1 2
Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 12:25 p.m.

So, this is my first real job since getting out of college. I've been with the company for about 8 months now and just had a performance review that was less than stellar. The caveat to that is, there is work I have done that I really enjoyed and the company was really impressed with, but it's the jobs that are sort of peripheral to my primary job. So I'm wondering if maybe those are the things I should try to branch into doing, and how I get into that.

I'm a "Project Coordinator" for a communications consulting firm. What that means is that most of my job is the detail oriented communications stuff. I put together tables of information, take notes, and write reports; mostly for jobs under government agencies. My big issue is the attention to detail that just isn't coming naturally (I'm generally disorganized) and has to do significantly with me just not being super fired-up about the jobs in question.

But I've done really well with technical things. I've built a website and designed a database for clients, and I really enjoyed those tasks. I've worked with the IT department as their man-on-the-ground in a remote office, and enjoyed that. I'm really thinking I'd much more enjoy to do something like Web Development where I'm still using communication skills and exercise a level of creativity, but I've got a puzzle that I need to solve and make work, and when I'm done I can see something functional and tangible.

I'm not about to quit my job right now, because I'm not doing a bad job, just not as good a job as I should be. But I'm seriously thinking I'd be happier in a different field.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/18/08 12:33 p.m.

I always say "Never be afraid to tell your boss or bosses how you feel" .... This is very true for you because you sound like you want to do a "great" job not just a "good" job. Most likely your boss(s) will be able to give you projects that support your desires/skills, or help you transition into a better position. Worse thing that could happen is they're not supportive but then you know to keep working while looking for a job that is a better fit.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 12:39 p.m.

Bosses are supportive. Problem is, there isn't much room for technical skills in the company. It's a consulting firm and the jobs are pretty much whatever our clients ask of us. Also, I'm not even doing a "good" job at many of the tasks. Unless they decided they wanted another person in the IT department, but I don't think they need that.

I generally enjoy the job and the company, it's just the specific tasks sometimes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/08 12:42 p.m.

Well, if the stuff you're good at and the stuff you like is the "peripheral jobs" and you're getting ragged on about your main job, it would only be logical to see if getting a job that focuses on the peripheral tasks you're doing now is a possibility...My job's kind of the opposite. I'm good at the main stuff but I HATE much of the peripheral stuff and I'm not good at it (see: anything with paperwork). The problem is that I see the peripheral stuff creeping more and more into my work every day. It's my first real job out of college as well.

On the other hand, keep in mind, performance reviews are just carefully crafted motivational speeches. They give you a lot of ragging and then a little encouragement. Rinse and repeat. If you see an overwhelming amount of bad, it's a warning, if you see an overwhelming amount of good, you're near the top of the corporate ladder and you're getting mental handjobs.

Of course it's only natural that it will piss you off, and unless you're hopped up on anti-depressants, discourage you more than anything else.

Man I'm gonna be pissed when the performance reviews start at my office.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 12:49 p.m.

I've enjoyed the peripherals more than the main parts of the job.

My performance review was primarily poor (not quite "bad"). It was not "shape up or ship out" but it was "these are real problems that really need to be addressed. We're going to have to work together to develop a plan to address these. I really think they can be. But if they aren't there's a potential for a 'shape up' talk in another couple of months."

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 12:50 p.m.

And remember that job performance reviews will seem harsh for the first three to five years of a career.

You do not breathe the (primary) job yet, your supervisor knows this. Look at the review from an outsiders eyes, not personally. An outsider will see that you need to focus on XXXX and YYYY and improvent there will help you perform better when doing AAAA and BBBB.

Don't be too hard at yourself, George Bush has been at his job for 8 years and his bosses gave him a 36% performance review.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/18/08 1:05 p.m.
Salanis wrote: "these are real problems that really need to be addressed. We're going to have to work together to develop a plan to address these. I really think they can be. But if they aren't there's a potential for a 'shape up' talk in another couple of months."

That isn't good ... I write reviews and that is the kind of language that can be used later to say "I told you on XXX date to do more YYY and you didn't, so now your ZZZ."

Hopefully ZZZ doesn't equal out of a job.

Read this as a warning and fix it ... The bottom line is all jobs have some sucky parts (I hate writing performance reviews!!), and no one expects a new employee to be great right out of college. Get through the sucky parts and shine when you can and you'll be fine!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/08 1:07 p.m.
Salanis wrote: My performance review was primarily poor (not quite "bad"). It was not "shape up or ship out" but it was "these are real problems that really need to be addressed. We're going to have to work together to develop a plan to address these. I really think they can be. But if they aren't there's a potential for a 'shape up' talk in another couple of months."

Sounds very much like a standard-issue "you're doing okay, but don't even think of slacking off! muahahahaha!" review. Don't be too worried about it, but don't let them know you know you shouldn't be worried about it

Although as you can see from littleturquoiseb, some places don't use performance reviews as paper whips, and it could be serious...depends on the management I guess.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 1:11 p.m.

And Salanis, did you get that memo about the TPS Reports?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 1:16 p.m.

Okay... my issue isn't so much that I'm worried about loosing my job. I'm worried that I'm just not in the right job for my personality. It was not a good review because much of my work hasn't been that great. But there was a definite understanding that the issues are hardly insurmountable.

I do have significant issues that need to be fixed. I'm generally a disorganized "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of guy. I'm wondering if I'm not in the right field though.

Ultimately, I've been rushing to get things done because I haven't care that much about them, and so the product I've produced has been of poor quality.

