4/24/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

That’s not ridiculous, that’s a score!

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 5:35 p.m.
Woody said:

I bought an ozone generator.

My friend told me that he bought one to kill viruses in his home.

I used the same excuse, but bought mine mostly to get the funk out of cheap old cars.

https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-MA5000-Commercial-Generator-Deodorizer/dp/B0795P2674

I've got one that looks the same but in black. It's great for car interiors.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/24/20 6:02 p.m.
11GTCS said:

I thought so.  Has a bad bushing on the steering shaft and the owner got frustrated because he had just put all new blades, belts and a tune up on it. Said screw it and bought a zero turn... all over a $13 bushing. 

Right place right time. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/20 6:36 p.m.

It's gotten worse. I'm looking at rolexes. I do not want a rolex. I don't wear watches. But a chef I like to watch on YouTube has a triple gold Daytona and goddamn that's a cool watch. Not used viper money cool, but still sweet. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
4/25/20 6:13 a.m.

Had to pay for termite treatment. Does that count? 

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/25/20 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Out of nowhere I've decided I want one of these. I'm not a fancy watch guy, but I do like watches. I'm trying to figure out what prompted this specific want.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/25/20 11:21 a.m.

Getting much closer to importing race bikes from Japan. I have a quote on the price and shipping and just need to sort out customs and what not. Completely idiotic. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
4/25/20 12:04 p.m.

Phase one, collect a bunch of car, truck and gun related semi useful stuff
Phase two, wait for apocalypse and stimulus checks to drop
Phase 3, use fire sale tactic and desperate sellers to trade up seven levels of cool, comfortable, stylish, high performing badassery

All purchased in the last 20 days

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/25/20 12:30 p.m.

I just finished my loop picking up pieces to finish up my 2019 Hot Rod Power Tour collection display, a frost-proof hose bib install, a Ford Motorsport SFI flywheel and Ram clutch, and some Ohlins shocks for the Harley.  Tomorrow I’m picking up some Cougar parts.  Happy fella here.  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/25/20 12:31 p.m.
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Out of nowhere I've decided I want one of these. I'm not a fancy watch guy, but I do like watches. I'm trying to figure out what prompted this specific want.

Well played sir!   Love the Monaco!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/25/20 12:36 p.m.

Have to sell a few more bits to fund the purchase of limited edition HRE 19's made for the Mallett CTS V's.  Utterly unnecessary but purdy..

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/25/20 5:03 p.m.

I got a very good deal on a set of 9000 Aero wheels for my '91 900SE convertible. The problem is that the SE already has a set of very nice wheels and tires on it, and these won't fit my other 900 because it is older and has a different bolt pattern. Guess I'll have to pick up another one.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/25/20 9:25 p.m.

10 boxes of Samoas GS cookies. 

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/27/20 8:39 a.m.

'06 DTS. Black over tan. No power steering. No brakes. 111k miles. The PO's mechanic gave them one of the craziest repair quotes I've ever seen, so I grabbed it cheap and will get it squared away.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/27/20 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Powar (Forum Supporter) :

One of my favorite stock SAAB wheels.  yes

Does 2 pallets of flooring count?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/27/20 12:35 p.m.
11GTCS said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

2 crazy cymbals, the left is the new 26 inch model

I wonder if you could make a homemade version of one of those and try and figure a way to press a bell into one.   Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

David Gingery had a book on metal working where he had recommended starting with sheet aluminum. Basically his method was to start with a flat piece of steel and a tree stump with various size pockets cut out of it, and hammer the metal into the holes until he had about the right shape.

My own update - the raft my parents had was theoretically large enough for me to take the kids around a small lake with, but just barely. It also had a pinhole leak (or, quite possibly, developed one after being put in the water). As it was several decades old, I wasn't sure it was worth patching. So I ordered this:

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/27/20 5:58 p.m.
11GTCS said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

2 crazy cymbals, the left is the new 26 inch model

I wonder if you could make a homemade version of one of those and try and figure a way to press a bell into one.   Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

I don't know how I missed your message but I just saw this.

