1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/26/17 8:14 a.m.

What tools do you take with you? I have to install seat belts, so obviously I will need for that. Since it's a '78 Chevy, I'm figuring a full range of SAE wrenches, flat and phillips screw drivers, sleeve of sockets, spark plug socket and ratchet. Anyone have issues with tools getting stolen?

I'd like to bring the electric impact, but I'd rather carry it on. Any issues there with that? You know, it is "gun" shaped and with the condition of "help" the TSA employs I'd hate to have that confiscated for whatever reason they deem.

wae
wae Dork
2/26/17 8:27 a.m.

I'm not equipped with any personal experience in the matter, but I did find this handy chart:

https://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php

It appears that wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers under 7" in length are okay in carry-on, but power drills are not. My guess is that the TSA would classify an electric impact as a power drill because gubmintforthechildrenterroristsnineeleven.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/26/17 8:28 a.m.

I've flown with tools several times for work, but it's only been hand tools. I usually put them in my suitcase and check the bag. Never had an issue that way. The couple times that I carried them on, I was always stopped at the X-ray machine for a closer look.

Unfortunately I've not taken any power tools, so no advice there.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/17 8:30 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-to-bring-on-1000-mile-road-trip-with-a-truck-/98435/page1/

Some helpful answers there. Zip ties and extra hose clamps were great. Don't forget the small 1/4" and similar sizes in case you have to take apart interior trim like I did. A cigarette lighter adapter with 3 outlets and USB is great, along with a GPS. Smart phone is also a life saver.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/26/17 8:35 a.m.

I've never brought tools. I want to do a fly and drive, not a fly fix drive and pray I make it home.
That being said, my FNDs are always cheap. I've done 6 FNDs, my last was a $900 car.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/26/17 8:37 a.m.

The closest I've come to a fly-n-drive was going out to Michigan to buy my '79 Spitfire from fujioko/Doc Brown. That was more of a "drive-n-drive" as a friend went with me and drove my minivan the 600+ miles home. Tools? Not sure I took any, although I have a tool kit for my GT6, so I might have put that in the van. Either way, I have a AAA card. Granted, I was going on the assumption Jim wouldn't sell me a turd (and he didn't).

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
2/26/17 8:45 a.m.

Credit card, cell phone, aaa card. Did buy jumper cables during one trip where I had an overheating alternator. A lot of cars have tool kits.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/26/17 8:55 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: I've never brought tools. I want to do a fly and drive, not a fly fix drive and pray I make it home. That being said, my FNDs are always cheap. I've done 6 FNDs, my last was a $900 car.

I wish I could say it was that cheap, but alas, its not. I know it's a solid example and runs and drives, but it is 40 years old, so I'm trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I also thought I should bring my small jump pack. I'm checking the tools underneath so no worries about long screwdrivers at the TSA checkpoint.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/26/17 9:25 a.m.

What is most likely to go wrong that you will legitimately be able to do a road side fix on?

Look up how-to's online for the specific vehicle and then bring the tools you'll need for that.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
2/26/17 9:35 a.m.

A checked in bag of tools can add up in weight very quickly. If you're going to get charged for an overweight bag then it may just be cheaper to hit up harbor freight in AZ. Buy the budget SAE socket set and bring this month's coupon for a free screwdriver set.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/26/17 10:37 a.m.

I just did a 1000 mile fly n drive sans tools.

I was planning to hit harbor freight to buy a cheap kit, but flight delay put me in after they closed.

I would also focus on roadside fixes. Things you could actually do. You're not changing a rear axle on the side of the highway, or a timing chain.

Stuff you can do:

• Electrical repairs
  • belts, filters, maybe alternator or dizzy
  • add fluids
  • flat tire stuff
  • hose repairs (including vacuum line).

With that in mind, it really focuses the list of tools you might need.

I will also add that I have checked a 50lb suitcase of tools before and it worked fine.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/26/17 11:02 a.m.

The last FnD I helped orchestrate didn't require any tools, although I can tell you that an R129 500SL with an aftermarket exhaust sounds great echoing off the buildings in Vancouver. In terms of an impact wrench, if it's corded and you have the sockets to show that it isn't a drill, it should fall under small appliances like alarm clocks, although I'm not too sure regarding south of the border.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/27/17 11:43 a.m.

No need to pack zip-ties, duct tape and other small items. As a previous poster said--- head to a HF, or AutoZone when you land, and purchase the cheap stuff you may need.

