1 2 3 4
D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/12/17 1:00 p.m.

I wear an automatic at all times. Only take it off for two reasons. I find an old school elegance in a fine mechanical timepiece. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/12/17 1:21 p.m.

I wore Casio Triple Sensors for years, don't feel the need anymore w/ time and apps on the smart phone. I really don't miss it.

The compass on the Casio did come in handy in the woods. 

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/12/17 1:24 p.m.

I wear one pretty regularly.  A cheap Casio digital most of the time, and a slightly less cheap Casio watch with hands for when I’m traveling for work or need to be dressed more formally.  

During the pre-smartphone cell phone era, I stopped wearing a watch, but it became less convenient to pull a smartphone out of my pocket to check the time, so I started wearing watches again.

Which reminds me, I have a vintage Star Wars watch I was meaning to show to you at some time.  I need to get a battery for it and see if it still works.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/12/17 1:30 p.m.

I can appreciate a cool watch, but I don't wear them.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/12/17 1:40 p.m.

As a machinist, I couldn't wear one running machines so I lost the habit; quite comfortable without the weight.  I went through quite a few pocket watches and found a Caravelle to be the thinnest, easiest to use; the Honda of pocket watches.

Oh yeah, cheap too.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
10/12/17 2:19 p.m.

I wear a watch.   Sometimes I forget my phone or leave it in the work van where it won't get crushed.  I'm also a fan of glancing at my wrist to get the time instead of digging in my pocket with potentially dirty hands.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/12/17 2:38 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :I last wore a watch in Vietnam  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/12/17 2:39 p.m.

Watch. Every work day and when we go out to dinner. I have about 6 different ones, mostly Citizen Eco Drive (solar powered, never needs batteries), Seiko automatics or Skagens 'cause they're so damn light. I tend to prefer a mens watch, and I don't care of they look huge on my small wrist, although none of my watches are anywhere near the brodozer sized watches that seem to be popular now. 

I like a nice watch, though none of mine are terribly pricy. I have thought about getting a fitbit but haven't because I know I'm not going to stop wearing my nice watches, and then I'll just be the goober wearing two watches. laugh

Random: I am the only right handed person I know that also wears my watch on my right wrist. I attribute this to being born a southpaw. When they beat that out of me I hadn't even started wearing watches yet, but later on when I did start wearing a watch I put it on my right without even thinking about it, and there it has stayed. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/12/17 2:46 p.m.

I wear one every day, just a cheap Fossil but I wouldn't be without it.  I didn't wear one for about 20 years, then about three years ago I started again.  Strange as it may seem I find it easier to glance at my wrist than pull my phone out of my pocket.  Jumping between cars it also feels easier to tilt my wrist than to look for the clock at times, probably not in reality, but it feels that way.  About 18 months ago I had to send it off for repair (I keep telling my wife I need more than one watch) and I was really lost for a couple of weeks.  I was amazed at how much I missed it. 

If I was irresponsible.  Let me correct that.  If I had a spouse who would allow my natural irresponsibility to shine through, I'd own a lot of jewelry, err sorry watches.  One day I'll get a vintage 1969 Rolex Oyster, silver with a black face.  Simple classic and not too flashy.  In the mean time I keep asking Santa for a Shinola, but she hasn't listened yet.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/12/17 2:56 p.m.

Something else. I think this may be age related as I have heard this before but I find it easier to glance at an analog watch face and my brain immediately knows the time as opposed to looking at a digital readout and having to read the time. one is unconscious one is a semi conscious act. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
10/12/17 2:58 p.m.

I'm definitely a watch guy. I have many. I always have a FitBit on my right wrist primarily as a quick check of my heart rate. It's surprisingly accurate at that task, usually within +/- 1  beat per minute. I've worn it since I had a scary episode with SVT a while ago. Annie bought it for me. I don't use it for checking the time though. For that I alternate among a variety of cheap and medium priced analog watches and chrono's on my left wrist. Cheapest is a Casio for $20 from Kohls on sale and with a coupon (Annie's coupon, not mine). I wear that when I'm working in the garage or in the yard. The most expensive is  a Christopher Ward (London) C70 Brooklands limited edition at about $750. I have two Christopher Ward watches, both chrono's, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a couple more. I like wearing something different/special on my left wrist. It sort of defines my personal style. Plus, at my local pub, I usually get "how many effen watches do you have anyway?"

