1 2 3 4
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/12/17 6:58 p.m.

No watch.  I quit wearing them a few decades ago.  I've got a very good sense of time.  I can often guess the time to within a few minutes even when I've been out for hours.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/12/17 6:58 p.m.

Yes. A cheap black Casio w201, think updated f91. 

Ive always worn digital, I've never gotten comfortable with analog time pieces. From middle school until recently it has been a string of times ironmans. I stopped regularly around 09 due to work. About 2 years ago I had an assistant manager declare war on phones to the point of a right up for having it out at all. So I went with a basic food safe as possible Casio. My last Ironman was circa 05 with a dressy stainless bracelet, think dive watch. Unfortunately they don't seem to make those any more. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/12/17 7:02 p.m.

Unfortunately no watch. I really like to wear a watch but got out of the habit due to an unfavorable work environment. I have several in a box somewhere. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/12/17 7:34 p.m.

No watch for about the past 50 years.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/12/17 9:03 p.m.
eastsidemav said:

Which reminds me, I have a vintage Star Wars watch I was meaning to show to you at some time.  I need to get a battery for it and see if it still works.

Yes.  Yes you do.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/12/17 9:13 p.m.

No watch or any jewelry of any kind. Don't even own a wedding band and have been married to SWMBO for 36 years. Used to wear a watch. Was a cheap watch until SWMBO got me a nice Seiko. The Seiko was 2 clocks in one, one analog and one digital. Could set 2 different time zones on the digital part so technically it could have 3 different time zones plus alarms which came in handy when traveling. Wore it for years and it went through a lot but usually took it off for most of work. Being a helicopter mech, wearing jewelry was a no-no. The battery went out on the Seiko during Desert Storm so I got a cheap military Timex I wore for years after that. I trash watches because of how I wear them, face towards the bottom of my wrist. The Seiko lasted the longest. Have a collection of watches I inherited, my dad liked watches. Have all of his and some of them are nice name brand plus some of my own like the Seiko. Plus I got my grandfathers watch from my dad, his dad was a railroad switchman so accurate time pieces were a necessity. It is a Rolex. Think about getting it worked on sometimes. When the Timex gave out I got a pocket watch. Carried it for years. Till I started carrying a cell phone and using the clock on it. So now only carry cell phone, sometimes 2. One personal and one work provided. Someone just gave me 4 more watches when they moved. I like one and it fits, thinking about taking someplace to get working and start wearing a watch again. Don't bend wrenches on helicopter/aircraft anymore, sit behind a desk doing logistical work now. But again the way I wear watches is uncomfortable to type. Tried when I got this job, that's why I started carrying a pocket watch.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 9:15 p.m.

I wore one for a while, but then I had kids and was changing diapers constantly and washing hands constantly and doing dishes constantly and it was too much of a bother to take it off to either keep it dry or dry under the band. I still have them, I seldom wear them.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 9:26 p.m.

Always a watch to work, usually on my days off.  It's a requirement as a bus driver to have a reliable watch with the correct time on it to follow a schedule and they can't look at their phones while behind the wheel.  I have a few analog wrist watches, an old Timex, one from Duluth Trading, a couple Soviet watches from eBay, a nice Seiko The Wife got me for my last promotion, and a wooden watch she got for our 15th anniversary. I also have a few pocket watches that I used as a driver when I wore a vest and still break out on special occasions.  I know I'm getting old because I've had people comment when I actually check the time on a watch instead of checking my phone.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/12/17 10:02 p.m.

I kind of got out of the habit of wearing one a couple years ago - I have plenty of clocks around the house, at work or in the car.  Otherwise I can just take a look at my phone.  I do have a nice Casio I got about 35 years ago (which reminds me, it needs a new battery), and I have a couple of my dad's old Timex watches from the 1950s; a friend of mine does watch repair as a hobby and he cleaned them up and got them running again for me.  I like wearing them when I dress up for special occasions, they get a lot of comments.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/12/17 11:17 p.m.

