1 2 3 4 5
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/14 3:55 p.m.
carbon wrote: Tough to beat an old fashioned Rotary lift. Best $3k you'll ever spend as a car guy, and thats installed.

Tough to beat unless you A) want to take it to the track with you B) have 7.5 foot ceiling beams in your garage or C) want to be able to park two cars in your two car garage.

The QuickJack solves a very different set of problems from a traditional 2-post lift.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/17/14 4:29 p.m.

D)Want ATF on your hootus?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
12/18/14 12:40 a.m.

Nothing like buying the cheapest thing going, then complaining about the quality, THEN refusing to buy the fix for it so you can complain some more.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/14 6:26 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Well, when you put it like that....

The
The HalfDork
12/18/14 7:22 a.m.

As I said........I am over it, but somebody else fired this thread back up,

Professional restoration tech said: Nothing like buying the cheapest thing going, then complaining about the quality, THEN refusing to buy the fix for it so you can complain some more.

is it just my threads that you talk E36 M3 about or is that just your thing?

rwisejr
rwisejr New Reader
12/21/14 1:01 p.m.

In reply to QuickJack: hi i just received my BL-5000 on 12/16 and after finding this post I downloaded and assembled according to the updated and more detailed manual. Unit started to go up but quit . It has not gone up since. The pump sounds likes its working but doesn't appear to be sending any pressure. I contacted tech support and tried to primed the pump as they had instructed. there is still no change in its operation. I would like to get this resolved ASAP as this was a birthday,anniversary,xmas present from the wife.

The
The HalfDork
1/16/15 6:29 p.m.

after the car sitting on the QJ for about 6 weeks, not under pressure, resting on the safety bars I decided to lower the car to look at something so I put pressure on it lifted the safety bars and here are the results it want do anything, no up, no nothing.......

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/15 6:35 p.m.

Ouch!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/15 8:05 p.m.

Time to start troubleshooting then. It lifted far enough for you to pull the safety legs, but won't lift any more? I don't see ATF all over, so my first guess is a pump problem. What does Ranger have to say?

We just took delivery of one and I was playing with it yesterday. The amount of leakage from the current connector design is overstated, I got one tiny drop out of each hose when I disconnected them. It was the minimum amount of fluid that could actually drip. I'm looking forward to trying the new one, though, it's a very cool thing. So far, we've only opened one quart bottle of ATF and I don't think it's empty. No leaks at the various fittings at all, but we're pretty used to pipe thread around here. Production date on our pump was 1/5/15, it's a pretty fresh one

We gave them some feedback such as changing the location of the pump carrying handle and it looks as if that's going to be done on all future models. I've never come across a more responsive manufacturer. Seriously.

In terms of actual use, it's convenient. We found that it's easier to place the jacks on the outside the car and then push them in instead of straddling them as Ranger seems to suggest. Makes it easier to line up with them and if you've got a low car you'll probably drag them around anyhow. It's taller than jack stands and about as fast, but with less time scrambling around. I'm not going to the track again without it. Videos to come.

The
The HalfDork
1/17/15 10:16 a.m.
What does Ranger have to say?

I am TRULY happy for those not having any trouble, truly I am, I wish I were among you. They say hold on then you get this guy who transfer you to this other guy (no lie)...................try this try that no wait a min that's a different model, I will have to transfer you, let me get back with you...........................it seems as you stated they make changes on the fly and then cannot trouble shoot it because they don't know which iteration (Each repetition of the process is also called an "iteration", and the results of one iteration are used as the starting point for the next iteration.) you have. you have given me a idea, I will take the first motor they sent me, hook it up and try it. Good luck and keep on jacking, quickly that is.

rwisejr
rwisejr New Reader
1/18/15 4:38 p.m.

Just to update they shipped out a replacement pump and mine sofar is working as expected.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/20/15 3:08 a.m.

