched there. Munk (Chris) is a character to say the least. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/2/18 6:04 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

I don't know yet where we're doing this yet Braden, that's totally up to you (but my garage is pretty tight). I don't mind at all if Paranoid is there too. It probably means there will be more information being taught, better for both of us. 

Either way is fine with me. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
4/2/18 6:46 p.m.

I am glad to hear you are doing okay.  I thought about yesterday and would have asked the same questions this morning if Dr. Boost if had not beat me to it.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/2/18 7:22 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Ok let's get together at Flushing I have my equipment there and we can run a couple of machines and do some comparisons. Paranoid , you are welcome to join us. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/2/18 7:47 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Ok let's get together at Flushing I have my equipment there and we can run a couple of machines and do some comparisons. Paranoid , you are welcome to join us. 

Awesome!  Can you text me the address and time?

paranoid_android
4/2/18 9:31 p.m.

I might be able to join depending on what time you guys have planned.

I can offer up my cheapo Lincoln flux core welder too if it would be of any use.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/18 10:56 p.m.

The cooler for the 944 should be soldered or brazed if it is the inner copper cooler piece. If it is the exterior housing that should be TIG welded. 

I can call a friend that I know has a pile of 944 parts and see if he as one kicking around. Actually I know two people that probably have them. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/3/18 5:15 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I will send you the address. As far as time, I have a 1 hour meeting Saturday morning. I want to meet at 8 or 9 but the customer has not yet given me a response . I know that he can't meet after 12 ,so that would be the latest time.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/3/18 5:17 a.m.

Absolutely bring it, are you an experienced weldor? 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/3/18 5:20 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thanks for the offer. It is leaking coolant on the ground. As far as I can determine oil and coolant are remaining segregated. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/3/18 6:27 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Munk's is a very cool place.  My buddy Bob has worked with them on what is jokingly called his Singer 914.  Unfortunately no actual Singer affiliation but a reay cool 914.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bh2AecypYiWFVW7tm9eg70bdUJNRyijg2yOk6v1wKsU0KBVp2NfQigVtY0wcw9x1