drainoil
drainoil Dork
11/13/19 4:59 p.m.

Mrs drainoil is looking at VW Golf’s, specifically early 2000 models (mostly due to body style, mpg and price range). I know diddley about them so open to any and all input, things to look for, problematic model years etc.  She has her eye on an ‘01 GLS with the 1.8 turbo and auto (has 180kish miles). Things like a sunroof and auto trans are mandatory (I lost the battle long to get her to learn a manual trans). I have to admit I’m somewhat leary of older VW’s with lots of miles seems I’ve read more bad than good about them.  However the fun potential of a small fwd turbo car does peak my interest even though this would be a daily driver.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/13/19 5:29 p.m.

Little brother has owned four Mk4 VWs (three Golfs and a Passat wagon). Only one was a 1.8t, all were manuals. His 1.8 Golf was a turd, mostly because it hadn't been well taken care of and maintained (both during and prior to his ownership). Plenty of pep, handled fairly well. Parts aren't real cheap. 

As with everything, take your time hunting and buy the best example you can afford.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
11/13/19 5:31 p.m.

Early 2k VW were a bit prone to electrical issues, MAF, O2 coils on all models. Window regulators were a giant PITA but likely upgraded parts have been installed.

We had an 00 Jetta 2.0 and a 04 Jetta 1.8t both with auto trans and didn't have any issues or catastrophic failures with either of them. Changing the trans fluid early and often would be a good idea as it's a "lifetime" part that's well used. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
11/13/19 6:17 p.m.

I have an 03 - one of the best cars I have ever had.

NO 1.8T's - they are the source of most of the VW CEL jokes out there. I am also not a fan of their autotragic's.

2.0L is the best bet for reliable cars. They are slow but reliable. Keep in mind that most of these cars are getting to be 15 years old.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/13/19 6:24 p.m.

I love the way they feel inside and out- and I'd never own one. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/13/19 6:34 p.m.

I'm about as big a fan-boy of the Mk IV as you're likely to find on this forum, but a 2000-ish Golf with a 1.8t and an auto trans?

This is a bad idea in more ways than I have time to type. But in a nutshell, that combination just screams "deferred maintenance". You know what VAG turbo cars will not tolerate? Deferred maintenance. 

Run away. Run far away.  As quickly as possible.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
11/13/19 11:17 p.m.

Don't, the only ones really worth messing with anymore are the manual 1.8t and TDI, they are usually in pretty bad shape by now and not all that easy to work on.  A cheap 1.8t auto will be a disaster.  If you want a cheap beater euro car a W210 Mercedes E320 would probably be better (as long as you can get a non rusty one, if you live in a place that cars rust then you don't want one). 

drainoil
drainoil Dork
11/14/19 7:22 a.m.

Thank you for all the great input. Seeing these replies are enough to make her move on to something else.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/14/19 7:57 a.m.

Yeah, almost 20 year old Mk4, 1.8T, with an automatic trans and a sunroof?  That's a recipe to empty your wallet if I've ever heard it and I'm a huge VAG fan...

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
11/14/19 7:09 p.m.

By now there is a chance it won't smell like crayons.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
11/14/19 7:12 p.m.
drainoil said:

Thank you for all the great input. Seeing these replies are enough to make her move on to something else.

Smart woman. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/16/19 1:07 a.m.

Mrs DX has one of the last newer Jettas you can get w/the 2 liter (2014). I told her to drive that thing into the ground. Less stuff in that car to go wrong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2jwcw8AvIL0vpz9JIq7lg6CorlIbU5MLMzE8YalBqb3Dm7dxAKkQOwDRnXTKeHpz