I wonder too. There was a guy making these.... ridiculous sized aluminum rides. Like....40 inch? That I wanted to try but he priced them waaaayyyyy high.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
4/27/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Well, I saw more than a few of the real thing being made when I was a kid so I have some ideas.   Don’t have a massive hydraulic press with custom dies or an annealing oven so....along the same lines of Mad Scientist Matt’s idea above, I’d probably make a buck out of wood and hammer into shape with dead blow mallets.  In my spare time, lol.   I did do a search on aluminum stock, how thick are those flat ones roughly?   I’m a little concerned that aluminum will get quickly work hardened and crack if pounded too much but hey, they make compound curves on car parts and aircraft out of aluminum.  Discuss?

Don't get too excited, this is likely a theoretical exercise.  For background, Paiste uses sheet stock for their cymbals, different alloys of bronze depending on the line.  They take a big ass torch and heat the center of the disk to anneal it just before they press the bell so that might work with aluminum to a degree.  Zildjian/ Sabian (Same family, long sad story if you weren’t aware of the history) start with their own bronze alloy “pancakes” on the higher end cymbals and heat / roll / heat roll to rough thickness then cut to diameter and press in the general shape followed by hammering and lathing. Yeah, that’s a whole different thing.   (Zildjian and Sabian also make sheet alloy cymbals in their entry level and mid level lines) Paiste is pretty similar in terms of pressing, hammering and lathing they just start with a flat disc of bronze alloy made to their specs.

See what you’ve started now!   TLDR; 11GTCS is hallucinating after being stuck in the basement home office again and it’s still raining.  Now he’s on a cymbal tangent...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/20 12:16 p.m.

Recently ordered some fairly pedestrian bike spares I likely could've picked up from nearby stores if they were open/had stuff in stock, next I might have to order a drill bit to use with the local Wal-Mart's very last pack of expanding wall plugs because I don't have a bit quite the right size...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/28/20 9:13 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Well now you went and done it. I got to thinking I needed a ridiculous purchase so I could feel adequate enough to post in this thread and miraculously this happened!!!!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/29/20 12:29 a.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Well, I saw more than a few of the real thing being made when I was a kid so I have some ideas.   Don’t have a massive hydraulic press with custom dies or an annealing oven so....along the same lines of Mad Scientist Matt’s idea above, I’d probably make a buck out of wood and hammer into shape with dead blow mallets.  In my spare time, lol.   I did do a search on aluminum stock, how thick are those flat ones roughly?   I’m a little concerned that aluminum will get quickly work hardened and crack if pounded too much but hey, they make compound curves on car parts and aircraft out of aluminum.  Discuss?

Don't get too excited, this is likely a theoretical exercise.  For background, Paiste uses sheet stock for their cymbals, different alloys of bronze depending on the line.  They take a big ass torch and heat the center of the disk to anneal it just before they press the bell so that might work with aluminum to a degree.  Zildjian/ Sabian (Same family, long sad story if you weren’t aware of the history) start with their own bronze alloy “pancakes” on the higher end cymbals and heat / roll / heat roll to rough thickness then cut to diameter and press in the general shape followed by hammering and lathing. Yeah, that’s a whole different thing.   (Zildjian and Sabian also make sheet alloy cymbals in their entry level and mid level lines) Paiste is pretty similar in terms of pressing, hammering and lathing they just start with a flat disc of bronze alloy made to their specs.

See what you’ve started now!   TLDR; 11GTCS is hallucinating after being stuck in the basement home office again and it’s still raining.  Now he’s on a cymbal tangent...

It's pretty thin, I can grab some calipers and check soon.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/29/20 8:22 a.m.

Ultrasabers has their $75 Mystery Bag special.  Some of my Star Wars friends said they have good quality stuff so I took the plunge.  Good sabers go $150 and up real quick.  Added bonus - I had $43 in PayPal I forgot from people buying die cut vinyl decals recently.  Bonus!

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/20 9:00 a.m.

My most ridiculous purchase so far.

Was down to 2 rolls when a friend texted me it was available at Costco.  Got there 20 minutes before closing time & there was some left!  At a roll per week I should be good until around Thanksgiving...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/29/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

Just bought this last night.  They had a limit of two, but I doubt I’ll go through this one bottle before it expires:

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
4/29/20 8:06 p.m.

Dude, score le deux!  That’s sweet, enjoy the new ride.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zxoBZJvJ81ZFE866gRlpX4Cezhw8JdqBsjEWUa5X1nRaM8w5feoo12Jt1QLcUuCD