5/29/08 11:16 a.m.

http://www.texasbarbeques.com/bbq_styles.html

good explanation of regional styles.

wikipedia has a good page too!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
5/29/08 11:32 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
Jack wrote: Barbeque as in pulled pork, brisket, ribs????... ~Education follows~
I had no idea school was in session! Thanks for the lesson. :nice:

BBQ is one of the few (non-kid/wife) things that take me away from my cars. Skiing is another.

The bottom line though, is good BBQ is what you like, not what someone else says is good. Take recipes and modify then until you are happy with them. Like school, take lots of notes.

Jack

Jack
Jack SuperDork
5/29/08 12:18 p.m.
RidgeRunner wrote: "I'll have a chopped sandwich, no slaw, extra dip and some sweet tea to drink!"

Mmmm, I recall my favorite phrase when I lived in Durham, NC. . . " I'll have a pound of Que, a quart of Slaw and a dozen Puppies to go"

I sure miss that, but living in Seattle, I've learned to make my own.

Jack

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/29/08 12:52 p.m.

My bro used to complain the Daytona was sorely lacking in real bbq as he saw it. There's a joint on the strip but it's only fair imo.

RidgeRunner
RidgeRunner Dork
5/29/08 2:31 p.m.

What sucks for me is I just moved to ATL and have no idea if there's anything resembling Lexington-style BBQ available around here. :whatthe:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/29/08 2:51 p.m.

Mustard and vinegar based are the only real BBQ sauces and it's gotta have some heat to it. Maurice Bessinger may be a racist creep, but he knows his mustard based BBQ. http://www.mauricesbbq.com/ It works on either beef or pork, I prefer the pulled pork myself.

That tomato based crap is basically sweetened discolored ketchup, best suited for those who frequent bathhouses in San Francisco.

S2
S2 New Reader
5/30/08 12:19 p.m.

"Pig meat is what I crave"- Bo Carter, Mississippi Delta Blues Musician.

He got it right, and ate Memphis style. Anything else is a poor imitation. \Flame suit on\:twisted:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/31/08 12:04 a.m.

Memphis style is 'dry rub', right? That one I haven't tried.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
5/31/08 1:03 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Memphis style is 'dry rub', right? That one I haven't tried.

After my first trip to Memphis several years ago, eating ribs anywhere else just isn't the same...

Google "Rendezvous Ribs" although there are some smaller rib places around Memphis that are quite tasty, as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4rgZ4LeVBYo5fWsk6UOWWWQAQZmb8rP0Br45ccv35qYvG0e5gffOPFC4O0OhIp2w