1/20/20 3:37 p.m.

No clue what I am doing 

but took fence down. Now started sanding deck 

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/20 9:25 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Pictures so you guys can help me

1) this is deck I have to sand and marine varnish ? 

This is plain old pressure treated SYP (southern yellow pine).  Ge the sander I talked about above.  Rent it at HD or another rental place.  Don't varnish it or you'll end up falling on your tookus every time it's wet. Pick up a couple gallons of your favorite color deck stain and slather it on.  The wood isn't in terrible shape, so you don't need to sand the heck out of it, but this also means you won't necessarily be sanding off all of the previous stain, especially in the corners.  For this reason I suggest a semi-translucent or opaque stain instead of a translucent or transparent stain.

Curtis73
1/20/20 9:28 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Picture 2 

This is the brick she wants to brick back to life

volume

wise there is 4x these bricks all over the house 

same shape 

This is a classic job for a pressure washer.  There is the right way and the wrong way.  The wrong way is to use a 10 degree nozzle and blast the heck out of it.  You'll likely end up ripping out half of the mortar between the bricks.  The right way is to get a masonry cleaner/algae killer stuff and follow the directions.  Spray it on, then use maybe a 40 degree nozzle to spray it off.

Curtis73
1/20/20 9:31 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

picture 3 . Here is fence, not sure cedar

or not 

here is the fence in question. First pic is the good area 

second pic is "bad area"

The fence is typical dog-ear pressure treated white pine.  This should be treated exactly like your brick, but with a proper deck/fence cleaner and a 40 degree nozzle on a pressure washer..

Curtis73
1/20/20 9:35 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

last picture 

this is wooden shed. Also need to stain . 

Same white pine.  I should amend... depending on your geographical location, it could be SYP (southern yellow pine), Douglas Fir, or Spruce, but the deck looks like SYP to me, and the fence/shed looks like white pine.

Brick and fence:  Get appropriate chemicals for cleaning.  Follow with 40 degree spray nozzle on a pressure washer.  Stain with the same stuff you get for the deck.

Deck (where your feet will frequently meet it): sander and stain.

Curtis73
1/20/20 9:41 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

You're doing great with that sanding, but I think you'll find that you'll spend more in 4.5" sanding discs than you would renting a proper square sander and buying a few sanding pads.  There is also a huge time difference.  Your palm sander might take a week, but a square sander might take 2 hours.  The palm sander also doesn't have the weight, the fortitude, or the lifespan to really sand as deep as you need.

Seriously... rent one of THESE and have fun. Use the palm sander for around tight areas.  Sidenote: I used to work for HD rental and this sort of thing is my bag, baby.  I used to give classes on floor refinishing.  For that size deck, I recommend 6 sheets of 60 grit and 3 sheets of 120 grit.  You can always return unused sheets.  No need for perfection.  It isn't a hardwood floor getting new polyurethane.  Just get rid of the gray wood and get down to smooth, fresh lumber.

Then go HERE and research deck stains.  I promise, I'm not a canoe for HD, it's just that I know their products well.  One of my favorites is the Olympic Elite in a semi-solid transparency.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 9:38 a.m.
Curtis73 said:

This is plain old pressure treated SYP (southern yellow pine).  Ge the sander I talked about above.  Rent it at HD or another rental place.  Don't varnish it or you'll end up falling on your tookus every time it's wet. Pick up a couple gallons of your favorite color deck stain and slather it on.  The wood isn't in terrible shape, so you don't need to sand the heck out of it, but this also means you won't necessarily be sanding off all of the previous stain, especially in the corners.  For this reason I suggest a semi-translucent or opaque stain instead of a translucent or transparent stain.

Thank you SO much for your help. I am renting the HD sander today. 

this is what my neighbor gave me. He built this chair and did this. It was his recommendation. 

but given you know what you are talking about I won't varnish then :) 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 9:40 a.m.
Curtis73 said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Picture 2 

This is the brick she wants to brick back to life

volume

wise there is 4x these bricks all over the house 

same shape 

This is a classic job for a pressure washer.  There is the right way and the wrong way.  The wrong way is to use a 10 degree nozzle and blast the heck out of it.  You'll likely end up ripping out half of the mortar between the bricks.  The right way is to get a masonry cleaner/algae killer stuff and follow the directions.  Spray it on, then use maybe a 40 degree nozzle to spray it off.

HD pressure washer are $100 a day here. I am in So Cal. 

I didn't know they had different degree nozzle. I will get professional masonry cleaner and do 40 degrees as you suggested. How often should this be done? Once a year ? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 9:42 a.m.
Curtis73 said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

You're doing great with that sanding, but I think you'll find that you'll spend more in 4.5" sanding discs than you would renting a proper square sander and buying a few sanding pads.  There is also a huge time difference.  Your palm sander might take a week, but a square sander might take 2 hours.  The palm sander also doesn't have the weight, the fortitude, or the lifespan to really sand as deep as you need.

Seriously... rent one of THESE and have fun. Use the palm sander for around tight areas.  Sidenote: I used to work for HD rental and this sort of thing is my bag, baby.  I used to give classes on floor refinishing.  For that size deck, I recommend 6 sheets of 60 grit and 3 sheets of 120 grit.  You can always return unused sheets.  No need for perfection.  It isn't a hardwood floor getting new polyurethane.  Just get rid of the gray wood and get down to smooth, fresh lumber.

Then go HERE and research deck stains.  I promise, I'm not a canoe for HD, it's just that I know their products well.  One of my favorites is the Olympic Elite in a semi-solid transparency.