From 14 to 42 I wore an Ironman.  They would get replaced every few years and I knew my brain was in time/date mode when I glanced at it, even if the question wasn't current.

"What year did The battle of Hastings occur?"  Glance at watch to put mind in date mode.  "1066."

then I got an iPhone.  Not one day of watches since.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/12/17 11:31 p.m.

Watch, always, you're a grown man after all. 

Treat yourself to something nice, treat it like jewelry.

I have several that I keep in rotation, wear something different every week:

From most favourite to least:

1964 Tudor Submariner.

Seiko SNZH57 automatic.

Ventus Mori automatic.

Orient FNAA-C1 automatic.

Invicta 22779 automatic.

and a few misc fashion watches that people have bought me over the years.

I want a Tag Monaco in the Gulf livery and an original Hamilton Ventura automatic but those two will take some saving to put my hands on.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
10/12/17 11:54 p.m.

I have a watch.  When I have my hands covered in yuck up to the elbows, I don't want to dig into my pocket for my not-phone.

I am enjoying wall-mounted clocks a lot more - I don't even need to bring my yuck-covered hangs out to where I can read a watch, when I can just look at a wall clock.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/12/17 11:58 p.m.

I used to wear a Wittnauer that my grandfather bought from a guy in a bar during the Detroit riots in '67. Cool story about a hot watch. I need to find that watch.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/13/17 6:54 a.m.
Wall-e said:

....a couple Soviet watches from eBay.....

Tell me more.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/13/17 8:35 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/13/17 10:11 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Damn.  How reliable are the 70's era vintage ones?  Can you get them serviced here in the States being automatic movements.  Seems like you can get a great patinaed watch for less than $50 shipped.  What a great piece of usable cold war memorabilia.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/13/17 10:24 a.m.

They're supposedly not that bad. Products of Cold War and Russian engineering so they're fairly robust and easy enough to work on yourself. Plus they're pretty common so if something goes horrifically wrong you can generally source another movement simply enough. I'd assume they could be cleaned and serviced by anyone competent with Swiss watches.

I keep thinking of pulling the trigger on a STRELA (or one of the rebranded variants) or a Fortis since they're the watches associated with both early Cosmonauts and current Cosmonauts respectively.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/17 10:32 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Wall-e said:

....a couple Soviet watches from eBay.....

Tell me more.

Lilliput Motor Company

Those guys get old Sovietski stuff in at varying times.  They also have a lot of other cool stuff on their catalog.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 10:54 a.m.

I've got a number of Soviet watches. They tend to have a lot of character. There are some repros showing up of the more common/valuable ones. I got a new Vostok and it was a cheap and nasty piece of work.

The best ones have lots of Cyrillic on the face, and they really mess with watch guys. I wear the first one here to a lot of car events because it's Monaco-esque, but not.

This one is awesome because the days of the week are totally indecipherable to me. And it looks like what we should be wearing on the moon base.

Somebody wore this one a lot.

My wife actually wears this one. It's very slim and elegant, and far less obviously Other than the rest.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Those are awesome, though I feel all the pics should have been taken with a Holga. cheeky

java230
java230 SuperDork
10/13/17 11:10 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I haven't worn a watch in a decade or more probably but I am a right wrist right handed guy.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My wife and family being Russian, now I want one of those to wear to family events laugh

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/13/17 11:22 a.m.

I wear mine on the weekends. weekdays I wear a brace that makes me take it off so I don't bother.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/17 11:32 a.m.

I have a couple of soviet watches with 24 hour movements. They are really good for messing with people checking out your watch.

However, they can be a little fragile.

STM317
STM317 Dork
10/13/17 11:43 a.m.

Nope. No jewelry other than a wedding band.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/13/17 1:26 p.m.

Looking at Vostoks on eBay, one seller's descriptions comes off as the Chesnokov of watches. Simply amazing. A dive watch in blue or green would be my pick. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GoXSiYJ4g4kxMZBiia6ekF2vUmqI2cqWEBJcipPC05acdz0oHCDtrc8C9IKapUnR