1 2 3 ... 6
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/20 7:35 p.m.

Watching the most recent episode, driving the WreckRunner to Monument Valley and other locales.

They go to Durango Colorado and in the middle of a gorgeous park they change cylinder heads.

I love these guys, I love the roadtrips and fixing E36 M3 on the way, but I dont get stopping in the middle of a park to upgrade.  Some of it is made for TV drama, of course but I know a lot of it is just them.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/30/20 7:43 p.m.

I'm a big Roadkill fan for sure.  I Subscribed to MotorTrendOnDemand just because of the show leaving the Tube of You's....... but.......  They've lost some of the magic over the last year or two.  Freiburger and Finnigan are usually great together, but it's just not the same with Tony or Steve substituting in.

The recent episode where Finnigan pulls the Firebird drag car out of the barn was garbage.  Come on, it's even the same color as the Crusher Camaro.  Yawn.

I hope they can get back to their roots and regain the chemistry of the earlier stuff.

Long Live Stubby Bob !

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
10/30/20 7:50 p.m.

Even though I'm not much of a real offroader I've turned to Dirt Every Day for some of the Roadkill magic. Sure it's all produced stuff but they still capture the joy of building dumb stuff and adventuring well. 

I was pretty against Motortrend when the YouTube split happened but they have nailed it in my book with all the content they pulled in. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/30/20 7:54 p.m.

It's verging a little too close to some of the major networks car shows these days. The original, $1500, throw a dart at a map approach was great. Their personal projects? Not so much. Ymmv. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/30/20 7:59 p.m.

In reply to GhiaMonster :

Agreed.  Dirt Every Day continues to deliver.

Hot Rod Garage (& Lucky Costa) are still pretty good too.  Usually.  I enjoyed the Twinpala

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/30/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Dirt every day is great. I even quite enjoy roadkill garage. And engine masters. It's just roadkill that seems to have lost the way. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/30/20 8:08 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

True, but very Ironic, because Roadkill seems to be where all the others spun off from.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/31/20 6:43 a.m.

I think Kung Flu had something to do with it.

But, I've heard a lot of grumbling all around the car-o-sphere about Roadkill's dip towards mediocrity. I'm getting way more entertainment and honest laughs from Junkyard Digs and Vice Grip Garage. RK should be Freiberger and Finnegan because they play so well off each other. Not that the other guys aren't good guys but there is a Top Gear kind of magic between F&F.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/31/20 7:17 a.m.

RK has definitely lost something, but it's inevitable Whalen a series runs that long. The last really good episode I saw was the HRPT with Finnegan and Tony in Blasphemi. They are at their best when they have a real goal and the repairs are problems they run into organically instead of planned mods. 

I like DED a lot too but they suffer from some of the same problems. The episode at the end of last season where they missed the Dodge on trail was a low point. The newer episode reviving the Avalanche was much better. 

RK Garage is really good right now. I like seeing real shop work with all its problems and successes. It reminds me most of real car-guy life, and has some usable info. Freiberger and Dulcich do well together, they're obviously old friends and have good chemistry. 

HRG is one of the best right now. Tony and Lucky have great energy together and they're genuinely funny. Lucky is one of the few people that make me actually LOL. Their projects are pretty hardcore, maybe more than the average viewer could pull off, but it's obvious that it's real shop projects. They're also good at what they do mechanically. 

COVID has had an impact on them all, no doubt. I've been impressed with what they've managed to pull off under the conditions but it sure limits what the shows can really do  

Matt330LS
Matt330LS New Reader
10/31/20 7:18 a.m.

I'm a fan of RK and a Motor Trend on Demand subscriber.  I preferred the F&F shows but all in all it's still a good show.   With the shows being headquartered in California I think it makes it more difficult for them to produce content, but I think we'll see an upswing once we can get past some of these COVID restrictions.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
10/31/20 9:19 a.m.

I really like the HRG series and wish there were more shows.  I do watch all the others, they go up and down depending on episodes...

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/31/20 9:23 a.m.

I am grateful for MT On Demand. It’s certainly worth the monthly price.  