I can't thank you enough!! I owe you more than a i meal and a drink when you are in town. I really need to get your Impala ! 

For fence: 

lastly, after looking at the Olympic Elite - the semi sold transparency looks a bit "painted" 

the Olympic elite semi transparent looks a bit more natural . 

I want to keep the same reddish wood tint the wood alrwady has on fence in the good areas. 

do you think the semi transparent will be ok ? 

cumaru color seems closest. 
also how many coats do you recommend for fence ?? Rains 8 days a year and it's vertical 

thank you !!! 

Curtis73
1/21/20 9:45 a.m.

The semi-solid stains do look a bit like paint.  It's a trade-off.  Transparent stain will just need a bit more sanding to make sure you have pretty wood under it.

Curtis73
1/21/20 9:46 a.m.

As far as number of coats, each manufacturer will be a little different. Probably at least 2

Curtis73
1/21/20 10:17 a.m.

Check around locally.  Often times you can score an electric pressure washer for $100 or less, then you'll have it for future projects.

You can also get by with just a garden hose, but it isn't nearly as effective.  Some of the products advertise to spray on and hose off, but it won't be as effective.

I do my concrete patio once a year in the spring, but that's mostly because I own a good pressure washer.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 10:52 a.m.

Yeah there were 4 pressure washers on CL. I offered money, but everyone asking $300 or more. I figure at $350 I can buy my own new one.  

Oh I didnt look at the electric ones. I looked at the gas ones only. Will look at some electric options then.

I was thinking of going with your semi solid recommendaiton for the Deck, and going with the semi transparent for the fence.  I hope NOT to sand the fences? THere is so much of it. Do the clean as you suggested with fence cleaner adn 40 degree pressure washer, and stain on top?

Curtis73
1/21/20 12:06 p.m.

You can pressure wash anything that doesn't need to be smooth, like the fence and shed.  The deck is the only thing that needs to be sanded.

For the vertical stuff, yes.  Pressure wash it, give it a few good warm days to dry, and then stain.  You'll find that pressure washing is a bit of an art.  You can experiment, but try to keep the wand at the same distance from the fence as you work.  If you swing it up and down you'll get uneven cleaning and it will look streaky.  Practice on your pool deck first maybe.  Concrete is forgiving.

Take note in the picture of the streaks.  This was most likely from holding the wand at an angle.  The part of the water spray that was closer to the concrete cleaned better than the rest and it makes streaks like that.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 12:17 p.m.

Ah ok! Thank you so much. Will be a few hard working weeks. Will post end results, with the help you have provided. 

Curtis73
1/21/20 1:43 p.m.

I look forward to it.

Regarding the spar varnish.  It is great stuff, but it will be very slippery when wet, and won't hold up really well with dirty/sandy/muddy shoes and stuff.  It is best used on pretty things, like doors, benches, and outdoor wood decorative stuff.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 2:00 p.m.
Curtis73 said:

I look forward to it.

Regarding the spar varnish.  It is great stuff, but it will be very slippery when wet, and won't hold up really well with dirty/sandy/muddy shoes and stuff.  It is best used on pretty things, like doors, benches, and outdoor wood decorative stuff.

Makes sense. I think my neighbor sent it, due to the fact, that my deck is on the "Wrong" side of the house. So it hardly gets walked on or stepped on at all. It really essentially is decorative :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 2:02 p.m.

Additionally found this on used. Guy asking $250. Will take $150.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
1/22/20 8:19 a.m.

That sounds like a great deal. 

I paid $100 for a mon-running one   Just cleaned the carb and was good but $150 for a running one sounds like a winner  

also, you can borrow mine if you want.  Not sure where you are around here but I'm by lax

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/22/20 9:42 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

That sounds like a great deal. 

I paid $100 for a mon-running one   Just cleaned the carb and was good but $150 for a running one sounds like a winner  

also, you can borrow mine if you want.  Not sure where you are around here but I'm by lax

Thank you for the generous offer! I haven't bought one from Craigs yet. 

I am in El Segundo quite often. If you don't mind lending for about 10 days, I will pick up. 

otherwise I will get the craigs one 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/22/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

I told wife we don't need to paint bricks per your recommendation 

wife mentioned some of these "lower bricks," will they work with your brick cleaner pressure washer idea, or something else needs to be done ? 

Curtis73
1/22/20 3:19 p.m.

Those bricks will look lovely when you're done.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/22/20 3:30 p.m.

For prepping the fence: A buddy of mine hipped me to "spray & forget" (or "spray & pray" as I call it. Lawlz.)

Works surprisingly well without the need for pressure-washing. Ymmv. I'm berkeleying lazy when it comes to this stuff.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/23/20 12:51 a.m.
Curtis73 said:

Those bricks will look lovely when you're done.

Music to my ears!!!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/23/20 12:52 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

For prepping the fence: A buddy of mine hipped me to "spray & forget" (or "spray & pray" as I call it. Lawlz.)

Works surprisingly well without the need for pressure-washing. Ymmv. I'm berkeleying lazy when it comes to this stuff.

Will have to look it up. 

I am lazy when it comes to things I don't want to do (house work). But to remain married and owning 9 cars, wife has 1 car, I am willing not to be lazy this year :) 

wish me luck 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ypDSOlKgnpHkWUzkljKZED9BZ0APZNXXIjX9XYRAP45CJDBloFZXSg3Ku5KAtjVh