Though the original fittings are truly subpar and very leak prone because they are the wrong type for a hydraulic system, the design is otherwise pretty sound even if put together cheaply. Looks like they finally are including more suitable fittings designed for hydraulic systems. I fixed my BL-5000 from bleeding ATF profusely at the connections by cleaning and liberally epoxing ALL original threaded connections with Aerospace grade Hysol epoxy. Let it cure for 3 days just to be sure before wetting the system again. Has been rock solid in performance now with ZERO leaks with months of use. Epoxying bad connections is MUCH cheaper than getting better/proper fittings...

I really enjoy using my BL-5000, works great for my needs.

phenryiv1
phenryiv1 New Reader
4/27/15 10:52 a.m.

I'm just going to leave these here:

photo 20150426_164223.jpg

Keith Tanner
4/27/15 10:34 p.m.

Did you call Ranger about what looks like a bad crimp on that hose? Because I'll bet that if you did, there's already a replacement on the way to you.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/28/15 6:44 a.m.

Is there a patent on that thing?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/28/15 6:47 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: D)Want ATF on your hootus?

Keith Tanner
4/28/15 7:45 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Did you call Ranger about what looks like a bad crimp on that hose? Because I'll bet that if you did, there's already a replacement on the way to you.
Even if they ship out a replacement right away there's still the frustration of downtime, clean up, repair, etc. it's like getting a bad Range Rover that's under warranty, sure the repairs are covered, but it's a pain to keep taking to the dealer.

Agreed, it's not a desirable thing. But these sort of problems are generally initial quality concerns, and not ongoing ones like a Rangie. I'm the sort of person that looks for solutions instead of difficulties, too - complaining about a problem without spending 15 minutes to resolve it isn't much good to anyone.

Flyin' Miata is, if I haven't made that clear, now a dealer for these things. That means that I now get a high level view of the number of problems being experienced. We're hearing very few complaints about initial quality such as badly crimped hoses. We are hearing about a lot of shipping damage, usually broken wheels on the ends of the lifting units. That's easily fixed and doesn't stop you from using the jack, but I do hope that Ranger gets that sorted out. It needs to be addressed at the factory that is making the lifting units, which I suspect may not be in the us.

Keith Tanner
4/28/15 7:46 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Is there a patent on that thing?

I believe so.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/28/15 8:05 a.m.

Keith, I hear what you're saying, but looking at this thread, I see a poor quality product that gets decent support when an issue arrises. I applaud them for sending out the replacement parts, but it's just a golf clap. That's what you are supposed to do, minimum.
It doesn't appear the problems are limited to folks on this board. Others are experiencing the same issues. That's pretty crappy. If I had a quick jack spewing atf on my floor from crappy fittings, I'd have sent it back. Going cheap on the fittings seems like they were cutting corners. I'd rather not discover, the hard way, that they also cheaped out on the safety mechanism too. The first lift I bought for my garage failed. Pretty spectacularly. I forgave that and repaired it (on my own time and dime, not something you want your customers to have to do) once. The second time was one too many. I hope they get this straightened out, but it seems like your blowing off blatant quality issues simply because they'll send out replacement parts.
All that being said, my only exposure to this product is this, and another thread or two about the product.

phenryiv1
phenryiv1 New Reader
4/28/15 11:07 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Did you call Ranger about what looks like a bad crimp on that hose? Because I'll bet that if you did, there's already a replacement on the way to you.

I did call Ranger and they are indeed shipping me a new hose. Good for them.

However as noted above, this is a frustrating situation form the beginning...and this is NOT the first part that they have had to send to me.

When I bought my BL5000 I had read this thread and a half dozen others on other forums. I was supposed to buy a second one with a friend and he backed out after reading this thread, so I just bought one unit.

My hope was that I'd be one of the people who post up about having no problems and how much I love it and rainbows and unicorns and skittles, but that is not the case.

First off, when I got it it looked like the chimps form the old American Tourister commercials had gone to town on the boxes:

photo 20150311_175712.jpg

photo 20150311_175719.jpg

photo 20150311_175838.jpg

photo 20150311_175829.jpg

Really, would double-walled boxes be too much to ask? How about maybe wood for the critical/fragile components like the motor/pump assembly?

