1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 7:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 7:47 p.m.

I approve.

However, there is only One True Poutine. Fresh St Albert cheese curds. Beef gravy. Chunky fries from a chip wagon. Done.

Some people will pile more things on top in order to try to be artisan or clever. If you find a poutine purveyor that lists extra ingredients but does not specify the origin of the curds, keep walking.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 7:50 p.m.

The cheese curds absolutely need to be squeaky. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/11/18 7:54 p.m.

I admit it's pretty good stuff. I've tried it. But it doesn't meet Annie and my's lifestyle diet. So we have to say no. (I've lost 20 pounds since last Sept.).

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/11/18 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I’ve ordered poutine and received something with cheddar cheese on it. Philistines!!

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/18 8:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I approve.

However, there is only One True Poutine. Fresh St Albert cheese curds. Beef gravy. Chunky fries from a chip wagon. Done.

Some people will pile more things on top in order to try to be artisan or clever. If you find a poutine purveyor that lists extra ingredients but does not specify the origin of the curds, keep walking.

I agree, except they need to be Balderson or Harrowsmith curds.  (although I think St. Alberts bought Harrowsmith) But completely correct on the chunky wagon fries.  Just like the ones you get at the fair where they put the whole potato in that manual guillotine slicer and straight into oil so hot it smokes.  Little crispy skin on the ends, soft and oil-soaked in the middle.

If you ever find yourself in Sharbot Lake, ONT on Hwy 7, stop at Jossy's chip wagon.  To me, they are the absolute pinnacle of Poutine delight.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/12/18 5:59 a.m.

The best curds I've ever had were from Fromage Au Village in Lorrainville Quebec, near Ville Marie. That may only be because they're close enough to Temis that they were available same day.  Squeak? Wear your earplugs. :)

Freshness matters for curds.

cdowd
cdowd Dork
5/12/18 8:35 a.m.

I went to University in Canada.  There was nothing like Poutine at 2:00 am after a long night.   I just had breakfast and now am hungry.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/12/18 8:51 a.m.

The only bad part about this thread is that the festival is sold out.

Oh, and I have no idea where to get curds locally of any quality, so I have to make due with sub par poutine.

Keith Tanner
5/12/18 9:16 a.m.
Curtis said:
Keith Tanner said:

I approve.

I agree, except they need to be Balderson or Harrowsmith curds.  (although I think St. Alberts bought Harrowsmith) But completely correct on the chunky wagon fries.  Just like the ones you get at the fair where they put the whole potato in that manual guillotine slicer and straight into oil so hot it smokes.  Little crispy skin on the ends, soft and oil-soaked in the middle.

If you ever find yourself in Sharbot Lake, ONT on Hwy 7, stop at Jossy's chip wagon.  To me, they are the absolute pinnacle of Poutine delight.

A week from now, I will be close to Sharbot Lake. I will attempt a rendezvous with Jossy. 

Balderson, eh? Great cheddar, never associated them with curds. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/12/18 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

I don't remember the name of the place, but we used to get some great fries at a place in Sharbot Lake back in the 70s. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/12/18 9:30 a.m.
RevRico said:

Oh, and I have no idea where to get curds locally of any quality, so I have to make due with sub par poutine.

The forum has members in WI. Best curds on the planet. Someone will send you some. Hell I'll grab a bag for you next time I'm there (usually im there about 4x a year).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/12/18 10:17 a.m.

I quite like some green onion on my poutine. Not sure if that is a sin or not. 

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/12/18 11:52 a.m.

Well damn, we are going to be in Maine about that time, might have to take a slight detour....

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/13/18 8:41 a.m.

Cheese hipsters? Gravy hipsters? Chipsters? Gripsters?

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/13/18 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have a place not too far from Sharbot Lake. Awesome twisty roads with awesome scenery around there. When I go there everyone else is lazing around the water, or fishing; and while I occasionally partake in those pursuits. I am most often cruising the back roads.

Keith Tanner
5/13/18 7:25 p.m.

When I was romping around that area, I’d always look for the cottage roads going around the other side of the lake from the highway. They’re the squirrelly ones. Generally not for big cars. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/13/18 9:33 p.m.
Robbie said:
RevRico said:

The forum has members in WI. Best curds on the planet. Someone will send you some. Hell I'll grab a bag for you next time I'm there (usually im there about 4x a year).

Ellsworth coop creamery. Best. Curds. Ever. So fresh they're still warm from the cow. Buy 3lbs at a time. One to eat on the way home, one to share, and a third to eat on the toilet while grunting out the first. One of the few good thing about my ex's home town. 

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
5/14/18 10:07 a.m.

I am a Quebecois and I approve of this.

Keith Tanner
5/14/18 10:43 a.m.

Poutine is the perfect ski food. Fills you up and keeps you warm all day. It really is a product of Quebec's climate, you'd never come up with this in, say, Jamaica.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
5/14/18 11:25 a.m.

So I'm in the pacific northwest about an hour from the border. I always thought Poutine was a Canadian thing. You run into it once in a while down here but not often. I am assuming it is a much bigger deal in the northeast?

Keith Tanner
5/14/18 11:42 a.m.

It's a Quebec thing, so it tends to be found in that general area. Figure it probably has about the same natural habitat as maple syrup.

I just found out that the latest pretentious bar in GJ offers poutine. I will have to check it out, but I do not have high hopes.

Edit: looked online, they offer "Mexican poutine". Eeek.

WilD
WilD Dork
5/14/18 12:13 p.m.

This thread has made it clear that I have never had proper poutine.  I have only had the pretentious bar style.  It was disgusting mush that did not squeak at all.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/14/18 12:49 p.m.

If you are eating Poutine and can understand the people around you, you are not eating Poutine.

Pete

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/14/18 12:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It's a Quebec thing, so it tends to be found in that general area. Figure it probably has about the same natural habitat as maple syrup.

I just found out that the latest pretentious bar in GJ offers poutine. I will have to check it out, but I do not have high hopes.

Edit: looked online, they offer "Mexican poutine". Eeek.

Mexican poutine is not poutine. Its nachos. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nDg70RXMva7zrDJdPagnntzTvbGRAAYil0iuRlVH7AHNP3W8dV3mIIMwpK9VaEKv