1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/11 5:04 p.m.

SWMBO started playing the 360 yesterday and loved it. Unfortunately, nearly every game that I inherited is a fighting game or RPG. She was rocking out the vintage Genesis collection but wants to play some modern games. She loves Mario-type games and stuff that's easy to play. What's modern and fun? I've heard Portal should be tried, any others?

Also, are their any good 2-player on the same machine games? We used to play MarioKart together back in college and think it would be fun to play a 2-player game. She loved the Lego Pirates demo, so something like that would be cool.

Thanks!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/11 5:09 p.m.

Lego anything is fun, we have star wars and indiana jones. I LOVE me some Rainbow Six vegas 2 I love it so much I had to get rid of my Live account so I could get anything done around the house.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
8/2/11 5:25 p.m.

lego games can also be had pretty cheap used at gamestop :)...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/2/11 5:36 p.m.

nobody really makes games that are "easy to play" anymore. Everything is millions of levels and lots of games that I play nearly REQUIRE a game guide...

maybe I am just dumb...

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
8/2/11 5:39 p.m.

Peggle is stupid and addictive. (even has 2 player mode) I got it for my daughter but I think I have played it more than she has.

The guitar hero series can be fun and its intuitive to play.

Forza3 is a great racing game (though you may want to wait for Forza4 which is about to come out)

My 68 year old dad is pretty addicted to halo reach, so don't fear the all of the FPS's...

donalson
donalson SuperDork
8/2/11 5:49 p.m.

for easy to play games... they still have em... but they are kids games... which is where legos comes in... my son LOVES lego star wars on the Wii... haven't gotten any family stuff for the 360 still...

honestly for family friendly stuff a Wii is where its at... soft mod it and you can run emulators to place LOTS of old systems all the way up to about 2 generations ago (PSx type stuff)

kids love playing old mario... and wife and I love killing on tetris lol...

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/2/11 5:53 p.m.

My wife likes the kiddie games. I think spyro the dragon is her favourite

GearBanger
GearBanger New Reader
8/2/11 5:59 p.m.

Try picking up a pre-owned copy of the "Orange Box" it has portal and other addicting games on it. Pick up Grid, Need for Speed, Burn out revenge, and Left for Dead for you. On line gaming is pretty cool too with the xbox.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/11 6:02 p.m.

I have the Forza4 LCE pre-ordered for me, and I will likely pick up some of the CoD's. My current addiction is Mass Effect (and ME2).

I need a 2nd controller and thought it would be fun to pick up some her and us games. She's 16 weeks preggo so there's lots of couch time in our future.

flountown
flountown Reader
8/2/11 6:18 p.m.

If you are looking for a good 2 Player same console game, download Worms. It was one of my favorite hang out with friends games, and can have up to 4 people.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
8/2/11 8:58 p.m.

If you like movies, Scene It for 360 is a lot of fun. Even more fun with 4 people.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/2/11 9:38 p.m.
GearBanger wrote: Try picking up a pre-owned copy of the "Orange Box" it has portal and other addicting games on it.

THIS. Get Portal 2 after your wife has finished Portal - Portal 2 has a two-player co-op mode in addition to the single-player mode.

If your wife likes racing games, than Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is another great game. It's not realistic in the least but it's lots of fun to play cops-and-robbers in cars that cost more than you'll ever make in your lifetime.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
8/2/11 10:16 p.m.

Uno and monopoly are available for the 360, and I think popcap's zuma is stupid addictive.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
8/3/11 7:02 a.m.

Yea the Lego games are good 2 player co-op games that are fairly easy to play. Wife and I have played a few of them.

And definately the portal series.

Lots of shooters have some great co-op play, and some of them arent too hard on the easy setting, might take a little while to master the controls if she is new to them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
8/3/11 7:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: We used to play MarioKart together back in college and think it would be fun to play a 2-player game.

Gee, I thought MarioKart was cutting edge. Back in college we had Space Invaders and Pong.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/3/11 7:11 a.m.

Did you go on to xbox live and download some demos of game. There are lots of cool games for the casual gamer that are also fun for the hard core gamers. Then when you find a game you'd like to purchase get the points at real store so you don't have to put your credit info into the xbox.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/3/11 8:25 a.m.

I with the Lego suggestion. I stumbled across a Sonic collection. Has a ton of games old school of course. Best bet is to find it on Gamestop's website.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/3/11 8:27 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Javelin wrote: We used to play MarioKart together back in college and think it would be fun to play a 2-player game.
Gee, I thought MarioKart was cutting edge. Back in college we had Space Invaders and Pong.

Blur is a modern twist on Mario Kart. Check the demo out.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/3/11 11:16 a.m.

It's not 2-player, but the last Prince of Persia game is heralded as being one of the few new platform games that doesn't thrive on being intentionally frustrating.

If you have Xbox Live gold, check out the games there. You can get trial versions of all the Arcade and Indy games for free, and there's TONS of stuff. I just downloaded one called Bastion, which is an isometric Zelda-style game.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/3/11 11:18 a.m.

Prince of Persia (any of them) and Portal/Portal 2.

That's what "my" SWMBO loves to play.

She also likes playing Angry Birds on the PS3 on the big screen. What a great use of a $300 console and expensive TV!

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/3/11 11:29 a.m.

Here's an old one that can be found for cheap due to age (somebody told me it was the 1st 360 game made, whatev). I had never heard of it until recently, but just played through it.

Kameo - Elements of Power

You're essentially (don't laugh) a fairy princess. Redeeming quality is that you get to turn into 10 different monsters with all kinds of crazy abilities and attacks. Also, the game features large-scale battlegrounds where you get to test your monsters against dozens of enemies at a time. There's also a co-op feature built-in to play together.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
8/3/11 11:31 a.m.

The Piniata games are entertaining and can be found used.

It really depends on what she likes though. Has she actually tried the RPGs and FPS games? Do you have any non D&D type RPGs? J-RPGs or something like Grand Theft Auto?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/3/11 11:35 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

The silver pass (free) xbl accounts also have access to downloads. Gold is for online multiplayer and a few other extras.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/3/11 11:43 a.m.

I'll 3rd for the Lego games - there's a combo "Star Wars - Ultimate Collection" that covers Episodes I-VI for $19.95. It's a ridiculous amount of entertainment for 20 bucks. Worth $20 just to watch Chewie popping the arms off of stormtroopers in melee. It was so much fun we bought (and played to 100%) the Batman series, the Harry Potter series, the Indian Jones series, and the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Just got the Clone Wars game last night, in fact. Great 2-player cooperative mode, too.

Any of the first 3 or 4 Spyro games are fun enough to play without being too challenging, also.

Has Little Big Planet or any of the Ratchet and Clank games been ported to the X?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
8/3/11 12:50 p.m.

If you can spare the money for the Kinect, I'd recommend nearly any game that uses it as they all tend to be easier and put more emphasis on moving around.

Having a few drinks and playing Dance Central is surprisingly fun...and of course you can always take a break and watch your girl dance...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y4A6ZdrolqIBKFO9Ocd8gqRJ9xLaFzhAmDCzvcVka5D0HyK4t8U49td62fTd2EQn