HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
10/28/16 8:29 a.m.

I've been looking for a small trailer to transport camping gear and dirt bikes. I've found several on CL for cheap, but lacking documents.

Assuming that I'm reasonably confident that the seller is honest, and the reasons for the lack of documents are irrelevant, how does one proceed to get such a trailer road legal again?

I know some states have loopholes that make this pretty easy. (ME,SD, possibly VT)?

PS, I'm in PA, I didn't find anything helpful on the state's DMV website.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/16 9:12 a.m.

I built a HF trailer, which requires you to apply for a title. It was pretty easy, and I got to make up my own VIN. The only thing I had to pay for (outside of the state fees) was to get a certified weight ticket. I would recommend forgetting trying to find an old title or whatever, just claim you built it yourself, get a weight ticket, and apply for a special-construction trailer title.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/28/16 9:42 a.m.

You need to call the DMV. Good luck with that. SC doesn't required tags or titles on small trailers, but you can call it a homemade trailer and get one. I have no idea when they start requiring tags (and hence titles).

Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/28/16 5:35 p.m.

Trailer regs vary from state to state. Some don't even require small utility trailers to even have tags.

You should follow pinchvale's recommendations since he is in PA.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/28/16 8:00 p.m.

Here in SD you build a homemade trailer, get a form from the county with an assigned serial number on it, stamp the serial number into the trailer tongue, have a law enforcement officer verify the stamping, get a certified weight ticket for the trailer, and present the whole works back to the county for the title and plate. If you weigh the trailer on the way to the courthouse and take your number stamps with you it can be done in one trip.

If your state is more difficult, the harbor freight trailers are supposed to come with a Manufacturer Statement of Origin form that lists the serial number stamped on the label plate on the trailer and functions exactly like a title for a new vehicle. That form plus your receipt should be equivalent to a title and bill of sale and transfer ownership just as easily. When I lived in NY a lot of the guys went that way because it was just easier than the paperwork for homemade. Sometimes it was enough easier that the harbor freight trailer would be reinforced by replacing everything except the tongue with the serial number on it with parts from a well built home made trailer.

cabbagecop
cabbagecop New Reader
10/28/16 8:25 p.m.

In Florida if it is under a certain weight you don't need a title. Just go get a weight ticket and claim homebuilt. You will get a registration and tag. The registration actually has a place on it to use as a bill of sale later. No numbers needed on the trailer.

Adeolaewn9
Adeolaewn9 New Reader
8/8/19 12:59 a.m.

{ verbose crafty canoe deleted, paddle about your own river }

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/8/19 7:35 a.m.

Crafty Canoe

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
4/29/20 4:21 a.m.

Crafty canoe strikes again reviving this thread from 2016