carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/21/11 10:33 p.m.

I need to recover the top of a bench prior to Thanksgiving and the arrival of all the company.

I have a vinyl cover I need to remove and replace with fabric. Fabric breathes and vinyl doesn't hence it would blow up like a balloon when you sat on it and it eventually broke thru in some weak places, but that's not what this is all about.

I have umpteen gillion staples around the edges I need to remove before I can recover it. The underlying base is made of particle board. Is there a quicker and easier way to remove all those staples than with a screwdriver?

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/21/11 10:59 p.m.

I had to take a bunch out of the back of a folding futon-sofa thing. After the screwdriver method on the first 5 of 100, I grabbed an old "Painter's 5-in-1" tool and ground a thin chisel that was just a hair narrower than the inside dimension of a staple. Push and wiggle it under then lift to pop the staple out. Took about 4 seconds a staple + 10 minutes to make the tool.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/21/11 11:07 p.m.

an awl or that sharpened painter tool to dig n loosen if they're tight, nippers to finish

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/21/11 11:09 p.m.

I have a carpet guy's staple remover - curved handle with a flat front and a little blade to dig under the staples. Works like a charm - like a second or two a staple. Like this only about 30 years older.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/22/11 6:30 a.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Yep. One of these will save much frustration... if it only pulls up one side, grab the staple with a pair of channel-locks, then lever/roll it out.

When we demo'd the g/f's kitchen floor, the linoleum had been glued down over 1/4" plywood that had been stapled down with 1" long, 1/4" staples. Most of the time, the staples would pull through the ply and remain in the sub-floor. We were cursing the inventor of the pnuematic staple gun and I got very good at pulling them out with channel-locks...

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/22/11 7:38 a.m.

I used a set of wire-cutting pliers similar to these after pulling carpet on the stairs:

Wedge one side into the loop and use leverage to get the staple out. When a staple broke, a pair of regular pliers was used to pull-out the ends.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/22/11 7:49 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: I used a set of wire-cutting pliers similar to these after pulling carpet on the stairs: Wedge one side into the loop and use leverage to get the staple out. When a staple broke, a pair of regular pliers was used to pull-out the ends.

+1, except I use Channellock end cutter pliers:

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/22/11 8:01 a.m.

My staple gun came with a staple remover. Just a little tapered pry bar.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/11 8:05 a.m.

When removing carpet padding, I used a flat screwdriver and a spring-loaded pair of pliers. The screwdriver popped out one side, then I grabbed it and pulled it out with the pliers. The spring makes it a one-handed tool. I could do 2-3 per second.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
11/22/11 8:17 a.m.

Someone had to...

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/22/11 9:42 a.m.

The above tools will work fine for a handful of staples, but it you have a lot to remove, grab one of these:

Grab the staple and roll it out. After the 50th staple, you'll appreciate the less effort required due to the long handles. After the 500th staple, you're looking for every possible way to reduce effort and make the task faster.

We really wanted to kill the guy who installed the underlayment... "I got this new toy and 6000 staples to burn through..."

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 10:48 a.m.

Thanx. I'll head down to Lowes to see if they have one of these at lunch.

oldtin wrote: I have a carpet guy's staple remover - curved handle with a flat front and a little blade to dig under the staples. Works like a charm - like a second or two a staple. Like this only about 30 years older.
Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/22/11 10:55 a.m.

Another vote for the channel locks. that thing ^^^ assumes the staple isn't flush to the floor

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 11:28 a.m.

They are flush to the floor which means I have to pry and then grab with some sort of pliers, that's why I like the idea of the staple puller thingy. Now if I can only find one.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/22/11 12:54 p.m.

For the flush ones, I used a flat screw driver to pry them up enough for the channel locks to grip them. The problem with the puller tool (we have one at work) is it will often only pull up one of the tangs, so you still have to plier it out.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 2:16 p.m.

NOBODY has such a beast. I even tried the fabric/upholstery stores.

I guess I'm prying and pulling.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/22/11 2:33 p.m.

Office supply store?

The tool pictured above was hotlinked from http://westerntradesupply.com that sells contractor flooring tools. It looks like you'll need to call to get a price.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 3:59 p.m.

I can't wait. I have company coming Thursday so I have to be finished by then.

My screwdriver type pry tool is working, it's just slow and more work than I'd have to do if I had an all in one tool

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/22/11 4:06 p.m.
carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 5:01 p.m.
oldtin wrote: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Staple-Remover-4PMD6?Pid=searchgot a grainger near you?

No

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/22/11 5:02 p.m.

Oh man, I jumped into this thread expecting to see cool stuff like this:

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/22/11 5:18 p.m.

Yeah, I 've got one of those.

I sat around one night watching TV & removing the staples from my groin area.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufqfBX69MCeDF9UG8Ag7UFXO8xaoXlu6Lo5vGJJo2aTTiwhtguwI4d6UfawBd8h3