1 2
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/6/17 12:38 a.m.

This site can't be reached. Took too long to respond. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED OUT

Internet connection window says connection good. DSL black box shows good. Ran maintenance, security and tune up. Google Chrome browser. Tried Edge and Bing, no response either. Never did this before except during some bad storms but then came back. 

Any idears?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/6/17 5:52 a.m.

I get this from time to time but had assumed it was an issue with my home intetnet, as I seem to have constant trouble with the signal coming into house dropping out.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/17 6:42 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

It happens to me every single morning around 5:30am Central...although I wasn't up that early this morning. The site either times out, or takes ~5 minutes for a page to load. It's not usually when I first reload the site either, usually when I'm switching between topics or forums. 

Its been happening for over a year, and on multiple devices. No other sites are affected, and witching from wifi to cellular on my phone doesn't change symptoms. 

Its never bothered me too much, and no one else had brought it up I figured it's just me, but since we're discussing it...

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/6/17 7:17 a.m.

I get that on occasion too, usually in the 6:30AM ET time frame (in other words, 5:30AM central). I always thought it was just me as well.  Maybe something set to restart on a daily basis around that time server-side?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/17 7:47 a.m.

Do you have the same problem with any other computers on the same network?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/6/17 8:01 a.m.

Crap, I get the same error messages throughout the day... 95% on my phone.

Pete Gossett
11/6/17 9:16 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Same problem on Mac, Win10, or IOS; and it happens both in IL and MS. Actually, I'm pretty sure it happened in Gainesville at the Challenge on Friday AM(that would have been IOS). 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/6/17 9:17 a.m.

So is it only happening with this web site? (Not happening on any others?)

GameboyRMH
11/6/17 9:20 a.m.

This sounds like some scheduled activity on this site that's causing a short outage. I'm pretty much never browsing GRM at 5:30am central, I'll have to try it and see what happens.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/6/17 9:30 a.m.

For me at least, only this site. By 7 or so ET everything is fine again.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/6/17 10:24 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

This sounds like some scheduled activity on this site that's causing a short outage. I'm pretty much never browsing GRM at 5:30am central, I'll have to try it and see what happens.

When you work 7p-7a.....

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/6/17 10:40 a.m.
dculberson said:

So is it only happening with this web site? (Not happening on any others?)

It's happened w/ GRM only before but now it's all sites.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/6/17 11:23 a.m.

Have you restarted your DSL modem and Wifi router (if you have one) since the troubles have started?  I usually do the following as a first troubleshooting step:

1. Unplug both DSL modem and Wifi router from power.
  2. Wait 30-60 seconds
  3. Plug DSL modem back in
  4. Wait for all the lights to show a good connection
  5. Plug router back in
  6. Wait for it to come all the way back up
  7. Try internet again

Other things to try (to try and isolate the problem):

• If the device can be taken elsewhere - does it work ok on other networks (like at a coffee shop or something)?
  • If your device is capable of either wired or wireless connections - if you're having issues while wireless does it work wired (or vice versa)?
  • If you are capable of a wired connection - take the router out of the equation and plug directly up to the DSL modem. Does this make a difference?

Pete Gossett
11/6/17 2:03 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Yes, GRM only. That's what my though was too & why I've never brought it up. 

Pete Gossett
11/6/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie :

Not only rebooted, but replaced with a new router when our wifi quit this summer. It also happens over cellular, and when I'm in other states. So it's definitely not a provider or regional issue. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/6/17 2:24 p.m.

This is great info guys, I will make sure this is looked into.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/6/17 3:09 p.m.
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/6/17 3:16 p.m.
szeis4cookie said:

Have you restarted your DSL modem and Wifi router (if you have one) since the troubles have started?  I usually do the following as a first troubleshooting step:

1. Unplug both DSL modem and Wifi router from power.
  2. Wait 30-60 seconds
  3. Plug DSL modem back in
  4. Wait for all the lights to show a good connection
  5. Plug router back in
  6. Wait for it to come all the way back up
  7. Try internet again

Other things to try (to try and isolate the problem):

• If the device can be taken elsewhere - does it work ok on other networks (like at a coffee shop or something)?
  • If your device is capable of either wired or wireless connections - if you're having issues while wireless does it work wired (or vice versa)?
  • If you are capable of a wired connection - take the router out of the equation and plug directly up to the DSL modem. Does this make a difference?

Unplugged for two beers worth (or twenny minutes). Plugged back in... and it works.

I thought the DSL modem got power from the computer power panel that switched off daily but wasn't, it was on a separate outlet/ panel. 

That was a rough 36 hours.

TY, TY

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/6/17 4:47 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to szeis4cookie :

Not only rebooted, but replaced with a new router when our wifi quit this summer. It also happens over cellular, and when I'm in other states. So it's definitely not a provider or regional issue. 

Yep, totally agree with you on the GRM site. Fasted58 had just mentioned that he was having more global problems so I offered a few suggestions.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/17 5:24 p.m.
Pete Gossett
11/7/17 5:40 a.m.

5:37-5:38am Central 11/7, site took a little over a minute to load when I first opened Safari this morning. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/7/17 5:51 a.m.

It did the same thing for me this morning. Same time. 

GameboyRMH
11/7/17 8:36 a.m.

Didn't manage to do the test this morning, it's right in the middle of my morning rush out the door sad but with 2 other testers we can now be sure there is a daily scheduled task causing a brief outage or severe slowdown on this site at 5:30 central.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/7/17 9:28 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Developers are looking into this now.

Pete Gossett
11/10/17 5:43 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

FYI it happened a bit later this morning, about 5:40-5:42 Central. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MNsA1e7Bzldz8olmZRrrq0IykmrEmF6lhpIGFeLkLp9t7rxkzZOWcHt322pBEefL