1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/12/17 12:44 a.m.

Quick question: Do I have to have my album settings on "public" in order to post pics here?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Good question. I don't think so if you're direct linking.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
7/12/17 9:14 a.m.

Registration submitted. Thanks

Stampie
7/12/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to spin_out:

You too have joined the ranks of photobertit.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 11:51 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Still having issues hot linking pics from Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime is creating temp hot links, which only seem to last for a day or two. Has anyone figured out a way to make Amazon pics work? dj06482, your method also creates temp links...

If after all that effort I can't get a permanent link, I'm going to have to try something else

Photoberkit worked great to upload my first photo (using the single file method), but I'm not able to upload a second. EDIT: now it just let me upload more photos.

Stampie
7/12/17 2:30 p.m.

In reply to dj06482:

Make sure you select the folder again. I just hit the back button and the folder stays selected.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/12/17 8:37 p.m.

I just created an account

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/12/17 8:43 p.m.

After spending all night berkeleying with Flickr, can someone explain photoberkit to me, a luddite that depended on the simplicity of photobucket?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/12/17 8:43 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Account approved

EastCoastMojo
7/12/17 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

It goes like this:

1 register on photoberkit.com/copper

2 create an album

3 upload pics to album

4 click on My Gallery > Edit Files to grab the image address

5 use camera icon tool when posting here to insert link in post

Today I had to update my flash player before it would upload my file, so may want to do that first.

YoloRX7
YoloRX7 New Reader
7/13/17 10:48 p.m.

I'm a little late to the game here. Can anyone give my cliff notes and point to a direction to upload photos. Or is not that easy?

Stampie
7/14/17 7:55 a.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/14/17 11:34 a.m.

I'm signed into Photoberkit but when I try to copy paste my photobucket stuff I get the usual flag. How do I save an older photo to my desktop (or anywhere else) to be used later?

These are images of a truck I built some years ago, cannot be duplicated.

Dan

Stampie
7/14/17 11:57 a.m.

You'd want to either long press or right click and then download image or save image. Others here have downloaded all of their pictures from photobucket in a zip file so they may be able to tell you how to do that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/17 1:50 p.m.

I spent a bit of time this week coding up my own photo hosting script. I realized that my previous setup was effective but really clunky to use.

At the moment, it's just a bucket for photos - but it's really quick. Design intent was maximum ease and speed with no thought of what it looks like and no public-facing gallery software.

And you have FULL CONTROL over the photos for perpetuity. Need to change hosts? No problem. You own the domain. Just download the photos off the server and load them on the next one. All links will remain good.

You will need a hosting account and your own domain. Currently, you can get what you need - including the domain - for $2.95/month at Bluehost. The only things the host needs are 1) enough storage space for your needs and 2) PHP capabilities, which are pretty standard.

To set it up, you'll just need to install one PHP file on the server and add a directory. Upload process looks like this:

• select 1-3 pictures (I can increase the maximum number if desired) to upload and enter your PIN. Change the maximum size of your picture if desired.
  • Site responds with thumbnails of your new pictures
  • Do a long press on the thumbnail you want to post and copy the link
  • do whatever is required to hotlink on the forum of your choice

There's also a bare-bones gallery that lets you look at the photos currently on the server and get their links. That involves uploading a second file.

I'm still refining it. Future plans include a gallery that lets you edit photos (delete, rotate) and possibly some organizational tools or tagging. If anyone's interested, I can fire over the files.

Keith Tanner
7/14/17 1:54 p.m.

Screenshots!

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/14/17 4:05 p.m.

Does GRM host it's own photos like H.A.M.B and so many others?

EastCoastMojo
7/14/17 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Two_Tools_In_a_Tent:

No, as I stated before, the photos will need to be hosted elsewhere before you can post them here.

EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to Two_Tools_In_a_Tent: All photos must be hosted elsewhere in order to be posted on GRM.
Stampie
7/14/17 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I'm interested. Does it have the ability for different users?

