1 2 3 4
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/12/17 11:51 a.m.

I've worn one since i was a kid and had my first hand-me-down from my dad, possibly single digit age.  Probably 8 week boot camp being the only length of time without.  Today I feel weird if my watch dies on me for some reason...

So, watch or no?  Cell phones might have helped sway your opinion.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/17 11:58 a.m.

I haven't worn a watch since my last one died unless I'm going somewhere fancy. So probably 12 years now. 

Mostly, yes, I'm paying an arm and a leg every month for a cellphone that's always in my hands or pocket, it better be able to tell me what time it is. 

I do have a decent looking Citizens I keep that matches my suit for weddings/funerals/court/whatever else I need to get dressed up for though just because I think it completes the outfit. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/17 11:59 a.m.

I haven't worn a watch in at least 10 years.  The only thing I miss is catching it on and/or whacking it against everything... oh, wait.

And I used to wear pretty low-profile, smallish mens' watches compared to the stainless steel ankle weights I see some guys inexplicably strap to their wrists.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/17 11:59 a.m.

Yes.

I wear a Casio DataBank calculator watch with phone number and reminder. I'm on my... Nth one. The bands tend to break at rock shows, though it's been a few years since I had that particular issue.

Strangely, they brought out a revised version a couple of years ago, but it's mostly a downgrade. I suppose calculator watches are a pretty niche thing at this point, and I suppose the little light in the corner of the screen is cheaper than the Indiglo. Bummer.

I don't really use the phone number storage, but I do use the calculator rather than fishing for my phone pretty regularly. I do occasionally use the phone number storage for things like the door code at the gym or something like that.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/17 12:02 p.m.

I always wear a watch when I am at work. It keeps me from getting distracted by things like the other stuff my phone can do. Plus, if you really need it it can be used for quite a few other tasks (compass, screwdriver, etc).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/12/17 12:06 p.m.

Watch.  I do take it off when I get home.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/12/17 12:08 p.m.

Watch.   Put it on when I dress in the morning.  Take it off as I am going to bed.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/12/17 12:09 p.m.

I used to wear a watch, but then I noticed that whenever I'd go on vacation, I'd take it off.   One day I decided not to wear it anymore= permanent vacation!   Well sort of......still have the time on my phone everywhere  I go.  

I'm not a jewelry guy.  I don't wear rings, necklaces, or ear-rings either.   About the only time I'll wear a watch is when I head to Monterey for "Car Week".  There are so many big-wigs out there, and it's funny.  The rich guys sit down at a table and immediately check out each other's watches.....it's kind of a pecking order.  (sure he has a $10K watch....but mine is $30K)  During this time I break out the Mickey Mouse watch my grandmother gave me when I was 6 or so.   I figure I can't swim in the rich-guy pool, so I'll poke a little fun at it.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 12:13 p.m.

Joe, that's when I bust out the weird Russian ones. Mickey is a good option for sure.

I wear a watch every day. Checking the time takes about a second and is subtle, unlike dragging out a phone. I tend to wear chronographs because I legitimately find myself timing things on a regular basis.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
10/12/17 12:13 p.m.

Last time I wore a watch was probably 1989. Then I found pocket watches which are much better for a person who's hands are always dirty? When I got a cell phone the pocket watch was retired

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 12:15 p.m.

No. I have kid-sized wrists, almost every adult male watch body is wider than my wrist.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/12/17 12:17 p.m.

No watch. Last wore one as a young teen when my brother gave me a cool watch for my birthday. When that broke, no more watch. That was about 25 years ago!

WilD
WilD Dork
10/12/17 12:18 p.m.

Watch.  I guess it is mostly my nod to jewelry other than my wedding band, but I am really only drawn to somewhat anachronistic fully mecahnical watches.  I have several realtively cheap ones ($50-$300), so nothing too fancy.  I like their tiny mechanisms.  Incidentally, my current daily watch is a Seiko 5 that I bought after someone mentioned the model here.  It has been running a smidge fast, but it has a day and date complication that I like.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/12/17 12:21 p.m.

Watch, pretty much every day. Super useful when I'm attempting to time something or to keep myself on track.

I wear Canadian microbrand divers which drives the "watch as a statement of position or weath" guys nuts because they can't figure out what they are but they won't ask.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 12:24 p.m.

I do, for the same reasons Keith does.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/12/17 12:26 p.m.

Watch.  Analog Timex with date.   I forget it once every few months and feel off for the day until I put it back on.  Have been wearing the same watch for 15 years and still like it a lot.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
10/12/17 12:30 p.m.

No watch.

Besides having a cell phone on me at all times now, I have to remove it at work anyway, so it didn't make sense to put it on in the morning.

I have a nice Movado Museum and a good Seiko sitting in a jewelry box with dead batteries currently.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/12/17 12:32 p.m.

Never have.

Finding the time has never been an issue, especially these days.  Watches are effectively jewelry now.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/17 12:43 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Watch.  I do take it off when I get home.

+1, exactly the same

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
10/12/17 12:44 p.m.

I bought a cheap  digital watch last year because my truck didn't have a clock in it and my phone died. Once the phone situation was resolved, I didn't wear the watch ever again. I'm reminded I have it when I'm home on my days off and the alarm goes off at 11 because I didn't even use it long enough to figure out how to fix that. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/12/17 12:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:I tend to wear chronographs because I legitimately find myself timing things on a regular basis.

Mine's a chronometer.  Says so right on it.  "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified."  Note that chronometers keep rate, not time.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/12/17 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I went thru 4-5 Databank watches myself between the Navy and after, especially for storing phone numbers and dates before cell phones became a thing.

Today I have the Samsugn Gear S2 SWMBO bought me for my b-day this year.  Really enjoying the notifications for texts and calls, I can leave the phone on silent and not miss anything.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/17 12:56 p.m.

Watches. Cheaper the better. Plastic is fantastic. Casio calculator watch? Count me in. Ninja Giaden LCD game watch? In a heart beat.

I'm now rocking a watch that transforms into Optimus Prime and one that turns into an F-15. 

I've worn them to weddings. Yes.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/12/17 12:58 p.m.

Haven't worn a watch since I accidentally left it in a car I traded in back in 2010.

All the watches I like, I don't feel like spending $300-500 for a fashion accessory.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
10/12/17 12:59 p.m.

Watch. I need all the help I can get with time management. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qGVaJSwe37nSU585ix0h7beso4D04uk33egsTj242W3g177OgQ9EO8t6n37jtWMx