Salanis SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 2:55 p.m.

So, getting ready to start amateur racing, I'm thinking of starting a race "team" to maybe defer some costs and generally feel cool. Probably build a simple website and use it for asking local businesses and such for some sponsorship. So, I'm trying to come up with a good name.

There's the obvious "[My Name] Racing". It's fairly professional, but I think it's a bit presumptuous and not very memorable.

I've had the idea of "Bourbon Ballroom Racing" for a while; with the motto "Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot". Fun and memorable. I generally like it. But I worry that maybe it isn't professional or serious enough to convince people to give money or goods to. It's also a long name.

I've also thought of "Hep Kat Racing" (my friends refer to me as the Hep Kat) or HK Racing. Which seems like a good halfway between the two.

I do think I'll talk to some business owners I know and am friends with to see what they think of the different names.

Kramer HalfDork
Jan. 16, 2010 2:59 p.m.

My family collects antique steam traction engines, so I always thought "Balls Out Racing" would be a good name. Most people can't make the connection, though, and I don't want everybody thinking my race team name has anything to do woth testicles.

Salanis SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 3:01 p.m.

There is already a "Balls Out Racing" in the area. I wouldn't make the connection with anything other than testicles...

confuZion3 SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 5:31 p.m.

All of my cars in Forza 1 and 2 bear the logo for Red Mist Racing. You can use that! It's short, easy to remember, and innately funny at the same time.

Salanis SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 5:47 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: All of my cars in Forza 1 and 2 bear the logo for Red Mist Racing. You can use that! It's short, easy to remember, and innately funny at the same time.

LOL!

John Brown SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 7:09 p.m.

Team naming requires a team. I am my team which allows me to name it.

Wait until you get the crew together then work from there.

JThw8 SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 7:41 p.m.

The Hep Kat one is good because its personal.

Although others have used it I became Misfit Toys Racing long ago only because I would always show up to SCCA events with oddball cars and someone once said that I sure had a bunch of Misfit Toys. It just stuck after that.

Wally SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 7:46 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Team naming requires a team. I am my team which allows me to name it. Wait until you get the crew together then work from there.

+1 and sometimes the name will be bestowed upon you by others. We were Team Hangover, as it was assumed wrongly that with as much alcohol and as little sleep as we had we must have hangovers all the time.

Salanis SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 7:49 p.m.

Naming organically. I like it.

Looks like my crew is going to be my girlfriend. So far, Bourbon Ballroom is her favorite. That did spawn from my love of fine alcohol and social dancing (drinking whiskey while out dancing tango... I just added the foxtrot in for the joke).

Wally SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 7:56 p.m.

Pics would help determime if it fits.

John Brown SuperDork
Jan. 16, 2010 10:20 p.m.

I must be drunk, I swear you asked for pics of his tits.

RicHerber
RicHerber None
Jan. 16, 2010 10:37 p.m.
Kramer wrote: My family collects antique steam traction engines, so I always thought "Balls Out Racing" would be a good name. Most people can't make the connection, though, and I don't want everybody thinking my race team name has anything to do woth testicles.

I've always liked "Balls Out and Belly to the Ground Racing". I heard that name over 30 years ago and have liked it ever since.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Meat Tray Racing

I think you can take the same approach as if you were naming a band, and just add "Racing" to the end.

Osterkraut Dork
Jan. 17, 2010 10:40 a.m.

Perennial Disappointment Racing.

The name would fit any team I was on.

The_Jed Reader
Jan. 17, 2010 12:23 p.m.

S.G.S. Motorsports.

Stuff Gonna 'Splode, I've always liked that one.

hotrodlarry Reader
Jan. 17, 2010 4:59 p.m.

I was gifted with a last name that is appropriate...Swift

When I started racing slot cars I used "Swift Racing" because I raced different classes at different tracks, then when I moved up to real race cars, I kept it. it works.

EricM Dork
Jan. 17, 2010 5:13 p.m.