Keith Tanner
7/14/17 6:06 p.m.

Wasn't really planning on that, although you could define a couple of users and have them dump into their own directories without too much trouble. I'd probably just add a config file for that.

It's not for setting up a photo hosting service for other people. It's a way for someone who wants to control their own images to have their own future-proof hosting without much effort. Like I've been doing for 20 years, but without the cellphone unfriendly mucking about with resizing photos and using FTP.

Shoot me a message and I'll fire off the code to you this weekend. It's pretty simple and not terribly elegant, but it gets the job done as long as it's the job you want done.

Stampie
7/14/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Pm sent

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/15/17 12:04 a.m.

As someone who has been on car forums since they were mailing lists and who is also a fairly prolific DIY'er, i have posted a LOT of pics in car forums over the years.

My photobucket has 1832 pics in it. The only reason i ever uploaded most of them was to link into a thread. I'm an ASE master tech who has owned about 60 cars and worked on thousands. Over the years i have generated a LOT of useful content and Photobucket just broke all of it. Maybe if I hadn't been on car forums for 16 years or only had a couple hundred hotlinked pics, i could go fix all of it. As it is you would have to pay me!

It's rather frustrating that as the old men of the internet such as myself (I've been online since about 1997) watch forums die and people migrating to facebook groups and other venues where good technical info is basically impossible to find once it's buried under new content, Photobucket decides to trash all the articles and how-to's and build threads that are actually searchable anyway. I'm not old, but on the timeline of the internet as we know it i'm about as old as it gets and stuff like this puts nails in the coffin of what we used to think the internet was going to be. People used to complain about the 24-hr news cycle. Now the internet's social spaces are taking that to greater extremes and catering to shorter and shorter attention spans until the idea of using the internet for actual research and learning becomes fringe. For me it used to be the whole point! The only reason I was able to learn so much so fast in my younger years (hah) was because the internet made it possible. As a teacher the last 3 years i would get 18-year old students fresh out of high school who didn't really know anything about cars and the devil on my shoulder would say 'its already too late for you to catch up to me by my age' and ponder just how strangely obsessive you have to be to do as much information-seeking as i used to do. The depressing thing is that in some ways it seems harder to find good information now than it did 10 years ago.

The internet is deeply commercialized and much of it is engineered to funnel users into a filter bubble designed to tickle the ego with confirmation bias and keep bombarding you with little prompts asking you to rate/scroll/rate/scroll to data-mine your personality as quickly as possible to better refine the algorithms that are supposed to monetize your online activity by feeding you ads disguised as content that won't challenge you to question what you already think you know. They're learning but we're not.

I guess that sounds dark, but it seems to me that in spite of all the resources the internet purportedly makes available to us, it is a dark time for learning! Killing build threads going back a decade is a little taste of what the Brave New Internet will be like for car enthusiasts.

All weirdness aside, i do legitimately enjoy several of my fellow GRMer's Instagram accounts.

I recently started using Imgur. One of my 2 pics so far is of a car i hope to take to the $2017 Challenge, and the other one is this: A deeply ironic screencap of Vigo playing an old-man character in a video game who made game-winning contributions only to have the program crash out when it came time to review the highlight reel. LOL. Just don't bury me next to Photobucket.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/17 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I hear what you're saying, and I fear this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/15/17 11:12 a.m.

Ahhh, I understand. I was asking the same question from two different angles. Sorry, I know nothing about this process or even the terminology.

Stampie
7/18/17 6:38 a.m.

TLDR - Just wanted to say that I screwed up and photoberkit went down last night.

So when I registered photoberkit they wanted to verify my contact info. Something like "verify contact info blah blah blah suspend blah blah blah two weeks". My mind said oh I have two weeks so I can do that later. Well later pasted last night and they suspended it. Good news is I'm now verified so the world's all good and the sun will continue to revolve around the earth.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z0Udz8vvQsx4Xr7oaN92xeaLm7NzNFNEb73Zw2iXJjy3wWOLJTFgjtroJDVt43KG