John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 8:05 a.m.

read the rules first....then try...

http://freeweb.siol.net/danej/riverIQGame.swf

The rules are: Click on the link then click on blue circle. Use the rules below. This is going to do your head in, but it can be done. I've worked it out. For those of you who are not going to to even understand the rules (you know who you are) get someone to explain them to you.

Apparently this is an IQ test given to job applicants in Japan: "Everybody has to cross the river". The following rules apply: Only 2 persons on the raft at a time. The father cannot stay with any of the daughters without their mother's presence. The mother cannot stay with any of the sons without their father's presence. The thief (striped shirt) cannot stay with any family member if the policeman is not there. Only the father, mother and policeman know how to operate the raft. To start, click on the big blue circle on the right. To move the people click on them. To move the raft click on the pole on the opposite side of the river.

I am not smart enough.

John Brown
6/4/08 8:16 a.m.

I figured it out.

seann
seann New Reader
6/4/08 11:17 a.m.

pretty lame test, if you can only get one of two scores. Perhaps there is a score in japenese that you can't read based on how many times the boat goes back and forth. They sure are happy when they all get to the other side.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/4/08 12:24 p.m.

what a load of poop. The thief would have escaped unguarded.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/4/08 12:50 p.m.

Talk about an F-ed up family!!!

That should be a trailer in the background, with a Camaro up on block sitting next to it...

John Brown
6/4/08 1:08 p.m.

Seems like a typical border crossing from Mexico to the US to me... The only ones not killing each other are the cops and the kids...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/08 1:31 p.m.

HOLY CRAP that was hard! Only messed up twice though.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/4/08 1:44 p.m.

took me a few miniutes and a few mis-steps... but not really that hard...

Agree score should be beased on number of boat trips.

Jeff

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/4/08 2:11 p.m.

Apparently I'm an idiot.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/4/08 5:18 p.m.

No, really your not. You just dont care enough about puzzles.

John Brown
6/5/08 8:05 a.m.

My boss stated there was four IQ types for the test:

1: Can't figure it out - I.Q.= idiot 2: Figure it out after a week - I.Q.= dumbass 3: Figure it out after an hour - I.Q.= average couch potato 4. Decide that it is a waste of time after realizing it is in another language- I.Q.= genius!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/5/08 9:49 a.m.

I think it's the kind of thing you need to fiddle with or at least give some undivided attention to for a varying amount of time depending on your puzzle skills.

I work at a college in a creative realm and as part of a class I teach about boosting creativity. Bottom line anyone can be creative and/or get good a puzzles/brainteasers. It takes practice not total intelligence!

Jeff

Stuc
Stuc Reader
6/5/08 9:52 a.m.

How do I practice being more creative?

John Brown
6/5/08 9:54 a.m.

1: Build a Challenge Car.

2: Edit a Challenge Car budget.

3: Talk to Wally.

4: Eat SPAM.

There are others as well but those are the basics.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/5/08 10:46 a.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: ...Bottom line anyone can be creative and/or get good a puzzles/brainteasers. It takes practice not total intelligence!

I definately agree with this. These types of puzzles could be decent intelligence test if you could guarantee that that the person had never done a similar one. Having exposure and practice makes them much easier. In the case of this one, if you realize the primary trick (hinted at above about leaving the prisoner alone, or as in the classic River puzzle or the fox, goose and bag of beans) it makes it substantially easier.

""

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/08 1:13 p.m.

And to think I failed creative writing. Take that Ms Stein.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
83N71oaNeoFFjxUfSCAHNatdFpfQgKnDs6ODqcz3tEWxdy52IauxHWprnqSW1M94