"busy and broke" we are always too busy or too broke to go racing :(

maroon92 SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2010 6:06 p.m.

our impending Lemons effort is aptly named "Scuderia Limonata"

jezzicaz789
Jan. 18, 2010 10:54 a.m.
Salanis wrote: So, getting ready to start amateur racing, I'm thinking of starting a race "team" to maybe defer some costs and generally feel cool. Probably build a simple website and use it for asking local businesses and such for some sponsorship. So, I'm trying to come up with a good name. There's the obvious "[My Name] Racing". It's fairly professional, but I think it's a bit presumptuous and not very memorable. I've had the idea of "Bourbon Ballroom Racing" for a while; with the motto "Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot". Fun and memorable. I generally like it. But I worry that maybe it isn't professional or serious enough to convince people to give money or goods to. It's also a long name. I've also thought of "Hep Kat Racing" (my friends refer to me as the Hep Kat) or HK Racing. Which seems like a good halfway between the two. I do think I'll talk to some business owners I know and am friends with to see what they think of the different names.

Thanks you for the post. Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.


Watch Legion Movie Online Free

Jan. 18, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Canoe?

tuna55 HalfDork
Jan. 18, 2010 11:23 a.m.

You guys know that "balls out" never, ever has anything to do with testicles, right?

EastCoastMojo SuperDork
Jan. 18, 2010 11:25 a.m.

I like "Balls Out Steam Punk Adventure Racing Team"

And who the hell races with their balls out anyway? That's gotta slow ya down. (Yes, I do know the origin of the term as it relates to steam engine speed)

Jan. 18, 2010 11:33 a.m.

the "DeVry University Auto Shop Class of 1998 Reunion Race Team"?

i dont even know where i got this from...

NYG95GA SuperDork
Jan. 18, 2010 12:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: And who the hell races with their balls out anyway?

When I met David Pearson back in '70, he had a Dymo label across his #17 car's steering wheel that read "Balls make the diffference"

Seemed to work OK for him..

ckosacranoid HalfDork
Jan. 18, 2010 4:20 p.m.

"Insert name racing" because the running joke would be who is going to sponpsor you....

my team name is Otaku racing...which seems to fit being the obbsive fan of cars that i have become since i picked up a copy of grm.....

drugs would have been so much chaper though...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Reader's Ride of the Week: Challenging 2002

4 hours ago in News

Rust? That's just nature's Loctite.

Win a Brand New 2016 Global Mazda MX-5 Cup Car

1 day ago in News

$100 supports the LeMons of Love charity and gives you the chance to win a new race car.

Absolute Velocity

4 days ago in Articles

Jerry Hoffmann puts his tuning skills to the test with a 200 mph land speed Nissan 240SX.

2016 BMW X1

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

We recently got a chance to spend some time with the BMW X1 xDrive28i. This is the newest, smallest and ...

Win a Trip to the Bridgestone Winter Driving School

5 days ago in News

We're sending two people on an extremely fun and educational trip.

Come hang with us at the SCCA Runoffs

5 days ago in News

We'll be at Mid-Ohio this weekend. Will you?

Learn Suspension Setup From Your Couch

6 days ago in News

Want to learn about suspension setup from a pro?

Rotary Miata Auction Coming Soon!

1 week ago in Project Cars

You could own this very cool car. All proceeds go to a good cause.

From the GRM Vault: Love Bugs

1 week ago in Articles

The ultimate battle Beetles.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Not Your Grandma's Studebaker

1 week ago in News

This might be the fastest Studebaker Lark you've ever seen.

Off-Roadster

1 week ago in Articles

A Miata that can handle anything, including some sweet jumps.

Hang With Us and the Millionth MX-5 This Weekend

1 week ago in News

The millionth Mazda MX-5 is coming to Daytona Beach this Saturday.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
VWT7D2AokUjMhUCOLMgJnfpPBkmsZs7K