1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/12 4:47 p.m.

A good read. It was in GRM a while back and I finally got around to reading it. I am about 2/3 the way though it and although it is not what I expected it is still a great book. I recommend it!

Comments to date are:

Who ever wrote it definitely knows dogs!!

If you have a dog you have to read it!!! You will look at your dog completely different when you are done. I now talk to my dog more.

And for those that have read it: From now on I will always respond with two barks

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
3/5/12 5:31 p.m.

I laughed and I cried when I read it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/12 5:45 p.m.

Garth is going to be at the big Miata event at Laguna Seca at the end of March. My wife is really looking forward to meeting him

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/5/12 5:55 p.m.

I got my wife to read the book and also got the Library to pull it out of an obscure section and put it out with a note that it was a dog story. Got checked out a lot then.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/5/12 6:41 p.m.

I've recommended it to many people. My wife read it and liked it, but told me later she had to skip over some of the racing stuff.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
3/5/12 10:22 p.m.

There was racing stuff in it? Missed that....

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/5/12 10:37 p.m.

I liked it, but wondered what in hell he ever saw in his wife...

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
3/5/12 10:39 p.m.

I've been deciding whether or not to get this book...I'm about to purchase it on Amazon. What am I in for?

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/5/12 10:43 p.m.

Oh, definitely get it. Great read, how could it not be? It's got racing... and dogs

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
3/5/12 10:47 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Oh, definitely get it. Great read, how could it not be? It's got racing... and dogs

Sold. Ordering now!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/12 11:35 p.m.

I absolutely and totally LOVED it when I read it... I loved it again the 2nd and 3rd times I read it too! I'd love to read it a 4th time, if only I didn't have the mysterious ability to loose pieces of fine literature about halfway through a read...

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/12 6:02 a.m.

It hit home in more ways than one for me, since my Mom had the same thing as the wife in the book (I won't spoil anything). Her dogs were constantly by her side and looking back they knew what we didn't. I did not expect that. I'm not a big book reader and I couldn't put the book down.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/6/12 6:04 a.m.

I read it. I loved it. I reported it here. Got as many people hating it as liking it. Must be me....

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/6/12 6:24 a.m.

I got a signed copy from Garth at the 24 and enjoyed the read, my wife couldn't get past the beginning due to the sadness there, she is a huge animal welfare supporter.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
3/6/12 6:45 a.m.

I loved it, borrowed my friend's signed copy, hows that for an endorsment he loved the book so much he would lend out his signed copy so you would read it. I bought my own copy afterwards and everyone I lent it to loved it. I have heard some people say they didn't like it, but never why they didn't just that they didn't.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/6/12 7:12 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: You will look at your dog completely different when you are done.

At the end, you'll look at everything differently.

dean1484
4/8/12 11:16 a.m.

Well finally got a moment to finish it.

I highly recommend it. It hit home in so many ways. One of the things that it does really well is take some of the points from racing (driving in particular) and apply it to life. I have tried to convey this to others but it never came out right. This book hits a home run in this department. It has enough racing in it but it is not the overwhelming theme of the book. It also touches on so many other parts of life. I doubt there is a person out there that will not see some part of there life in the book. This may be why some people don't like it. It may hit them a bit to close to home.

Great read. Yes as you get to the end it is a bit sad but the final chapter brings it full circle. I almost dropped the book when I found out the little boys name. Looking at it now I should have seen it coming but for some reason It caught me off guard and makes everything rite

I give this book a resounding "two barks"

dean1484
4/8/12 11:24 a.m.

I actually thought of TurboDog as I was reading this book.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
4/8/12 11:33 a.m.

I just ordered it for my Kindle. I am saving it for while Im overseas.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/12 8:01 p.m.

Great book!

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
4/8/12 8:07 p.m.

Outstanding book. Everyone I've loaned it to has loved it. My uncle said 'it's the best book I've ever read, but I never want to read another like it'. It's powerful.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/12 8:08 p.m.

own it

fastmiata
fastmiata HalfDork
4/8/12 9:10 p.m.

First and last chapters are tough to take if you have recently lost a dog(or two). My reaction was so emotional that my wife wouldnt read it at first. Both dogs and seeing what a racer will do to do well in racing was a bit much for her.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/8/12 9:25 p.m.

Great book. The dysfunctional family dynamics are every bit as powerful as the racing scenes.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
4/8/12 9:48 p.m.

One of the things that hit home for me is the E36 M3ty In-laws. Because their actions in the book are similar to how my Dad's family treats my wife.

Great story though. I really hope they do make the movie.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jfg7WD30Al9BAV6lCtdhzAVzMiXO5IbtUTunNdz6LcK05J9T2IWQTy85bdshmplS