Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/08 10:21 a.m.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obituaries/chi-house-peters-jr-081002-ht,0,6812450.story

House Peters Jr., the original Mr. Clean, died on Wednesday. He was 92. Peters died of pneumonia at the Motion Picture and Television Fund Hospital in Los Angeles, said his son, Jon Peters. The elder Peters' most memorable role came as Mr. Clean — a muscular man with a bald head, a hoop earring and a no-nonsense attitude toward dirt and grime. From the late 1950s and into the early 1960s, Peters Jr. helped advertise the famous household cleaner with the trademark jingle, "Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean." Peters Jr. played many supporting roles through his career, including working with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry on their television shows. He also appeared in "Perry Mason," ''Gunsmoke," ''The Twilight Zone" and "Lassie." "He always played the heavy," Jon Peters said, referring to his father's customary roles as a villain or brawny character. "Even though he wasn't happy about being cast in those roles, he worked really hard at it." His father's acting career spanned 1935-1967, according to his Web site. He also wrote an autobiography, "Another Side of Hollywood," in which he describes growing up the son of an actress and silent film actor in Beverly Hills. His father, Robert House Peters Sr., has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Peters Jr. was never a leading man, but played many character parts in cowboy movies and won a Golden Boot Award in 2000 for his lifetime contributions to the western genre, his son said. Peters Jr. was born Jan. 12, 1916, in New Rochelle, N.Y., as Robert House Peters Jr. His son said Peters Jr. studied drama in high school and became inspired to pursue an acting career. He also is survived by his wife, Lucy Pickett, a daughter, another son and four grandchildren.
SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/2/08 11:02 a.m.

Also survived by his sons: Hugh and Dirty

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/2/08 11:44 a.m.

In attendance at the funeral were the Pillsbury Dough Boy and Toucan Sam. The early morning funeral was catered by Mr. Coffee and Aunt Jemima.

"He left us too soon," said a sobbing Jolly Green Giant, "He helped me out when I was still green in this business." G.I. Joe called from Iraq to try and console the Clean family, but couldn't attend for obvious reasons. "He was a real American Hero, that Mr. Clean. Kind of a panty-waist actor-type, but a good clean guy. Always left a lemony smell everywhere he went."

Brawny never really got along with Mr. Clean and is just happy that the competition is thinning out. Nonetheless, he was there to pay his respects with his life partner, Armand Hammer, and adopted children; Bounty, Viva, and Scott.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/2/08 11:46 a.m.

Rumors have it that Mrs. Butterworths is crushed.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones New Reader
10/2/08 12:20 p.m.

In Germany he in known as "Mr Proper"

Kendall

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
10/2/08 12:52 p.m.

I heard he died from a bad case of ammonia.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
10/2/08 2:56 p.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: In Germany he in known as "Mr Proper" Kendall

And in Indonesia he was "Mr. Power."

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/2/08 3:38 p.m.

His replacement, Mr Sparkle, said:

(Loose translation: he paved the way for me to become a pop icon and make lots of yen.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xw5MDGzZBbbtNBdxSGlJUUcGMVivGfxAcAEF1h0a2foerIvqId1XpcimQcPemxlk