1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 9:04 a.m.

The question is what platforms are good for what purpose.  I have a very limited social media presence for my company. More than one person has said you need to expand it. This got me thinking that there are so many platforms out there now what is good for business versus what is good for personal.  Does your business type then dictate the platform?  Should you take the shotgun approach and hit them all with minimal content?  Or just a couple ones with a more focused approach. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 9:16 a.m.

I think the first one I'd look at is - where are your customers? If you're selling B2B, you probably don't want to be on Facebook or Instagram (I'd wager - I'm not on IG).

It's really a matter to find out where your audience is hanging out and going to seek them out there.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/12/19 10:27 a.m.

What is your company?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 10:59 a.m.

We get very different responses from IG and FB. IG is immediate but shallow, FB leads to more conversations and interactions. Twitter is just non-stop, so we stay out of that. IG and FB are pretty easy to hit together because they’re both owned by the king of social media.

What really makes a difference, however, is participation. If you just post an ad and ignore it after that, you’ll get very little value. If you enter into actual conversations with people - and are a human instead of a sales droid - you’ll get a lot more benefit. And show your company’s culture, not just posting ads or super-slick marketing products. 

Alternately - are you in the sort of business that even needs a social media presence?

dean1484
5/12/19 2:00 p.m.

I own an architectural firm. So on the one had I think we need more of a presence but if I could focus it I think that may be a better use of resources. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/12/19 2:03 p.m.

Grindr, dual income no kids have the most discretionary income. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 4:00 p.m.
captdownshift said:

I’ve been contemplating starting a site for amputees - I’d call it StumpGrindr. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 4:18 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
captdownshift said:

I’ve been contemplating starting a site for amputees - I’d call it StumpGrindr. 

Where's the Aaaaaargh button?

YouTube might also qualify as a social network these days. Might be a good place to showcase your work, Dean?

dean1484
5/12/19 4:23 p.m.

Not a bad idea!!!  Permission from clients aside that could be fun and my wife does a lot of video editing that has slowly been turning in to paying gigs now and then.

Hummmm. 

Another thing to add to the list. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/12/19 5:56 p.m.

I've been working with our company's social media guy a good bit lately doing live shows. We are a retail product company. We mainly originate content on FB but cross post to IG and YouTube. Given the visual nature of architecture I think IG would be strongest for you. I think I'd originate content there but have it cross post to a FB account. What are others architecture firms you admire doing? 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/12/19 6:06 p.m.

Linkedin is probably a good bet. It's basically Facebook for business.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/13/19 11:41 a.m.

No one has asked, and you haven't expounded on, what are you trying to accomplish? Without a clear goal you aren't going to get the benefit you want. 

I know if I was in a position to hire an architect for my new home or business location, I wouldn't be searching on IG or Facebook for one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/13/19 11:42 a.m.

Just say NO.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/19 11:51 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Linkedin is probably a good bet. It's basically Facebook for business.

ug. Linkedin. Definitely the facebook for business. Not sure if it's a "good bet". 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/19 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

When you realize Farmville is a posi scheme. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/13/19 12:08 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to Robbie :

posi-traction?   how do i get in...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/13/19 12:40 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
captdownshift said:

In reply to Robbie :

Yeah, but it's a scheme that really digs in.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 12:56 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:
captdownshift said:

In reply to Robbie :

Yeah, but it's a scheme that really digs in

at least you won't just sit there spinning your wheels...

Dauz
Dauz New Reader
6/25/19 11:42 a.m.

I think it's best to use Facebook and Instagram. At least these social networks are the most common now.
I have my pages there. Although I have not been using it recently and I have not updated the information there for a long time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/19 2:39 p.m.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/25/19 3:14 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I make that same joke about Golf

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/25/19 3:19 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I know if I was in a position to hire an architect for my new home or business location, I wouldn't be searching on IG or Facebook for one.

Agreed, however the brand recognition could become helpful.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/25/19 3:24 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
z31maniac said:

Agreed, however the brand recognition could become helpful.

That's a good point. Pinterest may be good one as well since people can determine exactly the types of content they want to follow.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/25/19 3:30 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I make that same joke about Golf

Actually, now that you mention it, the golf course is probably one of the best places to exchange ideas and make deals with clients and potential clients.  So, "the golf course" would be my "social media" of choice.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/25/19 4:51 p.m.

I've been pondering the same thing. I have faceballs now. I use it to mostly ignore my family.  I detest the IG generation and am absolutely resistent to it. I am guilty of Pinterest, but it's by far the easiest way to gather up things I like (Bikes, typography, graf, tattoos, and cephalapods.) for future idea digestion. 

My biggest problem is- it seems like the BEST way to gain exposure for the type of thing I like to do- is to have instagram. I've come close a few times, but....man. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XljD1azQWbCuHZAbbBoNtb95y7Vxm1q6EWBn5T11qJmgPCycdCkCR2CoV3c2kDdu