Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/3/18 3:17 p.m.

For work I've been given use of a 2018 RAV4.  It's a decent penalty box and I drive quite a bit.  Took delivery in April with 20 miles on the odo and today it has around 18k.  It has adaptive cruise and a lane departure system that senses the edge of the lane and gently tugs the front wheels to bring you back to center when you're clipping apexes.

As an experiment, how could I (or a technician) turn up the sensitivity of the lane departure system to basically keep the car in the center of the lane at all times?  Once you're moving the display shows white lines on either side of your RAV4 to indicate the system is "armed" and able to take the wheel if you drift too far to the left or right.  It only pulls you back when the tires are within 6" of either line.  Just for "research" I'd like the system to correct well before that.

Here's a similar screen from a Camry.  We can be adults and jettison any talk of liability or the theory of self-driving cars.  What are the "knobs" I can "turn up" to make my lane departure feature behave like a self-driving Tesla?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 3:26 p.m.

AFAIK these systems aren't made to be adjustable in any way, so you'd basically have to reverse-engineer and modify the firmware (possibly ROM?) of whatever device is running the lane-hold feature.

My dad's boss has been using adaptive cruise and lane-hold together as an irresponsible form of autonomous driving for years. The car slowly pinballs between the lines, but it does stay in its lane.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/3/18 3:38 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

AFAIK these systems aren't made to be adjustable in any way, so you'd basically have to reverse-engineer and modify the firmware (possibly ROM?) of whatever device is running the lane-hold feature.

My dad's boss has been using adaptive cruise and lane-hold together as an irresponsible form of autonomous driving for years. The car slowly pinballs between the lines, but it does stay in its lane.

Exactly what I'm hoping to replicate.  Just with faster response and less pinballing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/18 3:57 p.m.

I’m trying to figure out how asking people how to illegally modify your boss’s car so it can be illegally operated on public roads on this website is fair to the Suddards or qualifies as “adult”. 

Sorry man. Go ahead and count me as a juvenile.  indecision

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/3/18 4:48 p.m.

I used to think like that too. But I realized that we’re all modifying cars on this forum to some extent.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/18 5:06 p.m.

Yes we are. 

Anything I've modified beyond what was legal on the road I’ve kept on the track or the dirt.

I also keep my hands on the wheel.

Although I have also attempted a self driving car.  On the track.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/18 5:11 p.m.

I like to consider our hosts, who own the content we post here. 

I would restrain myself from posting a hack publicly that would enable countless people to start driving their cars with no hands on public roads. 

My rant is over. Good luck. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 5:30 p.m.

I'd start by sniffing the CAN network. The camera and the steering and possibly a separate control unit like the DSC are likely communicating over that network. Spend a few months poring over hexadecimal messages and you can probably figure out a way to ramp up the steering response with a gateway in the right part of the system. It's not going to be easy, but it's a potential way.

There's an ad on TV right now where a driver engages her lane departure system when she drives between two trucks to ensure she stays safe. Yeah, staying between the lines is what will keep you safe, instead of avoiding making yourself the meat in an 80 ton sandwich.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/3/18 9:02 p.m.

Yeah yeah. I was hoping for turn pot 1 quarter turn clockwise. Just curious, troopers. At ease.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xrrvhyXf45aKgoyKVj9IGUJ26d6FCBFUR7tTcZNCutgE8qkzSt0WlhhkEVz8t9gu