lrrs
lrrs Reader
8/25/16 9:48 a.m.

GF's house needs a new roof. Got a couple quotes, the last roofer is pushing the GAF products/system, its about 30-50% more than most others quote, although there was one quote higher.

So the pitch is all the GAF products are of higher quality and work together to be better than the typical asphalt roof. Also that not anyone can be a certified GAF installer. Guessing its like most other certifications, pay up, pass a simple background test, and take a class. Is the Cert something special or just another marketing tool ?

The guy giving the quote seemed to be working up towards the hard sell, but stopped short as my GF was not their, but wants to come back to talk to her, guessing the hard sell will be then as she owns her house, she would have to be the one to sign the contract.

Any GRM'ers had experience with GAF or a roof installed lately ?

Thanks Steve

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/25/16 10:04 a.m.

GAF makes fine asphalt shingles, but no reason to pay a 30%-50% premium for. And being a Certified Installer means that you go to a couple training classes. They may require continuing education, but I doubt it. What it probably does mean is that they will offer you a GAF certified warranty, as opposed to whatever uncertified warranty a non-certified installer may or may not offer. The GAF warranty will be backed by GAF (to some extent) whereas the typical installer's warranty will be backed by the installer's company... for as long as it is around.

No way to know any of this for sure until you get the details and a specimen warranty to look at, from each bidder.

java230
java230 Dork
8/25/16 10:19 a.m.

Meh likely not worth it IMO. All the asphalt singles have gotten way better, and are not even calling them 30/50 year anymore they are "lifetime" now. My local guy I use has been using Pabco, seems like good stuff, but they are seem about the same to me except the really cheap stuff.

trucke
trucke Dork
8/25/16 4:08 p.m.

The GAF is sold by the big box stores. Not the preferred asphalt shingles around here. Sounds like this guy is planning to make a very high margin.

Shingles are only part of the roofing system. Are they using the sticky backed ice shield and where, are they using titanium underlayment instead of roofing paper, how many nails per shingle?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/16 8:43 p.m.

Trucke has nailed it.

And let me add this: do you know anyone who has successfully won a warranty claim on defective asphalt shingles?

I believe the answer to that is nope. (unless it was a bad batch of shingles which were obviously bad immediately. That can happen. )

Otherwise, shingle warranties are pro rated to be worth basically nothing well before they wear out.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
8/25/16 9:00 p.m.

I did my workshop in GAF shingles. It's "L" shape, with 3 gable ends. I think they were a 25 year shingle or something.

My house got the roof replaced when we bought it. I paid a bit more to have Sears do the roof. They had a good low interest plan at the time, and while the fly-by-night roofing company they sub-contracted may or may not still be in business, Sears was likely to still be around.

I know of one who had their roof replaced by an unknown local roofing company that never billed them because they went under soon after - but not before a lien was placed on the house. Joy joy joy.

Sears did good for me.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/16 9:25 p.m.

That Gaf stuff is bs. Not that it is bad to use a GAF certified installer but it is not worth any kind of premium.

Look me up. I own a architectural firm that specializes in building envelope restoration. PM me if you want to chat more about this.

For starters ask the sales person what wind speed zone you house is in and what they are going to do to make the installation conform to the requirements of code for that zone.

And do the have a wind speed warranty that exceeds the zone you are in.

I have lots of fun with those guys that go door to door trying to sell windows and roofing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/16 9:32 p.m.

And for those that are harping about contractor warranties. That is usually dictated by the insurance that they carry. Here in ma most will not offer more than two years. If the offer more than that they either don't have insurance or are in violation of their insurance carriers policies.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bu9UOFMG8zdGdbFACpxC1F8lYknRhXaT46qZgOYxsx5N3Nsl8ZewqmhGAsa0sLy2