nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/15/18 6:42 p.m.

Just bite the bullet and spend $400 to $700 on a la z boy knowing you'll be happy for many years or are there some decent and comfy options out there?

I do look at CL but mostly in the free section.  If I'm gonna go over a couple of hundred it'll be new not something that would look gross under a blue light. smiley

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
12/15/18 6:48 p.m.

I've had a few cheap recliners and a La-Z-Boy. The La-Z-Boy was indeed worth the price. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 6:55 p.m.

When you road test them, dress as you would when you’re watching Roadkill in it. 

This year we bought a new leather recliner and double reclining sofa to match. Felt great in the showroom. The only problem is that at home, I usually recline with my shoes off. Come to find out, the recliners have a 90 degree plywood edge on the footrest that is only padded by a thin piece of leather. It cuts right into my Achilles’ tendons. Never noticed in the store with my shoes on.

It was a three grand mistake that I will live with for the next ten years. Looks fantastic but I’m hoping the dog chews it up before then.

My two previous recliners were Lazy Boys. These are not. Next one will be again. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/18 7:04 p.m.

I just spent 10 hours working on my basement renovation. I'm exhausted and sore, and typing this sitting in my La-Z-Boy. There simply is no alternative that's worth discussing.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/18 7:12 p.m.

Although not technically a recliner, we have had 2 of these chairs from Ikea with the associated ottomans for at least a decade and they are pretty dang good.  Got the leather covers for the cushions which were well worth it in my opinion.  I slept in one for a few weeks after a serious A-C joint separation (where the collar bone goes into the shoulder).

Poang chair from Ikea

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/15/18 7:39 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

i probably have looked at that before.  I wouldn't even mind if it wasn't amazing at that price just good for reading a book for a couple of hours.  I'll put it on my Ikea list.  Thanks. smiley

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 8:24 p.m.
Woody said:

When you road test them, dress as you would when you’re watching Roadkill in it. 

This got me kicked out of Raymour and Flanigan 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/15/18 8:28 p.m.

I’ve bought cheap, I’ve bought la z boys.  

I insist on la z boys.  

On another note my mother-in-law had a stroke and the FILaw  bought the la z boy floor model electric Lyft chair.  She lived, slept and spent 10 years in that chair 24-7.  Never had a problem.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 11:27 p.m.

Fwiw one of my FB friends recently bought a new Lay-z-boy & was complaining that it was subpar to their older ones, though I don’t know any details. 

Also, while not directly relevant about 6-years age we were shopping sectionals. I don’t remember what brand it is, but each seat is an individual piece & the whole thing(seating for 6 with 3 reclining units, an arm rest & 90* seat) was about $5k. The demo in the showroom had super thick seat cushions, the one we received is more like a bench seat. I don’t sit on it frequently, or for very long, so I didn’t notice until we’d already had it for several weeks. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/16/18 9:37 a.m.
Wally said:
Woody said:

This got me kicked out of Raymour and Flanigan 

That’s the problem Wally, you have to shop at Bob’s if there is one near you. R&F can eat a bag of unmentionable body parts. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/16/18 1:30 p.m.

I consider La-Z-Boy the cheapest I will buy. Seriously, they’re the bottom level of adequate. 

Id hold out on Craigslist and Facebook markets for a Hancock and Moore or Stickley. Boots economics. 

Also, power recliners break much less. More expensive, but this is a wear item and it has probably twice the life. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/18 1:37 p.m.

Use an extended seating time in the store. I tried my recliner out in store for about 10 minutes. An hour after it came home, I found a spot that seems to have NO support that really should, right at the small of my back when fully reclined. I'm stuck with it for the next few years, and I'm not happy about it at all. It's not so much the lack of support that's the problem, it feels like there's a gap where the seat cushion and back cushion meet, and the way my house is setup, this essentially pushes cold air from the kitchen/entrance of the house into the back of my chair when reclined. 

this replaced my dads old power recliner. It was nice enough, but slow as all hell, and really uncomfortable on long gaming sessions. It really wasn't "living room furniture" grade, especially for what it cost. He also lived in it for 5 or 6 years before he died, so I'm sure that took a toll on the padding, but I'd still expect longer out of such an expensive piece of furniture. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/16/18 2:10 p.m.

We have a la-z-boy recliner and reclining couch and are happy with them. We also have a Poang chair and ottoman that see lots of use and we love them too. It’s not the same as a recliner but for a couple hour long book reading session it’s perfect. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/16/18 2:13 p.m.

The Ashley furniture recliner we purchased for my wife on sale last year for 399 is way more comfortable then the la-z-boy it replaced. It doesn't feel as heavy or durable sadly but I can sit in it pain free. An hour in the old chair and my hips hurt. So try them yourself, because the crowd favorite sucks for me 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/16/18 2:21 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Ekornes stressless furniture and recliners. I picked up an excellent condition used chair that I love. Very simple and reliable design. New they're a little spendy, but very well built and sturdy.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/16/18 3:04 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

yeah I've seen ads in the past for these.  Spendy indeed but if it's the last one you ever buy it's fair to me.  smiley

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/23 9:44 a.m.

I usually go used for this type of stuff.  Furniture depreciates pretty fast.

Be aware that whatever you buy used will have someone else's farts in it, grandpa's urine, and that one time that Timmy lost his virginity to Rhonda soaked into the upholstery.... which is why I usually get leather or vinyl and clean it profusely.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/15/23 5:44 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I usually go used for this type of stuff.  Furniture depreciates pretty fast.

Be aware that whatever you buy used will have someone else's farts in it, grandpa's urine, and that one time that Timmy lost his virginity to Rhonda soaked into the upholstery.... which is why I usually get leather or vinyl and clean it profusely.

yur killin' me smallz !!!!! BWaHaahahaaa

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/23 5:49 p.m.

Poang is just simple and works.  And it can double as an emergency sim rig chair.  So versatile.

If I want to recline any further than that I'll go to bed or lay on the couch.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/15/23 5:57 p.m.

Another +1 for La z Boy- and it isn't without looking hard for an alternative.   My issue is that I want to fit into the chair in a specific way- which all of the stylish higher end ones never really came close to meeting.  Fine for me.  But I also opted up to the leather version- I got about 20 years out of my first one, and this second one is darned nice.

BTW, after looking- I actually found places near by that will reupholster the chair.  So IF you find a used one that is really comfortable, perhaps you can go that way and just have a pro put new covers and cushions on it.  

I always am a function over form person.  If it's not the most comfortable to me, I'm not getting it.  I don't care if it doesn't match.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/15/23 6:22 p.m.

Definitely above the La z boy price range but if you can find a good deal look at the Catnapper brand.  We just gave in on a sofa loveseat and recliner from them.  Heat and massage after a long day can be a wonderful thing (and not the cheesy vibrating massage, actual rollers in the backrest)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/15/23 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

You are really not selling me on this used idea. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KZMgVG7HFmDIfZ8SZXaMTDRznqZ83q85NcacZ26gmGOUEtOze9QBl5zNsnYiHSzi