1 2 3
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/7/18 6:12 a.m.

Just paid the grading guys a bunch of money to try to fix some erosion issues down by the creek.

Basically, there’s a huge hill that water is rushing down, creating a massive gulch down on the “beach.”

They filled the gulch, sloped it toward the ditch, and cut a big ditch at the bottom of the big hill to slow/divert water away from the “beach.” 

See pics (big hill, beach 1, beach 2.)

Here’s the rub: We’re supposed to get like 3 freakin inches of rain tomorrow/sunday.

I plan on closing up early and hitting the landscaping supply place to put *something* down tonight.

Ideally (eventually) I’ll do the big ass rolls of seeded “grid” stuff, but right now, I don’t have a good way to get it there.

I’m seeing “erosion control blankets” online. Is this a good temporary fix? Add silt-fence for bonus points?

HAAAAALP!

poopshovel again
12/7/18 6:21 a.m.

PS: Grading guys recommended hay-bails, but I don’t see how that’s gonna do berkeley-all. Also, I’m heading to landscaping place at 8:00 to see if they have any thoughts.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/7/18 6:25 a.m.

A swale where the runoff collects is an easy option. Just shunt the water to a side. 

It works best on a driveway where you can't put hay. 

Otherwise hay is used to redirect or slow the water in open areas.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/18 6:52 a.m.

Hay bales work pretty well by slowing down the runoff. 

They also sell this stuff that you can stake in place.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/7/18 7:29 a.m.

Have a lot to say but short answer is hay. It works.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/18 8:05 a.m.

Long term: riprap.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/7/18 8:51 a.m.

Pave it.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
12/7/18 9:46 a.m.

Short term- Grass mat. What Airstream is that? I'm restoring a '73 Safari 2 axel at the moment.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
12/7/18 10:58 a.m.

Plastic sheet and some sand bags or bricks to hold it down.

Cheap, fast to spread, and will keep the ground dry aside from the little runoff coming from up the hill. Use a straw bale or three to slow the water coming from up the hill.

Runoff mitigation is all about slowing the water.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/7/18 3:25 p.m.

That will take a couple hundred bales to cross that area 3 times , Don't know which Side of the creek you are on but look at some Big farm Shed , go to the farmer and get a couple ROLLS and kinda just un roll it, the old rolls are getting spoiled for  the cattle and they may give em away, And Deliver them.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/7/18 3:31 p.m.

IF that's TALKING ROCK CREEK go to HINTON Mills  STORE AT 53 AND 136 CONNECTOR. If you are off  BigRidge I may get you some from Elk Overlook. Jay Bird

poopshovel again
12/8/18 6:39 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

It’s a 75(?) Ambassador 29.5’

As luck would have it, dude I sold it to decided he wanted to pick it up last night...sooooo...I didn’t start spreading seed till like 6:00. 

Local landscape guys were awesome. Delivered a few rolls of the erosion mat stuff yesterday morning. I finished up around 8:30 by the light of the disco.

Funny: I got a little spooked when I heard some coyotes way off in the distance, but what scared the living E36 M3 out of me was a fish grabbing a meal while I was staking next to the creek cheeky Almost ran over a deer on my way out. The disco needs KC’s

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/8/18 6:49 a.m.

Well if you need a Hand I will Come Help, 404 five three six 8 7 two oh, john  

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
12/8/18 7:54 a.m.

That will do a lot to hold it. When you start mowing it next spring the nylon mesh can be a bit of a pain.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/18 8:14 a.m.

Disco lights are not as I pictured them.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

As stated, the Disco needs KCs

I guess Poopy wants them because.. 

That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh
He likes it, uh-huh, uh-huh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/18 9:42 a.m.

If you don't like the turn this thread has taken, the Bee Gees are showing you which way to go back.

poopshovel again
12/8/18 12:45 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Wally :

There was a disturbingly large nazi punk population in South Florida when I was playing in punk bands in the 90’s. One night after a show, a pile of them was stumbling through the parking lot, and my buddies and I started singing “That’s the way - sieg heil sieg heil - I like it....” A brawl ensued.

poopshovel again
12/8/18 12:52 p.m.
NermalSnert said:

That will do a lot to hold it. When you start mowing it next spring the nylon mesh can be a bit of a pain.

I figure I’ll just yank it up(?) But yeah, I can see how it’d be a mess. The rolls are 112’ long, and it was a 60’ shot from top to bottom, so I figured I could roll it top-to-bottom, cut it, and have enough on the second row where I could just lay some loose wheat straw in the gap at the bottom. Pain in the ass to cut...and once cut, unrolling the remainder of the roll was a E36 M3-show. I ended up using full rolls on the rest, and using the remaining half rolls as little tube-berm things like toyman posted.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/18 4:09 p.m.

I am envious of your creek.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
12/8/18 4:24 p.m.

Yea, that creek is nice!

poopshovel again
12/8/18 5:11 p.m.
NermalSnert said:

Yea, that creek is nice!

“They” call it a creek. It’s more river-ish. Can’t wait to throw the kayak in.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/18 11:14 p.m.

If you heard the fish feeding, you should've thrown a line in.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/8/18 11:21 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I don’t think you are gonna pull up that mesh in the Spring. It will be embedded in the grass and growth. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/18 11:29 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to Wally :

There was a disturbingly large nazi punk population in South Florida when I was playing in punk bands in the 90’s. One night after a show, a pile of them was stumbling through the parking lot, and my buddies and I started singing “That’s the way - sieg heil sieg heil - I like it....” A brawl ensued.

Nazis deserve whatever comes to them. You are now, and will forever be, my hero.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Tc1CIn1MUlqIJinW3oZw3ZjIMYkCZKL7T3CepWvdGRpxDcJe4tVkyD8dyDEyuEc