fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/21/14 6:11 p.m.

Safe, durable, easy to use, quality, no junk.

Primary use is S197 springs, I know, I know you don't have to but I need one in the 'ol tool box anyway so might as well pop now for any future use.

Nothing showed up local so online order is prolly the way to go. Got time, can wait. Don't really want to go loan-a-tool route.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/14 6:26 p.m.

I bought a set of used snap on spring compressors for very reasonable money on the Bay Of E.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
2/21/14 7:26 p.m.

I recently bought these and immediately put them to use multiple times:

they're quite stout and come in a molded case - best price I found was through Jegs. I'm pleased with my purchase.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/14 7:54 p.m.

I have the OTC clamshell its the only non-wall mount strut compressor I am comfortable with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SRHU6

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/14 10:04 p.m.
impulsive wrote: I recently bought these and immediately put them to use multiple times: they're quite stout and come in a molded case - best price I found was through Jegs. I'm pleased with my purchase.

I have those, but FYI they're too big to use with aftermarket Miata springs. The coils bind on the clamp hooks before you can compress them enough to get everything assembled.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/22/14 11:48 p.m.
impulsive wrote: I recently bought these and immediately put them to use multiple times: they're quite stout and come in a molded case - best price I found was through Jegs. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Just ordered that kit from Jeg's w/ free shipping. Looks like the same kit from Sears Craftsman just rebranded and more expensive. Sounds good. Thanks much.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
2/23/14 12:36 a.m.

In reply to impulsive:

Same thing I rented from AutoZone when I did mine. Worked well enough.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
2/24/14 9:40 a.m.

I've used my HF set several times with no ill effects.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/14 11:14 a.m.

I use a set of these:

link to amazon

It takes a bit more time to install on the spring than the ones with a less positive lock on the coils, but since there's no way for it to accidentally slip and release IMHO it's a safer choice. It fine works on stock Miata springs (I've done several with it, including my own when I first swapped over to 2.5" springs).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/24/14 11:17 a.m.

I picked up a set like logdog posted at NAPA for $22. They were a little bulky and had a hard time with front coils on a Tundra but I've used them on E30/E36/E46 mac struts a bunch with ok results. A billion times less E36 M3ty than the $11 HF single use ones.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3giTEKZIfTmz6NsrSof75IYbqhURZ3GiSNGLUsCYzOVcfX7Rl4gJswUod36cdD4B