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/12/17 3:01 p.m.

I wore a really nice Seiko watch for a long time. I still have it, but haven't worn it in probably close to 20 years now. Having a cell phone has made it redundant, and I can usually guess the time within a few minutes anyway.

It does look nice with a jacket or blazer though, so at this point it's just become jewelry

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/12/17 3:08 p.m.

I'm in the no-watch crowd.  I rot my day away in front of an array of three monitors, each have the windows clock in the lower corner.

Then I also always carry my phone.

Great-Grandfathers old watch for dress up events only, but at that point it's jewelry.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/12/17 3:19 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Watch.   Put it on WITH MY dress in the morning.  Take it off as I am going to bed.  

Sorry, that's what I read the first time through; I was thinking "well ok then".

Phone most of the time, watch rarely. Like Pete I have little wrists so by the time enough links are removed I may as well carry it on a chain in my pocket.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/17 3:22 p.m.

Wear a watch.  Quit for about 15 years after my 2nd G-shock died from a battery explosion in the mid 90's.  Started back up about 5 years ago with an automatic (no battery!).  I probably have 5 cheap ones (< $50) and one nice one ($300) that is a numbered limited edition (1 of 200, but not #1). After I got the nice one, I usually wear it unless I'm on a construction site or doing something that has a high probability of damaging it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 3:44 p.m.

Watch. 

ATM a Asus ZenWatch so I don't have to constantly look at my phone to see why it dinged. I can't imagine having to pull the phone out to see what time it is. 

On the weekends, it's a Casio G-shock, because the ZenWatch charge port is magnetic and attracts ever stray piece of metal in the shop. 

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/17 3:50 p.m.

I used to wear them all the time, but now I'm a sheep and I can't exist without my phone so I don't wear one.

I bought a really nice Bulova because I love watches as a wearable piece of art, but otherwise they just get in the way for me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/12/17 4:04 p.m.

I wear a watch (usually a Seiko 5) but I take it off at the office. I have an L-shaped desk with an elevated return that would constantly bang against my watch. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/12/17 4:30 p.m.

$20 vulgar blue digital one every day at work bought from WM and nice $100 one mentioned here that I rarely wear due to not going out anymore. My phone is a tool most of the time. Imagine walking around the forest with your chainsaw at full blatt all the time. Kinda how I see hundreds of people every day with their heads stuck in their phones. For all that my body clock scares me with how repetitive my existence is due to its accuracy.smiley

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/12/17 4:39 p.m.

Much like 914..  My early career years were spent in machine shops and on manufacturing floors.  I spent a few years at the handle of a bridgeport or engine lathe as well.  I stopped wearing a watch as soon as I started working in places where they are safety liabilities.  It's been years.  I didn't wear a wedding ring for years as well..  I'd rather keep my fingers.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/12/17 5:18 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'd rather keep my fingers.

I had an elderly great Aunt I used to visit and once she held up her meaty Italian hands and told me she ran a punch press for 40 years and still had all her fingers.   Tough old lady was proud of it.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/17 5:21 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Much like 914..  My early career years were spent in machine shops and on manufacturing floors.  I spent a few years at the handle of a bridgeport or engine lathe as well.  I stopped wearing a watch as soon as I started working in places where they are safety liabilities.  It's been years.  I didn't wear a wedding ring for years as well..  I'd rather keep my fingers.

Same here.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/12/17 6:20 p.m.

My parents gave me my first watch when I started school at age 5.  Wore one everyday for the next 60 years even though I worked around machinery most of my working life.  

Then came retirement and cellphones.  No longer had the need to meet tight schedules and the wife decided that we needed cellphones.  Haven't worn a watch since even though I still have 3 of them.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/12/17 6:36 p.m.

An analog watch can substitute as a compass.   Learned how in the Scouts.    Just for kicks, I sometimes still do it on the watch that I wear every day.

I have worked various machines, lathes etc. and always wore a watch.   In the AF I took my watch off while disconnecting the  batteries on the planes.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/12/17 6:39 p.m.

always. Nothing but Timex survives and they got to be the glow in the dark kind cause I often wake up in strange countries jet-lagged and wondering" what the berkeley time is it?" in the middle of the night.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
crbh8fZGl1gEeHB4X9rQFO11qoV3UOeccPALMCpPA0pH46DUbF6U5bbRu4HDnmtx