There's a clear level of difference in the quality of work with the tasks I cared about and the tasks I didn't. I did good work building technical things. And my bosses commented on that, and that my focus on detail and follow through with those is what they'd like in the rest of my work. That's leading me to think, it might be better for me to look into work in a field that will naturally play to my strengths.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 1:17 p.m.
John Brown wrote: And Salanis, did you get that memo about the TPS Reports?

Yup. Soaks up fish guts real well.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/18/08 1:28 p.m.

you need work that matches your skills... I think you can do that while keeping up your reputation at your current place. I never feel bad about someone who looks for better work or a better fit ... but like some have said no one expects someone young and new at a job to be perfect, the time it takes you tp look for a job may be the time it take you to get better at the detail stuff. I had a very similar review at my first job ... I still hate detail stuff, but I got better at it and know its just part of the working world.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/18/08 1:39 p.m.

Find a job you like and good performance reviews come naturally. Don't be afraid to leave the company if they don't have a job that makes you happy. IMO, any job will have some parts you don't like after the new-job-shine wears off, but a good job will still leave you happy and satisfied at the end of the day. Don't believe those people who say there is no such thing as a job that makes you happy.

I jumped around the country for job changes a fair bit immediately after graduating. In the end I've got a better job, better pay, and location that better suits me. Sure, it was a PITA but in the long run it was worth it. It's hard to hit a home run with your first at bat.

FWIW, IMO most performance reviews are corporate fluff, in today's PC world people rarely tell it like it is (for both positive and negative things).

Bryce

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 1:41 p.m.

Yeah... and this was actually useful because it is making me think how to do any job better.

I still really think about how much more I've enjoyed web design and it has played into my interests and skills. I produce something I consider tangible. It's a challenge and a puzzle. I get to exercise a level of creativity. I need to plan out what the ultimate goals will be and build it so that it has growth potential as it inevitably expands. I feel that way naturally about similar tasks.

I don't naturally fall into that mindset with most other tasks I'm doing.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 2:52 p.m.

LOL! I just found a posting on the local CL. One of our regular client organizations is looking for someone to do pretty much what I want to do, communications web management. So, pretty much the parts of this job that I've enjoyed most and the ability to focus on just one thing at a time. And I'd be getting a small pay raise.

Gonna tweak my resume this afternoon and send that in.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/18/08 2:57 p.m.

I just got a performance review at work that I was not happy with. It is the second such review I have received in 5 years of working exerience. Last time I got one, I jumped ship and got a good dollar raise and a move to the sunny south. Hit it up.

My sister just changed jobs 4 times in the past year. She doubled her salary and went from assistant to the editor to being an editor. How's that for crazy!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/18/08 5:03 p.m.

I just got a great performance review with another small raise, my third since working here.

And i still hate my job with a passion to the point that it ruins a lot of my outside life. But i can't afford any pay cuts. Awesome situation.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/18/08 5:23 p.m.

I sell fish...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/18/08 5:34 p.m.

If you like doing I.T. stuff...

you can get paid a lot less to work a lot harder.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 5:40 p.m.

I'm thinking my interest and what I've enjoyed most in the work I've done is Web Development/Web Management. In which case I would be getting paid more to work less.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 6:19 p.m.

So now... how much do I tell my current boss, and when, that I'm looking into getting a different job? What do I do for putting them down as a reference to prove that I've done the tasks I have? That could really be screwed up if I were to not get a job and still be here after telling them that I was job hunting. Or a potential employer might be unhappy if I were to leave my current employer off of my references.

We had one lady from our office recently go to work at CALFED, and the bosses knew she was looking for a job there and supported that... but she'd been with the company longer than me and it made tons of sense for her to work at CALFED since she's had quite a few years of work time for the state that would build up towards a nice pension and other benefits.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
6/18/08 7:05 p.m.
Salanis wrote: So now... how much do I tell my current boss, and when, that I'm looking into getting a different job? What do I do for putting them down as a reference to prove that I've done the tasks I have? That could really be screwed up if I were to not get a job and still be here after telling them that I was job hunting. Or a potential employer might be unhappy if I were to leave my current employer off of my references.

You have a lot to learn abuot the world of work. Don't tell boss that you are looking for work elsewhere. Buckle down and get better the areas that were highlighted in your review. In the meantime start looking for a new job.

No one interested in hiring you is going to call a current employer for a reference. Use the same references you had for the current job. If people ask why are looking elsewhere, tell them something true, but skip any reference to the review. For example, "In my current job, I have had a chance to do web development and web managment. I really enjoy it. XYZ company doesn't have a need for much web development, so I am looking for a place where I can do more of it." Its all true.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/18/08 7:32 p.m.

You tell them after you have accepted another offer (in writing) and you're putting in your notice. Like Q said, you've got a lot to learn. ;)

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/08 7:35 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I'm thinking my interest and what I've enjoyed most in the work I've done is Web Development/Web Management. In which case I would be getting paid more to work less.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHA.

That's what YOU think.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/19/08 12:49 a.m.
Type Q wrote: You have a lot to learn abuot the world of work. Don't tell boss that you are looking for work elsewhere. Buckle down and get better the areas that were highlighted in your review. In the meantime start looking for a new job. No one interested in hiring you is going to call a current employer for a reference.

Okay, that sounds pretty much like what I was going to do, No way in hell would I mention the performance review. I just wasn't sure about the potential employer calling my current employer.

What you suggested I say is almost exactly what I was thinking of. And it's totally honest, I'm not leaving because of a bad review; I'm leaving because a poor review highlighted that what I'm interested in doing isn't what my current job is.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I do have much to learn.

Maybe I wouldn't be working less, but I'd be getting paid more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzeRK35T6C2qQM4VJWyFa5fM6rCw3V25V1A9uULINN0CvSR8FUBrD68qEWRuiR4V