I'd also buy a roll or two of this:

DEI Quick Fix tape

This tape bonds to itself, so it's perfect for fixing hoses, or CV boots that have torn. I always have a roll in my glovebox. I'd also bring a crappy old blanket, steel wire, and a cheap flashlight. Old car / truck exhausts like to fail at very inopportune moments, and laying on the wet/ cold ground isn't much fun.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
2/27/17 11:50 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: What tools do you take with you? I have to install seat belts, so obviously I will need for that. Since it's a '78 Chevy, I'm figuring a full range of SAE wrenches, flat and phillips screw drivers, sleeve of sockets, spark plug socket and ratchet. Anyone have issues with tools getting stolen? I'd like to bring the electric impact, but I'd rather carry it on. Any issues there with that? You know, it is "gun" shaped and with the condition of "help" the TSA employs I'd hate to have that confiscated for whatever reason they deem.

Whilst planning an aborted trip two weeks ago I had come to the notion that I would ship my gear to a UPS or FedEx store nearest the location and retrieve it with an Uber from the airport to avoid the bag check, TSA problem, and lugging bulky stuff around with me like a helmet and boots. It was going to be around $80-100 shipping for me to walk on the plane empty handed except for a wallet and a book.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/27/17 11:53 a.m.

Last night I packed up a bag of goodies. wrenches, ratchet, few common sockets, screw drivers and a hammer. Also had a box of fuses from the C4, so those went in as well. small jump pack, 2 flashlghts and the seat belt/ harnesses and bolts. All told, 46lbs with the hard sided suitcase I'm putting them in.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/17 3:44 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: No need to pack zip-ties, duct tape and other small items. As a previous poster said--- head to a HF, or AutoZone when you land, and purchase the cheap stuff you may need. I'd also buy a roll or two of this: DEI Quick Fix tape This tape bonds to itself, so it's perfect for fixing hoses, or CV boots that have torn. I always have a roll in my glovebox. I'd also bring a crappy old blanket, steel wire, and a cheap flashlight. Old car / truck exhausts like to fail at very inopportune moments, and laying on the wet/ cold ground isn't much fun.

I got a sample of that tape, or at least a very similar product, through work a while back and thought to myself "This is going to be one of those things I clean out of my glove box in 5 years and wonder why I ever put it in there." But I put it in the glove box anyways because I'm a pack rat.

Well, lo and behold, it ended up saving the day a few months back when my Jeep started pissing coolant all over downtown Harrisburg one day. Didn't totally stop the pin hole leak in the upper radiator hose, but it did slow it down enough to get me home. So, I'll second this suggestion.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
2/27/17 7:00 p.m.

Stupid suggestion - head to a nationwide chain store near your pickup (walmart, etc) and buy one of the 99pcs tool kit. Use or don't use it, return it when you get home.

No need to worry about the throwers or TSA monkeys liking your Snap On tools, or leaving them on the side of the road, or having them stolen, etc etc. Since fuses are small, light, and ungodly expensive, a few of those would be nice to have but not really necessary, can always pull fuses for radio, power windows, etc. Modern cars have a lot of duplicate fuses.

Only thing I would do is pick up some consumables like engine and trans fluid, check before you leave, monitor on the way, since you dont know the history.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/27/17 7:22 p.m.

It's an old truck, if it can't be fixed with a hammer, pair of channel locks, pair of vise grips, screwdriver set, and a cheap SAE wrench set it's probably not a repair one can feasibly perform in a parking lot. Check the tire pressures, all the fluid levels, and make sure the front wheel bearings aren't getting hot.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
2/28/17 10:17 a.m.

I vote to get some cheap, essential tools somewhere after you arrive. Skip the hassle of dealing with the TSA and hoping your stuff makes it through. Even if you check a bag, it could get lost along the way, and that would suck. Find a HF, auto parts store, or a 24hr Wally World nearby and get what you need.

Even better: if you know someone that lives near the vehicle, send them to get what you need in advance!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/28/17 10:20 a.m.

Since I have 2 days I'm considering changing the oil before leaving.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/28/17 10:21 a.m.

Funny how many of us who live really close to a H-F quickly suggest that. When I lived in Portsmouth, NH the closest H-F was about an hour away in MA.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/28/17 10:23 a.m.

For my 3k+ mile fly-n-drive, I just went to a wal-mart and spent $60 on a socket set, screwdriver with interchangeable bits, wrench set and pliers. I ended up using some of it to swap parts and save some cargo space, but I didn't end up needing any of it - that said it was cheap insurance.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/28/17 12:25 p.m.

a fully charged smartphone.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/17 12:31 p.m.

Bah. 4 way, 2 spare tires, phone, duct tape, zipties, done. You have 2 days, inspect rubber items and replace before leaving as necessary.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/28/17 12:36 p.m.

I agree with folks telling you to buy stuff at HF or Costco or similar. That way if you end up not needing it you can return it when you get home.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OVv376uDzsHkLHRXicDM9A05wtc6OJvMshMDKh5xK7gHOF7lnwyTtYdJLCkXGT9C