1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/16/10 2:55 p.m.

So, getting ready to start amateur racing, I'm thinking of starting a race "team" to maybe defer some costs and generally feel cool. Probably build a simple website and use it for asking local businesses and such for some sponsorship. So, I'm trying to come up with a good name.

There's the obvious "[My Name] Racing". It's fairly professional, but I think it's a bit presumptuous and not very memorable.

I've had the idea of "Bourbon Ballroom Racing" for a while; with the motto "Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot". Fun and memorable. I generally like it. But I worry that maybe it isn't professional or serious enough to convince people to give money or goods to. It's also a long name.

I've also thought of "Hep Kat Racing" (my friends refer to me as the Hep Kat) or HK Racing. Which seems like a good halfway between the two.

I do think I'll talk to some business owners I know and am friends with to see what they think of the different names.

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/16/10 2:59 p.m.

My family collects antique steam traction engines, so I always thought "Balls Out Racing" would be a good name. Most people can't make the connection, though, and I don't want everybody thinking my race team name has anything to do woth testicles.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/16/10 3:01 p.m.

There is already a "Balls Out Racing" in the area. I wouldn't make the connection with anything other than testicles...

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
1/16/10 5:31 p.m.

All of my cars in Forza 1 and 2 bear the logo for Red Mist Racing. You can use that! It's short, easy to remember, and innately funny at the same time.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/16/10 5:47 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: All of my cars in Forza 1 and 2 bear the logo for Red Mist Racing. You can use that! It's short, easy to remember, and innately funny at the same time.

LOL!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/10 7:09 p.m.

Team naming requires a team. I am my team which allows me to name it.

Wait until you get the crew together then work from there.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/16/10 7:41 p.m.

The Hep Kat one is good because its personal.

Although others have used it I became Misfit Toys Racing long ago only because I would always show up to SCCA events with oddball cars and someone once said that I sure had a bunch of Misfit Toys. It just stuck after that.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/10 7:46 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Team naming requires a team. I am my team which allows me to name it. Wait until you get the crew together then work from there.

+1 and sometimes the name will be bestowed upon you by others. We were Team Hangover, as it was assumed wrongly that with as much alcohol and as little sleep as we had we must have hangovers all the time.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/16/10 7:49 p.m.

Naming organically. I like it.

Looks like my crew is going to be my girlfriend. So far, Bourbon Ballroom is her favorite. That did spawn from my love of fine alcohol and social dancing (drinking whiskey while out dancing tango... I just added the foxtrot in for the joke).

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/10 7:56 p.m.

Pics would help determime if it fits.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/10 10:20 p.m.

I must be drunk, I swear you asked for pics of his tits.

RicHerber
RicHerber None
1/16/10 10:37 p.m.
Kramer wrote: My family collects antique steam traction engines, so I always thought "Balls Out Racing" would be a good name. Most people can't make the connection, though, and I don't want everybody thinking my race team name has anything to do woth testicles.

I've always liked "Balls Out and Belly to the Ground Racing". I heard that name over 30 years ago and have liked it ever since.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/17/10 9:04 a.m.

Meat Tray Racing

I think you can take the same approach as if you were naming a band, and just add "Racing" to the end.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
1/17/10 10:40 a.m.

Perennial Disappointment Racing.

The name would fit any team I was on.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/17/10 12:23 p.m.

S.G.S. Motorsports.

Stuff Gonna 'Splode, I've always liked that one.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
1/17/10 4:59 p.m.

I was gifted with a last name that is appropriate...Swift

When I started racing slot cars I used "Swift Racing" because I raced different classes at different tracks, then when I moved up to real race cars, I kept it. it works.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/17/10 5:13 p.m.

"busy and broke" we are always too busy or too broke to go racing :(

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/17/10 6:06 p.m.

our impending Lemons effort is aptly named "Scuderia Limonata"

jezzicaz789
jezzicaz789
1/18/10 10:54 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
1/18/10 11:19 a.m.

Canoe?

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
1/18/10 11:23 a.m.

You guys know that "balls out" never, ever has anything to do with testicles, right?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/10 11:25 a.m.

I like "Balls Out Steam Punk Adventure Racing Team"

And who the hell races with their balls out anyway? That's gotta slow ya down. (Yes, I do know the origin of the term as it relates to steam engine speed)

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
1/18/10 11:33 a.m.

the "DeVry University Auto Shop Class of 1998 Reunion Race Team"?

i dont even know where i got this from...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
1/18/10 12:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: And who the hell races with their balls out anyway?

When I met David Pearson back in '70, he had a Dymo label across his #17 car's steering wheel that read "Balls make the diffference"

Seemed to work OK for him..

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
1/18/10 4:20 p.m.

"Insert name racing" because the running joke would be who is going to sponpsor you....

my team name is Otaku racing...which seems to fit being the obbsive fan of cars that i have become since i picked up a copy of grm.....

drugs would have been so much chaper though...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZwJYeQceyk49ajj1PWVdzl5nVPbKG1zN2gchTugqS5V2l981j9OgabYJ5NezuuB