Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
11/13/18 12:41 p.m.

Hi everyone,

So, my 07 Mazda 6 is telling me that I might want to look at a replacement.  Unless I want to spend more money on it than it is worth to fix a bunch of worn-out, rusty things.  My 6 needs a whole new exhaust, including the rear catalytic converter because it is rusted out. Looking at over $850 in just parts alone for that, and that is going cheap...  Needs a bunch of suspension replacements, which are all coated in 11 years of rust.  And some things, like the rear sway bar links, mount to the middle of the rear A-arms, so I'd have to pull the sway bar out to replace the end links.  Quote to replace just the endlinks and the exhaust was over $2300..  That doesn't begin to address things like worn out shocks, engine mounts, sagging headliner, etc....  And yesterday morning, it decided that it would rather have me open the drivers door ONLY from the outside....  angry Plus there is the typical Mazda rust over rear wheel well..  Given how "packaged" everything is on the 6, it makes me want to skip on another Mazda.  And we've had 5.

So, me and Mrs. Wx are looking around at what we can find on the used market ( no older than 5 years old).  Is it just me, or is pretty much everything made lately just soul-suckingly boring?  Like, I can't even get up to the level of "meh" when looking at them.  I know there are the few standouts like FiST/FoST, Frisbee twins, etc.  But sadly, its not the time for some of those, and I don't think it would get any sort of nod of approval.  It doesn't help that I would love a manual again after a 10 year absence, but that's not going to happen.  Mrs. Wx would like something AWD and not minivan that she could drive. I got the auto in the 6 so she could drive it.  I can count on one hand the number of times she has driven it in the 11 years we've had it.

With 3 kids (16 year old twins learning to driver and a 12 year old) and all of their activities, there is no time to have the car down to do all of the work myself. Nor do I have the desire to crawl under it with it up on jack stands/ramps to fix it. I can't even get the motivation to clean up the garage, let alone spend a few days wrestling with my DD to get these things fixed...

I am so frustrated with myself and my lack of desire and motivation for anything. I know I shouldn't feel like this about how life is going, because I have a wonderful life and awesome kids.  I know we are blessed with what we have and that everything is good, but damn if don't feel like everything is just get to hell in a hand basket.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?  Thanks for reading my rant.... 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/13/18 12:47 p.m.

Yeah. Buy my rust-free 2008 Infiniti G35s 6-speed. $7800. 305 horsepower would make up for a lot of sins if it had any, and will cover for a novice stick-shift driver.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/18 12:59 p.m.

If you live in the rust belt, something that is not prone to rust would be my number one priority and every Mazda older that 5 years looks awful around me. If a new exhaust and suspension is needed and you aren't doing it your self it may be time to cut your losses.

Forget the manual if that would just be for you to play in. If you have all those other members of your family that just need safe reliable transportation.  Get a rust free people mover in AWD and then eventually just get a cheap toy with a manual for you to play with and forget about the soul sucking appliance you have to live with M-F.

Later model Volvos, Audis don't tend to rust as bad and some aluminum suspension components can help with that underneath. Whatever you get, blast it with Fluid Film liberally underneath every fall.

Good luck!

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
11/13/18 1:28 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

Yeah, I forgot to mention where I live.  Lovely Rusta-chusetts.  I'm surprised at how not badly rusted the body is on my Mazda given the age and the fact that I don't wash it as well as I should.  The suspension/exhaust though.... surprise

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/13/18 1:46 p.m.

Someone else here on the board told me he got a NEW Sonata for like $18k.  Sure, it is a low option model but that cheap for new struck me as a deal.  They say the sedan is a dying breed over the CUVs.  It seems that maybe the discounts are in the sedans these days.  

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
11/13/18 1:48 p.m.

Yeah, aluminum suspension components are your friend - my BMWs have been surprisingly good, despite lives lived in the NE. Just last year I bought a cheap garden sprinkler head and drive the car over it a few times every winter to knock off the worst of the salt (I'm in NY, so I share your pain). And +1 to the Fluid Film suggestion, though I've only used it inside things like rockers and subframes, not on the surface.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/13/18 3:12 p.m.

My friend has a Hyundai Tucson - brand new $17k.  Like literally brand new.  Sure, its rental spec, but for his 100 mile a day commute it does just fine.

So yeah, new Hyundai or Kia would be my suggestion.  My wife has a 2016 Optima and is terrible about washing it in winter, going on winter 3 here and just starting to see some corrosion on the bolt heads.  Overall the later model Korean stuff does not rust as bad as Mazdas, which seem to be made from compressed iron oxide and hope.  

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/18 8:40 p.m.

Get something for you and your wife... maybe 2018 sportwagon or Subaru crosstreck.... whatever works. Keep the 6 as you won’t get squat for it anyway and have your kids help you fix the issues as a prerequisite to driving,.... once done that is their car.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/13/18 10:44 p.m.

Sounds like your life sucks . Mine does too.... kids/wife/life ugh. 

buy a Highlander. It also sucks. So it’s perfect for mediocre life 

I have a mazda5 for family duty. It’s worse than a Highlander, my life is worse than yours 

at least I escaped mass holes after 9 years 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
11/14/18 8:34 a.m.

Sorry for the rant everyone.  Everything just kinda boiled over at once.  Thank you for the advice.  I really do appreciate it.

Armitage
Armitage Dork
11/14/18 10:49 a.m.

Don't beat yourself up over not having time or motivation. You have more important things in your life than fixing rusty old cars. That sort of work isn't what makes this hobby fun anyway. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9GFkpWaPhyUfguRM5CERWwr0knzEQhwDK39A9VKyrOE9RlAO3uw3HkZpuqCqejNh