pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/12 2:33 p.m.

I have some raw steel that I need to cut and paint. It has typical light surface rust from being stored at the supplier. What is the best method to remove and then paint? I hate to use a grinder, too rough. Light sandpaper in a sander might be OK. Or perhaps a spinning wheel of some sort? Even a bucket and brillo pads seems doable.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
1/25/12 2:44 p.m.

I'd probably use some type of metal prep. You know, acid.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/12 3:25 p.m.

If you've got a little time, try electrolysis:

Photobucket

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/25/12 3:45 p.m.

4" angle grinder, wire wheel. Rustbegone.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
1/25/12 3:59 p.m.

Coca-Cola is as good as anything else for it

motomoron
motomoron Dork
1/25/12 4:01 p.m.

If it's very light, a burgundy Scotchbrite pad with Lacquer thinner or acetone if you're about to weld or paint, and WD40 if you're not going to paint for a while works fine. For slightly heavier encrustations a Scotchbrite stripper wheel (drill or angle grinder) or2"-3" surface conditioning discs in a die grinder work great.

And as stated above, a cup wire wheel (Plain, not knotted bristle) works great.

!!!ALWAYS WEAR A FULL FACE SHIELD WHEN USING A WIRE WHEEL IN AN ANGLE GRINDER!!!

A while back, after finishing wire wheeling a piece of steel I noticed a bit of wire sticking out of my thigh. "That's funny" I thought, "Must be just a little piece of a wire 'cause they're nearly 2" long" .

I tried to pull it out with my fingers and couldn't get a good enough grip. So I grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and gave a tug...

And pulled a wire out that had penetrated well over an inch. Imagine if you will, that sticking out of your remaining eye, all "Andalusian Dog" style. Eww.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
1/25/12 4:13 p.m.

Vinegar works incredibly well, you'll need to submerge the part though which might be a problem on something large. 8 hours in vinegar will strip any rust and leave clean metal.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/25/12 5:08 p.m.

The cup type brushes work good, the Scotchbrites do too but man they wear out QUICK.

I was wirewheeling rust and bondo off once, it was cool outside so I was wearing a sweatshirt. After I was done, I was astounded at the number of wires sticking out of the shirt.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/12 5:28 p.m.

A few days ago, I pulled a piece of wire from a Dremel wire wheel out of my chest. It had gone through my jacket and shirt. I hadn't used the Dremel in at least a week.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
1/25/12 7:23 p.m.

Muriatic Acid

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/26/12 4:23 a.m.

Shotgun? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/26/12 5:09 a.m.
Woody wrote: A few days ago, I pulled a piece of wire from a Dremel wire wheel out of my chest. It had gone through my jacket and shirt. I hadn't used the Dremel in at least a week.

It took you a week to find a steel wire stuck in your chest? Dang how often do you bathe?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XEt019LLIojdXqZ97enQ1OhBYmvgTu6fiZNh6pwUKumcyYr1g4wyD5ZZtsAaSekN