1 2
wae
wae SuperDork
4/3/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Well, there's my problem!  Thank you, sensei!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/3/19 8:31 p.m.

Glad I could help!

Sold the tail lights, $280 more in recoup, now I'm at -$773.50. Awesome! I love momentum.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/3/19 10:26 p.m.

Sold the (damaged) trunk lid for $100. Best part is the guy's picking it up. I hate shipping stuff like that.

New total $-683.50. (don't forget the 10% eBay fees.) I just need to keep pulling and listing parts!!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/23/19 10:10 a.m.

Sold some small parts (defrost vent, back seat fold release handle, control arm) and the ABS pump.

New total -$503.50. I've got a back log of pulled parts to list, but family stuff and spring outdoor work has kept me hopping.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/23/19 11:01 a.m.

So im strongly considering doing this (mostly because I could use a couple hundred bucks of parts for my xjr and I think I can buy a whole car for sub $1k). 

Maybe you have answered this before but how do you estimate the value of parts you have? Go through ebay sold listings and look at prices? You must have a general rule of thumb for what price point you need to sell at for a part to be worth your time?

ie go through ebay sold items and pull every part worth more than $30 and then total that up for a general idea of value you have? (then subtract fees/shipping/etc)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/23/19 12:36 p.m.

Are you tracking your time pulling parts, shipping etc?

It would be interesting to see what you hourly rate will end of being.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/23/19 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

You've just about got it. I figure a part worth less than $50 isn't worth selling unless it's super easy to pull and can be put in my mailbox to send. I search for the part I'm selling and filter by sold listings and price mine around what a comparable part has sold for. I do not try to beat the lowest price; often times those have damage or flaws that mine might not. I do pull parts that may not have sold recently if they seem worth it, because sometimes there just aren't any good ones listed for a while. I've been shocked at what some parts will bring, and being at the bottom of the market is giving away money. On the other hand if the stuff sits, don't be afraid to mark it down aggressively.

@aircooled: I'm not tracking time, it's tough enough tracking the parts I've sold. I've estimated 80-100 hours to do a full strip down and sale before - including listing and shipping the parts - but readily admit that's a very, very rough estimate. I only spend an hour or two at it here or there, all in the evenings after the kids are in bed, mixed with other car and project stuff so it's hard to isolate exactly the time that is spent on this. It's all "garage time," if that makes sense.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/23/19 8:55 p.m.

I’m going to give this another go; I bought a 2008 International CF600 today for a nominal amount of money. I MAY start a thread or just dive in. Thanks for the added impetus!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/24/19 8:00 a.m.

Awesome thread. Keep it up

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
v7B55RTyybC56tQOUqHebHaW0HYijQ0uJa5PIniHhM8Wmv8xmfODeAv2iXz6Lahm