1 2
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/16/08 11:33 p.m.

no technological advancements have come from NASCAR in over 30 years, why start now, it seems to be working.

they are starting to catch up to the times though, in 2005 they mandated UNLEADED FUELS!!!! OMG!!!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
9/16/08 11:39 p.m.

I've always wanted to see NASCAR ditch the intake restrictor plates, and allow any engine technology besides unnatural aspiration. Keep a maximum displacement rule, maximum fuel tank size, and to keep the speeds down, mandate 87 octane.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
9/17/08 6:23 a.m.

ALMS has a green program parterning with the EPA. There's a special award for the Petit LeMans race this year.

Eric

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/08 7:15 a.m.

Nascar has no reason to change to impress people that aren't already fans.. If they ran paper cars that used solar generated electric you guys would still call them backwards hillbillys

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
9/17/08 11:37 a.m.

We actually ran a dual overhead cam V6 in Nascar, but Nascar didn't know how to check it. Toyota had to make them special tools to check displacement compliance, and this was only 6 years ago. Of course this was all topped off by a 2 barrel carb, which cost in excess of 10k. Yes, FI would probably be cheaper, but they feel like they have more control with no electronics on board.

Unless something drastic changes, they will not ditch the current formula. Their series already in no way resembles anything a maufacturer would put out, so they're not really worried. They're selling the "show", not cars, no matter what Bubba might say. The manufacturers use it as Boutique marketing.

Personally I think SCCA should come up with a road racing class for electric and hybrid cars. To me that would make more sense, as they're more of the market for these anyway.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/17/08 11:42 a.m.
Wally wrote: Nascar has no reason to change to impress people that aren't already fans.. If they ran paper cars that used solar generated electric you guys would still call them backwards hillbillys

No, I'd totally watch NASCAR if they ran the cars backwards!

TJ
TJ New Reader
9/17/08 5:03 p.m.

Ever played with a magnifying glass and paper out in the sun? I'd like to see solar powered paper cars - maybe there would be more fires.

Speaking of NASCAR, what is a competition yellow anyway?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
9/18/08 10:07 a.m.
TJ wrote: Speaking of NASCAR, what is a competition yellow anyway?

That's when they throw a yellow to make sure Dale Jr. doesn't go a lap down....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DSXGw8fXjAFamRxgfX50OCKJJPZL5OVi0U6PYSYgf8nlflsLJqHqKlkdAHaByGhN