EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/13/18 5:02 p.m.

Background info: I currently have a freeze on my credit with all four credit agencies:  Equifax, Trans Union,  Experian and Innovis. This has been in place for several months, since the breech at Equifax last year. A nice side benefit being a huge reduction in "pre-approved offers" arriving in my mailbox.

Today I received a pre-approved offer from CapitalOne, a company with whom I have no accounts, active or otherwise. This offer had my name all jumbled up, my last name being used as the first name, and my middle name as my last name, nd it wasn't that they left out a comma. My concern is that someone, somewhere, is possibly trying to pass off this version of my name and apply for credit, which may have landed me on their mailing list.

My first course of action was to call CapitalOne, which was a futile effort to communicate with someone for whom english was not their native tongue, and all that I was able to accomplish was to remove my address from their marketing list. They could not confirm where they got this version of my name. The spiel that I was given was to contact the credit bureaus to see if they could tell me anything, but none of those agencies make it straightforward to contact them about this type of issue. 

Am I being paranoid? Since I have freezes in place is it even possible for someone to get credit issued with a variation of my name? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/13/18 5:29 p.m.

I would be a little concerned, but not terribly. Keep an eye on your credit to see if amy accounts are opened and go from there. 

Also, how did they have It? Coast mojo east?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/18 5:39 p.m.

With your credit frozen, almost zero concern.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/13/18 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yes, essentially. It was Mojo E. Coast.  Very odd. 

I was thinking about getting my free credit reports for the year, but other than that I am not certain there is much else I can do to monitor for any new activity without enrolling in credit monitoring services which cost money.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/17/18 5:30 p.m.

Well, berkeley.

Today I received a letter disclosing that a security breech has been detected at a company that I used while studying for my insurance license. It appears that my SS#, driver's license and bank info have "possibly" been accessed. 

I will be ordering my free credit report on Monday, as well as contacting my bank to alert them about this. Are there any other steps I should take? I don't have much in the way of assets, but having an excellent credit score makes me feel like a likely target for a hacker. 

Thank you in advance for your advice, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/17/18 5:40 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I believe that if you already have your credit frozen you're going to be ok. I would go ahead and contact the bank but I don't think they can do anything with your information if your credit is frozen. 

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way qualified to help you. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/17/18 6:13 p.m.

I use Zanderins.com, Zander Insurance, as recommended by Dave Ramsey.  Our company had a HR data breach a couple years ago and they payed for 2 years worth of the monitoring service of our choice.  Linky.   It's worth the peace of mind to me.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
2/17/18 8:21 p.m.

I have never heard of Innovis!

Our Preferred Partners
WitctN0goE60i9gJxqDzsVoxqJtqos6w