1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
2/23/17 4:14 p.m.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been into cars. And almost as long as I've been into cars, I've been into writing. Around the 2nd grade, I noticed that my elementary school's library stocked some car magazines, including Hot Rod, Motor Trend, and more. I would read each issue as soon as I could. And all through high school, I kept reading car magazines, with my favorite being Car Craft. At the time, they had a staff that included David Freiburger (of Hot Rod and Roadkill fame) and others, and their DIY attitude had a serious impact on my teenage mind. And in my English classes, whenever we had the chance to do creative writing, 9 times out of 10 it was about cars.

I went to college and studied History, and in that field, you have to do a lot of research and write about your findings. I also took music classes whenever I could (another side hobby of mine), and one of them included an assignment about writing a review of a live show. My band had a gig that weekend, so I wrote a review of the venue we played at and the other bands for the assignment. A few days later, I got pulled aside after the class by the professor, and she told me that she was entertained by the review enough that she suggested that I write for a living! Then it dawned on me: what if I COULD write for a publication someday? I tucked that back in my pocket and went on with my life.

A few years later, I found myself tagging along with my buddy Greg (Pseudosport) to the $2009 Challenge, an event I read about in GRM. I had a blast, and to my surprise, the GRM staff were really approachable and friendly. We had such a good time that we went back, this time with our weird autocross-built Jeep Cherokee. When we decided to toss a turbo onto the thing in the hotel parking lot overnight, I ended up being the "PR Rep" for the team, fielding questions from people and the staff. And from then on, I became friendly with some of them!

After our Jeep gained some recognition a few years later, we were offered a write-up on BangShift.com. I flat-out asked Brian Lohnes, one of the guys who runs BangShift, if I could submit my writing to them. He told me to send what I had. But I was scared of rejection, so I held off... until I got a pep talk at the $2014 Challenge from some of the GRM staff. Once we got home, I started writing, and sent some material to Brian. He liked it, and ran it! I was a published writer! I wrote as much as I could, and tried developing my own "voice" through the articles. People dug it, and I kept rolling with it.

Earlier this year, my buddies over at GRM asked if I would be interested in writing some material for them. Here's the answer:

Hopefully, you guys like it!

I have no idea where this journey will take me next, but I'm certainly enjoying the ride.

And of course, an immense THANK YOU to David, JG, and the rest of the GRM staff for making this happen.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/23/17 4:16 p.m.

Wow, Awesome dude! Congrats, I'm happy for you.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/23/17 4:23 p.m.

Awesome! This is encouraging since there are some "dreams" toward which I've recently refocused my efforts. I've found it's been far too easy to let things fall by the wayside just because it's easier to play it safe (or when I'm just plain lazy.)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/23/17 4:38 p.m.

Congrats! This is awesome! Looking forward to reading this.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
2/23/17 5:18 p.m.

That's very cool. I just got my mag and I feel a E36 M3 coming on so I'll go give it a read!

And you are right! Just because my dreams are horrible nightmare visions of murder and death on a global scale doesn't mean I should give up on them. Maybe just scale it back little... Like maybe just a village or large gathering for starters. Thanks!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
2/23/17 5:19 p.m.

Congrats! Now get back to work on the bird so you can write about it! ahahaha

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/23/17 5:29 p.m.

I threw that issue away without reading that article. If I'd known you wrote it I would have read it. But, the ridiculousness of that car - I couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, hopefully GRM will get a writer or two that likes cars. Seems like all the staff are car guys that like to write. An important distinction. Think Peter Egan, Henry Manney or Sam Smith level writers - that would make GRM great again.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/23/17 7:46 p.m.
smokindav wrote: Anyway, hopefully GRM will get a writer or two that likes cars. Seems like all the staff are car guys that like to write. An important distinction. Think Peter Egan, Henry Manney or Sam Smith level writers - that would make GRM great again.

Also, remember that Peter and Sam also started out as freelancers (not sure about Henry Manney.)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/17 8:38 p.m.

Wow!

I read the article a couple days ago. It didn't even notice the author (not that I would have recognized the name and been able to connect it to your SN anyway, but good article!)

Excellent work.

I wish I had thought of 'let me build a car in your garage mom, it will keep me off the streets'. Playas gotta play.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
2/23/17 8:55 p.m.

Fantastic!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/24/17 5:30 a.m.

I liked the article.
I like where this is going...best of luck.
Good things do come to good people!