Anyway, unboxing revealed nothing but a few scratches, so I was able to live with it. Somewhat significant gripe: The pump assembly does not come attached to the metal housing (which is shared with the 12V units and the 3500). This (somewhat sharp) sheet metal part was poorly cut/drilled, had holes in the wrong place, is unwieldy to use in the process of attaching it to the pump, and actually would add a margin of safety for the pump in shipment. I ended up with a pretty good gash in my hand when the pump slipped during assembly. Blood plus shipping grease is not a good combo.

So after doing that assembly, I looked at the rest of the supplied parts.

My unit was a 1Q 2015 production unit so the revisions should be up to date. Most of my components did NOT match up with the photos and drawings in the instructions, but at least I had instructions. Some things were assembled and the directions said to assemble them- other were NOT assembled but the instructions made no mention. My 90* hydraulic fitting, for example, were already installed (instructions told me to install them)- but they were not the proper ones. I had supplemental instructions that came with revised fittings in a bag taped to the inside of one of the boxes, so I installed them. Not a big deal, but if I am about to trust my life to a product, I want the directions to be accurate.

photo 20150314_130722.jpg

Next up was the air cylinders. I went to air them up to 50 PSI (per the instructions) but they would not hold pressure. I checked the cores and they were not installed properly in the valves. When I went to tighten them they snapped right off. This was on a weekend when I was hoping to use the unit so I lost a couple days waiting, calling Ranger, waiting for the parts, and installing the (completely different) valves.

I had a few weeks where other obligations (family stuff, house projects, actually WORKING ON CARS [without a lift after selling my old mid-rise scissor lift to make room to use this one]) took priority over finishing assembly of the lift but this weekend I wanted to change the steering rack in my e30 and I went to hook up the hoses and bleed the lines to use the lift for the steering rack project and the results were what you saw above. Once again, time wasted in diagnosis, plus this time I had a mess to clean up as a result of a crappy fitting on a $1300 product. And once again, I am about to trust this product with my life, yet they can't get simple (critical) accessories right.

I just got the email that the replacement hose arrived but I really needed the rack swapped last weekend. Time wasted. Now I get to install the new hose, bleed the system, and HOPE that this was the last issue with my brand new lift.

I have not even used it yet and I have had 2 warranty claims. Not a good sign, IMO.

phenryiv1
phenryiv1 New Reader
4/28/15 2:59 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Buying a product for $1300 and not being able to use it right away would be a deal breaker for me. Not being able to use it for a few weeks would really piss me off.

Yeah, if this does not work I will be taking action. I sold a working mid-rise lift for the "convenience" of being able to take this to help work on cars at my parents' house and I am regretting it already. I have had 2x since getting the QL that I could have used my TD6MR but I had to sell it to make room to have an open floor for the BL5000. Right now the BL5000 is taking up space on my workbench and my floor while making room in my wallet.

Not a beneficial situation, overall.

Hopefully the new hose will rectify it and I'll be back to rainbows and unicorns.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/15 9:05 p.m.

I keep wanting to buy one of these lifts and then I see this thread and lose interest. Some time passes and I start getting interested again and the thread gets revived.

I really want Ranger/BendPak to get this right, but at this point I dont have much faith.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/29/15 8:14 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Flight Service wrote: Is there a patent on that thing?
I believe so.

There is a utility patent pending according to the site. They have a design or "visual look" patent.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/29/15 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I wouldn't try to patent something like a quick jack. There are probably lifting mechanism patents from 100 years ago that cover it.

I'd spend my time and money to try to be first to market, and cash in on most of the market before other guys get a product to market. Does one enthusiast buy multiple quick jacks? Not most of them, I would think.

The
The HalfDork
4/29/15 10:23 a.m.

They (QJ) starting calling me every other day last week, they wanted their trashed pump back. I put them off for a few days, then just left the piece of E36 M3 on my front porch laying in a open box. FedEx took it.

To sum it up if you lift your cars and leave them up for months like I do mine, then you might like it. There are so many different (models) of this thing, you don't know what you have. I would not rely on it to raise and lower a car several times a day. Keep on jackin.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXuDL3kcN7j7HVGuanv5t8eGg5shogSPVfR8QqhHlLausRdUXFwiyoZ62D6gcSIv