Roadkill Gold really appeals to my inner Aspberger’s syndrome.  I’ve got to get to that yard with all the seemingly complete A1 VWs so I can relive my youth. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/20 9:27 a.m.

I have watched RK since episode 1  (which was a terrible challenge between a rented Lambo and a borrowed rat rod) and even before that (episode 0 the Buick convertible rescue, the original Vette Hack videos, and Freiburger's videos on BangShift). RK has always been up and down. COVID had made it harder and so has Finnegan moving to Georgia and doing his own stuff.

That said, I enjoy all the spinoffs as well. RK Garage is seriously one of the best car shows. Entertaining and I still genuinely learn things from them. Dulchech is great on his own property. HR Garage is also amazing, Lucky and Tony have built some wild cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/31/20 10:29 a.m.

I haven't seen a fresh RoadKill since it dropped off YouTubes. Any new episode would be a treat. You can only watch the birth of the General Mayhem so many times.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/31/20 10:36 a.m.

That's okay, our YouTube is better anyway. wink

https://youtube.com/grassrootsmotorsports

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/31/20 11:01 a.m.

I still watch Roadkill, still enjoy it. It has its ups and downs, but that is normal for every show. They've had some so-so episodes lately, but I am not going to hold that against them because of everything going on. The fact that they are still even able to get out and make episodes is a miracle, and I thank them for at least trying. Roadkill Garage is still stellar.

Mr_Asa
10/31/20 11:53 a.m.

I tell you what I want for an episode, a tour of all the damn projects in Dulcich's farm.  If he wasn't such a Mopar freak it would be a good junkyard.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/20 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

They basically did that once in an episode of Roadkill extra.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/31/20 1:18 p.m.

As with most things...  needs more rotary!

It would be pretty funny to see those guys try and deal with a rotary since they seem wildly V8 centric.

Mr_Asa
10/31/20 3:48 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

They did one for a cheap car challenge, I think.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/31/20 3:52 p.m.

I enjoy the show, but I think many of the more recent episodes have lost a bit of the magic of the early ones. It's a common problem with long-running shows - how many times can you repeat the same basic script and stay fresh? Buy crappy car, drive car, breakdown, fix, wash, rinse, repeat. But I'd still rather see that than "let's see how much power we can get this piece of junk to make with $13,000 worth of parts." I'd really like to see them branch out beyond the American V8 comfort zone, and/or (when conditions permit) do some longer multi-part episodes (cheap car cross-country or similar).

RKG is really entertaining as well, and I find myself wishing the episodes were a bit longer at times. HRG has its moments, but I don't watch it all that often.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/31/20 4:18 p.m.

I have loved this  show from the start.  I think some of the more boring episodes show that they do not stage episodes.  They have to have some that just don't go to to plan, meaning, nothing breaks.  I think of the mighty car mods episode where something broke and the aussie said, "you guys don't fake this"?  Frieburger talked about the "hairy tow" episode being boring because the truck worked the entire time.

I remember Frieburger remarking that rebuilding the blasphemi engine on a picknick table was pure joy. I think they love to do things on the road.  I will agree that some episodes are better than others, but as you all have said, Motor trend is worth the money.  I enjoy the road trips, but I am sure they would get boring if that was all they did.

I did love, love the episodes where they did one lap of america, hot rod drag week and a lemons race. With that said, I also love when they admit to putting things together wrong and ordering the wrong parts.  Makes me feel better about my lack of skill.

Mr_Asa
10/31/20 4:22 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I'd really like to see them branch out beyond the American V8 comfort zone, and/or (when conditions permit) do some longer multi-part episodes (cheap car cross-country or similar).

On Engine Masters, Dulcich just built up a slant six that had a goal of beating a 383 of the same vintage.  I think they are slowly starting to get there.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
10/31/20 4:36 p.m.

Came in here hoping to see recipes

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/31/20 4:38 p.m.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FKwyZDWn06cfanJvAFRk2MVoz5rurVRyF3NGw6W54xLYUjWJQ0XO0efs7TNGNsSH