Seeing Robbie's legit comment about not being able to make the connection from your screen name to byline, I think it is time you change your screen name to your real name and work on building your personal brand.

As samples, Lesley (Wimbush), Danny Shields, Andy Hollis, etc and the entire GRM staff post as their own names.

This screen name change is as easy clicking on your avatar and the choosing "update your profile". When you change your screen name, you will not loose your dork status.
Or, start an entirely new profile if you wish to have a professional profile and a personal profile.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 7:31 a.m.

If your lifelong dream has been to write articles for slobs like us, you need to aim higher. I'm kidding, I'm kidding!! Congrats!!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
2/24/17 7:39 a.m.

I have heeded my own advice. Not for the same reason but rather it seemed like a good time for progression.

A million years ago, I signed on a jrw1621. It was a common "web handle" for me which was made up of initial and address numbers.
Upon returning from my first Challenge, I added my first name but wanted to be evolutionary so I went with JohnRW1621.
The reason for the change after the Challenge was that I realized that people could sort of know who you were but not known you well enough to actually address you and this seemed to result in less people speaking with you. To me it seemed like a needed progression if I was going to transition this grm thing from a digital existence to a physical existence.

Today, it seems proper for me to progress to a last name. This also seems to line up with the dominant FB world of using full name.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
2/24/17 8:18 a.m.

I have the magazine but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I will definitely read that article!

To me this is super cool on two levels. First- of course- you are living a dream! And second, the people that make this magazine do listen to us and recognize those that have a gift and give them a chance.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
2/24/17 8:19 a.m.
JohnWelsh wrote: I have heeded my own advice. Not for the same reason but rather it seemed like a good time for progression. A million years ago, I signed on a jrw1621. It was a common "web handle" for me which was made up of initial and address numbers. Upon returning from my first Challenge, I added my full name but wanted to be evolutionary so I went with Johnrw1621. The reason for the change after the Challenge was that I realized that people could know sort of who you were but not known you well enough to actually address you and this seemed to result in less people speaking with you. To me it seemed like a needed progression if I was going to transition this grm thing from a digital existence to a physical existence. Today, it seems proper for me to progress to a last name. This also seems to line up with the dominant FB world of using full name.

For better or for worse, I changed my name on here. Good call.

JohnWelsh
JohnWelsh MegaDork
2/24/17 8:26 a.m.

The addition of "formerly know..." in your signature line was a good call.
Now, I would recommend keeping the same avatar for a good while so the change is not too wholesale since some people will still recognize the photo.

PS: my degree was in marketing, not history.

sockpuppet
sockpuppet New Reader
2/24/17 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito:

Hey, are you the guy who wrote that article about the cool BMW/Honda car?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/24/17 8:40 a.m.

Congratulations!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/17 8:57 a.m.

Yep, it was totally cool working with Tony. How cool? You'll see more stories from him in future issues. Most of us on staff started as fans--me, JG, Ed. Sometimes the stars align and preparation meets opportunity.

I didn't know that Tony was a history major. I minored in American history (and also had a minor in criminal justice).

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/17 9:13 a.m.

In reply to JohnWelsh :

I too changed my SN on here from 'rcutclif' to 'Robbie' after my first challenge.

Names are hard enough when everyone only has one...

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
2/24/17 9:48 a.m.

Tony helped me bring these pictures to life last year as he "wordsmithed" up my photos.
Sleeper Caprice at Drag Week

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
2/24/17 10:03 a.m.

One side thing I have enjoyed about GRM articles is the character of the writer often comes through and makes for interesting reading. You have called this unique voices in writing. This is the only publication where as I read a piece I often flip back to see who the author was. I recognize several of the author’s styles now and have some favorites that I enjoy greatly. When I read the S2002 article I went back to see what “voice” I was reading and didn’t recognize the name, but liked it. Well done and congrats on being in there.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
2/24/17 10:08 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: Tony helped me bring these pictures to life last year as he "wordsmithed" up my photos. Sleeper Caprice at Drag Week

I love that thing, and I still see that article pop up from time to time in discussion on some of the FB groups I belong to, and not for the writing. Thanks for snapping those!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/24/17 10:20 a.m.

Attaboy.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
2/24/17 12:00 p.m.
sockpuppet wrote: In reply to Tony Sestito: Hey, are you the guy who wrote that article about the cool BMW/Honda car?

Yup, that would be me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pyj6de78pdzVdYH3EaBfeACUsZEfZdGwdy0RUJetumewxVbMN6vE0nQ0FDxCDYlv